DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wedding Audio and Music Tips

Acrawford56

Reactions
Hey guys!!

Getting ready to shoot my first project as a drone pilot which is a wedding for a friend of mine in roughly six weeks. I've been scrolling through here and seeing a ton of great tips (thank you to those that have posted ideas!!) I wanted to see if there's any recommendations out there as far as where to go to get background music for the video once it's being produced? Also, I'm considering picking up a regular Osmo, attach a microphone to it to help capture the ground footage and audio. Any feedback or other ideas? Much appreciated everyone.

Hey guys!!

Getting ready to shoot my first project as a drone pilot which is a wedding for a friend of mine in roughly six weeks. I've been scrolling through here and seeing a ton of great tips (thank you to those that have posted ideas!!) I wanted to see if there's any recommendations out there as far as where to go to get background music for the video once it's being produced? Also, I'm considering picking up a regular Osmo, attach a microphone to it to help capture the ground footage and audio. Any feedback or other ideas? Much appreciated everyone.
Ask the bride what she prefers, always! Let her give you some music. Editing to something that she'll never like is suicide.
And keep your UAV imagery to (here's the location) and sprinkle that in the edIt. IMO, it's more-so details of the dress, smiles, glass ware, family, her, her bridesmaid, them together, shoes. You start flying all over the place in the edit and you're doomed to fail. UAV location and other imagery a'like should be less than 4% of the edit IMO. She'll never like seeing flyboy flying all over the place in her wedding, I'll guarantee it!

Last edited:
Ask the bride what she prefers, always! Let her give you some music. Editing to something that she'll never like is suicide.
And keep your UAV imagery to (here's the location) and sprinkle that in the edIt. IMO, it's more-so details of the dress, smiles, glass ware, family, her, her bridesmaid, them together, shoes. You start flying all over the place in the edit and you're doomed to fail. UAV location and other imagery a'like should be less that 4% of the edit IMO. She'll never like seeing flyboy flying all over the place in her wedding, I'll guarantee it!
Good to know, I've been picking up on those pointers the more videos I've been watching. Do you have any music sources or websites you'd recommend for the background music?

And keep your UAV imagery to (here's the location) and sprinkle that in the edIt. IMO, it's more-so details of the dress, smiles, glass ware, family, her, her bridesmaid, them together, shoes. You start flying all over the place in the edit and you're doomed to fail. UAV location and other imagery a'like should be less that 4% of the edit IMO. She'll never like seeing flyboy flying all over the place in her wedding, I'll guarantee it!

Very well said.

A Drone Only presence at such a high importance event is a huge short coming and a potential HUGE disappointment to the wedding party. We do drones as an Add-On for weddings but there is no way I'd take on that much responsibility as to be the sole photographer for such an event. The drone just isn't the right tool for the job IMHO.

Reactions: dawgpilot
[edit] This is pretty long, but I wanted the OP to understand some things about how to produce a great wedding video.[/end edit]

I've shot quite a few weddings. Here are some thoughts.

1. Just because you own a drone doesn't mean it is the right tool for the job. I know you want to use your new toy, but you need to think instead of what technology and techniques will provide a great result for the bride and groom (and their families!).

2. Have at least three cameras going during the critical portions of the ceremony, and also at the reception during the key events, including toasts. In a live event, people move in front of cameras; cameras run out of memory or battery; tripods get knocked; and much more. You can always cut to another camera when something happens. On one occasion, with four cameras going, I only had one camera that gave me usable footage during a critical part of the ceremony.

I manage all cameras myself, and during the ceremony when there is singing or someone is doing a long reading, I will walk over to the side cameras and make sure focus & exposure are still OK (manually adjust for the wedding gown, using zebras, so as not to blow it out). The wedding party sometimes moves around, so I also quickly check these other "unmanned" cameras to make sure the framing and focus are still correct.

3. Use MANUAL settings, or really bad things will happen, like focus popping in or out.

4. Get a sound feed directly from the DJ or event manager (whoever controls the sound board). Plug into the board and record that audio onto a device that accepts line level input (I use a Zoom audio recorder).

For a wedding, sound is more important than visuals.

5. Use the drone only for simple establishing shots. Do NOT use it during any critical part of the ceremony. If you want to have drone video of the "ceremony," shoot instead while the still photographer is arranging the wedding party either before the ceremony or after the wedding. If you only include drone video that is shot from the wedding party and beyond (i.e., no one from the audience in the shot), it will look like it was shot during the ceremony. If the still photographer isn't going to line up the wedding party at the altar, as they were during the ceremony, you can ask the bride and photographer if you can get everyone to line up there for a moment so you can take a drone shot.

