DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Weather Apps?

Oh my god, I thought this forums was filled with pros yet suggestions have been soooo poor (just kidding), seriously though, the best weather app (or website) ever ever ever is Windy.

It will give you:
-Wind speed/gust for different flight levels.
-Clouds, cloud base and cloud top, visibility, it also has fog forecast.
-See and compare weather forecast and current conditions from 3 different weather sources on the same tab so you can easily compare them plus it will give you airports METARs.
-See current conditions and forecast on a meteogram which I find extremely helpful.

All of the above is just from the top of my head but the app and website have a TON of features, seriously check it out and you'll never look back (once you get used to the weird UI).

I have yet to find a drone weather app that is even close to accurate, particularly with wind. Also keep in mind wind can be much stronger a few hundred feet off the ground. I don't know how many times I arrived at my destination based on the app's "good to fly" recommendation only to find extreme wind/rain, etc. preventing me from flying.

I was in the UK (mostly Scotland) last Fall and not once in my 3 week trip did UAV forecast have an accurate weather forecast for me, rain and wind being the most misleading. Same deal everywhere else. Nothing beats just gong to the spot to see for yourself, and keeping an eye on local forecasts for general info. Not sure if Ireland would be any different but I would guess not.

YMMV of course, but I have been very unhappy with the accuracy of the drone weather apps in my travels.

I have yet to find a drone weather app that is even close to accurate, particularly with wind. Also keep in mind wind can be much stronger a few hundred feet off the ground. I don't know how many times I arrived at my destination based on the app's "good to fly" recommendation only to find extreme wind/rain, etc. preventing me from flying.

I was in the UK (mostly Scotland) last Fall and not once in my 3 week trip did UAV forecast have an accurate weather forecast for me, rain and wind being the most misleading. Same deal everywhere else. Nothing beats just gong to the spot to see for yourself, and keeping an eye on local forecasts for general info. Not sure if Ireland would be any different but I would guess not.

YMMV of course, but I have been very unhappy with the accuracy of the drone weather apps in my travels.
The weather in Scotland changes every 10 minutes but as I said it has worked ok for me

Oh my god, I thought this forums was filled with pros yet suggestions have been soooo poor (just kidding), seriously though, the best weather app (or website) ever ever ever is Windy.

It will give you:
-Wind speed/gust for different flight levels.
-Clouds, cloud base and cloud top, visibility, it also has fog forecast.
-See and compare weather forecast and current conditions from 3 different weather sources on the same tab so you can easily compare them plus it will give you airports METARs.
-See current conditions and forecast on a meteogram which I find extremely helpful.

All of the above is just from the top of my head but the app and website have a TON of features, seriously check it out and you'll never look back (once you get used to the weird UI).

Nice one Gizmo. Like the look of the Windy website and as I use PC Its nice to be able to sit and flick through the options available. Wind, gusts, thunder, rain etc and the bonus is the waves and swell options as I surf! Cheers for that.

Nice one Gizmo. Like the look of the Windy website and as I use PC Its nice to be able to sit and flick through the options available. Wind, gusts, thunder, rain etc and the bonus is the waves and swell options as I surf! Cheers for that.
Glad you liked it :)

Reactions: RogerMav
ikk gebruik Hover en UAV forecast naast plaatselijke NFZ kaarten. (Belgium)

Hallo Pejebe55, ich verwende auch die UAV-Vorhersage, es ist die beste Wetter-App für Drohnen in Verbindung mit Accuweather - auf diese Weise kann ich nichts falsch machen.

Reactions: Pejebe55
Ventusky - Weather Forecast Maps has a huge amount of weather info, select as desired, but the wind speed / direction at various altitudes is the main one I look at.
Generally 10m and 100m alt is all I worry about, but take it up high and the wind speeds and often total reversal of direction is interesting, as are trade winds at sea level.
It's a Worldwide tool which you use like Google Earth, just locate wherever and check out what's happening.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kquach229