6. Consider using the drone for the later stages of the reception, if it is outside. One of the toughest things to photograph are cocktail hour circles where, if you photograph from outside the circle, 2/3 of the people have their backs or sides to the camera. If you instead pose everyone, you end up with a lot of phony-looking photos. One solution is to photograph from directly above. I prefer to use a GoPro on a long pole because it is very non-obtrusive compare to a drone, and I can pick up the pole, take a few minutes of video, and then put the pole down and resume taking video with other cameras.

One advantage to using the drone during the reception is that it is usually really loud, and no one will notice the drone.

Here are just a few more things to think about:

The problem with taking drone video is that there is a LOT of setup getting the drone in the air. More important, it is VERY difficult to react to what is going on in front of of you. Remember, this is "run 'n gun" video, meaning you have to deal with whatever happens in front of the camera, and while there are lots of set pieces in a wedding which you can anticipate, you never really know what is going to happen. For instance, in the last wedding I did, the groom (not the bride) kept breaking down and crying while trying to recite his vows. The bride was cracking up over the unexpected event. Fortunately, I had one camera facing the groom, from the side, and a similar setup facing the bride. I got it all (as you can see in the link below).

Here is a simple highlight music video I created from the last wedding I did a year ago. This is a private video, so I'll only keep this up for a few days. Note how many little things happened that I could not possibly have anticipated, but which I reacted to right away. If you are trying to pilot a drone and not have it crash or cause a problem, there is no way you are going to be able to see and react to these things. What's more, while you are doing all the setup and work to get the drone safely into the air, you'll miss all sorts of things that you should be capturing.

BTW, as others have said, use music chosen by the bride. The music you'll hear when you click on this link was most certainly not the music I would have used (the music is fine, but the lyrics are really weird for a wedding piece), but this is what they wanted:

Chronological Wedding Highlights

Last edited:
JUst one other point if you want to put the video up on UTube. Watch copyright. I shot some video of my daughters wedding. The wedding march was played by the organist as she entered the church. Utube deleted the video because they said i did not have aproval fr that piece of music.

Reactions: GFields and BigAl07
JUst one other point if you want to put the video up on UTube. Watch copyright. I shot some video of my daughters wedding. The wedding march was played by the organist as she entered the church. Utube deleted the video because they said i did not have aproval fr that piece of music.
Really good point. In this country (USA) there is no way to get "sync rights," which is what this type of copyright permission is called. "Performance rights" are easy to obtain through ASCAP, BMI, etc., so if you want to perform the song live, on stage, you can pay a few dollars and be in the clear. By contrast, if you want to add music to something you create, we have no licensing system in this country and you actually have to go directly to the artist, not the publishing company, to obtain rights. Obviously, with the millions of posts on YouTube each day, no artist could possibly keep up with the number of requests. YouTube has some automated tools, similar to Shazam, which attempt to flag videos and send them to the proper people so they can file a claim. It is hit-or-miss as to whether your video will get flagged. It also is impossible to predict whether YouTube will slap your wrist by reducing your privileges for a few months (I had it happen once) or whether they will just turn off the audio.

I am surprised that "Bushie" would have had a problem because it is my understanding that Australia is one of the few countries that has worked out a sync rights law that permits people like us to apply for a license to exhibit work using other people's music. However, I don't know how that works, and how much money you have to pay.

[edit] This is pretty long, but I wanted the OP to understand some things about how to produce a great wedding video.[/end edit]

I've shot quite a few weddings. Here are some thoughts.

1. Just because you own a drone doesn't mean it is the right tool for the job. I know you want to use your new toy, but you need to think instead of what technology and techniques will provide a great result for the bride and groom (and their families!).

2. Have at least three cameras going during the critical portions of the ceremony, and also at the reception during the key events, including toasts. In a live event, people move in front of cameras; cameras run out of memory or battery; tripods get knocked; and much more. You can always cut to another camera when something happens. On one occasion, with four cameras going, I only had one camera that gave me usable footage during a critical part of the ceremony.

I manage all cameras myself, and during the ceremony when there is singing or someone is doing a long reading, I will walk over to the side cameras and make sure focus & exposure are still OK (manually adjust for the wedding gown, using zebras, so as not to blow it out). The wedding party sometimes moves around, so I also quickly check these other "unmanned" cameras to make sure the framing and focus are still correct.

3. Use MANUAL settings, or really bad things will happen, like focus popping in or out.

4. Get a sound feed directly from the DJ or event manager (whoever controls the sound board). Plug into the board and record that audio onto a device that accepts line level input (I use a Zoom audio recorder).

For a wedding, sound is more important than visuals.

5. Use the drone only for simple establishing shots. Do NOT use it during any critical part of the ceremony. If you want to have drone video of the "ceremony," shoot instead while the still photographer is arranging the wedding party either before the ceremony or after the wedding. If you only include drone video that is shot from the wedding party and beyond (i.e., no one from the audience in the shot), it will look like it was shot during the ceremony. If the still photographer isn't going to line up the wedding party at the altar, as they were during the ceremony, you can ask the bride and photographer if you can get everyone to line up there for a moment so you can take a drone shot.

6. Consider using the drone for the later stages of the reception, if it is outside. One of the toughest things to photograph are cocktail hour circles where, if you photograph from outside the circle, 2/3 of the people have their backs or sides to the camera. If you instead pose everyone, you end up with a lot of phony-looking photos. One solution is to photograph from directly above. I prefer to use a GoPro on a long pole because it is very non-obtrusive compare to a drone, and I can pick up the pole, take a few minutes of video, and then put the pole down and resume taking video with other cameras.

One advantage to using the drone during the reception is that it is usually really loud, and no one will notice the drone.

Here are just a few more things to think about:

The problem with taking drone video is that there is a LOT of setup getting the drone in the air. More important, it is VERY difficult to react to what is going on in front of of you. Remember, this is "run 'n gun" video, meaning you have to deal with whatever happens in front of the camera, and while there are lots of set pieces in a wedding which you can anticipate, you never really know what is going to happen. For instance, in the last wedding I did, the groom (not the bride) kept breaking down and crying while trying to recite his vows. The bride was cracking up over the unexpected event. Fortunately, I had one camera facing the groom, from the side, and a similar setup facing the bride. I got it all (as you can see in the link below).

Here is a simple highlight music video I created from the last wedding I did a year ago. This is a private video, so I'll only keep this up for a few days. Note how many little things happened that I could not possibly have anticipated, but which I reacted to right away. If you are trying to pilot a drone and not have it crash or cause a problem, there is no way you are going to be able to see and react to these things. What's more, while you are doing all the setup and work to get the drone safely into the air, you'll miss all sorts of things that you should be capturing.

BTW, as others have said, use music chosen by the bride. The music you'll hear when you click on this link was most certainly not the music I would have used (the music is fine, but the lyrics are really weird for a wedding piece), but this is what they wanted:

Chronological Wedding Highlights

Well said!

I appreciate all the feedback everyone!! So this kind of leads me to another question: What steps need to be taken as far as getting the appropriate licensing to use songs in a video?

Really good point. In this country (USA) there is no way to get "sync rights," which is what this type of copyright permission is called. "Performance rights" are easy to obtain through ASCAP, BMI, etc., so if you want to perform the song live, on stage, you can pay a few dollars and be in the clear. By contrast, if you want to add music to something you create, we have no licensing system in this country and you actually have to go directly to the artist, not the publishing company, to obtain rights. Obviously, with the millions of posts on YouTube each day, no artist could possibly keep up with the number of requests. YouTube has some automated tools, similar to Shazam, which attempt to flag videos and send them to the proper people so they can file a claim. It is hit-or-miss as to whether your video will get flagged. It also is impossible to predict whether YouTube will slap your wrist by reducing your privileges for a few months (I had it happen once) or whether they will just turn off the audio.

I am surprised that "Bushie" would have had a problem because it is my understanding that Australia is one of the few countries that has worked out a sync rights law that permits people like us to apply for a license to exhibit work using other people's music. However, I don't know how that works, and how much money you have to pay.
The actual wedding was in the UK, don't know if that complicated things.

I appreciate all the feedback everyone!! So this kind of leads me to another question: What steps need to be taken as far as getting the appropriate licensing to use songs in a video?
In this country, there is no way to do it. You either use the music and risk having the video "taken down," if posted on YouTube, or you use "royalty free" music, which will give you some sort of unknown, not-very-interesting music in the background.

It's a lousy system, but the problem has been around for more than a decade, ever since video sharing became possible, and yet the US government has done nothing to provide new laws that would give all of us the equivalent to performance rights.

More here:

Sync Rights (Wikipedia)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sverkerh