DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Weird disconnection

sirkraker

Reactions
So I would like help figuring out what happened.

I was less than .5 miles from home and aircraft disconnected from smart controller. Gave it a few minutes and it never reconnected. Drove over to last know GPS location and controller would not reconnect to the bird. I figured I had nothing to lose so I rebooted controller and and it gave me the option to connect to my aircraft. As soon as I connected RTH initiated due to lost connection. (around 5 min after initial event). I was able to cancel the RTH and safety land the bird.

Below are my flight records I attached the flight that disconnected and the flight where I was able to reconnect and land the bird. Any insight would be awesome!

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2021-04-03_[15-59-02].txt
    414.1 KB · Views: 6
  • DJIFlightRecord_2021-04-03_[16-07-21].txt
    357.6 KB · Views: 5
As it's not uncommon that the GO4 app in the SC crashes I think this is what happened to you here ... you were still in control though, the sticks was most probably still working ... & equal the manual RTH button, if you had pushed it.

Looking at the first log ... where I have placed the marker just were the log ends (as the app crashes & the log recording stops). The signal was 100% & your AC was at a height of 84,5m & 413,13m from home ...

1617489266227.png

The second log shows below ...

The time line behaves like the flight is much longer ... the first logs total time of 221sec ... then your relocation time + restart of the SC ... & values start to show up again at 498sec where the marker are placed in the chart ... a new txt log have been created as you restarted the SC+app but the log clearly indicates a much longer flight.

Your AC is still here in the second log approx in the same location as in the first ... 85,5m (1m higher) & 441,59m from home (28,46m further away from home). The difference in height & distance from home is most probably due to that you moved the sticks slightly when the app had crashed (...your sticks was still working). The connection signal is also at 100%.

This also explain why no failsafe RTH was initiated from the beginning ... it was no controller disconnect. The lost connection came first when you restarted the SC ... that's why the second log starts up with the AC in the status RTH (the pink background color).

1617489533670.png

As it's not uncommon that the GO4 app in the SC crashes I think this is what happened to you here ... you were still in control though, the sticks was most probably still working ... & equal the manual RTH button, if you had pushed it.

Looking at the first log ... where I have placed the marker just were the log ends (as the app crashes & the log recording stops). The signal was 100% & your AC was at a height of 84,5m & 413,13m from home ...

View attachment 126713

The second log shows below ...

The time line behaves like the flight is much longer ... the first logs total time of 221sec ... then your relocation time + restart of the SC ... & values start to show up again at 498sec where the marker are placed in the chart ... a new txt log have been created as you restarted the SC+app but the log clearly indicates a much longer flight.

Your AC is still here in the second log approx in the same location as in the first ... 85,5m (1m higher) & 441,59m from home (28,46m further away from home). The difference in height & distance from home is most probably due to that you moved the sticks slightly when the app had crashed (...your sticks was still working). The connection signal is also at 100%.

This also explain why no failsafe RTH was initiated from the beginning ... it was no controller disconnect. The lost connection came first when you restarted the SC ... that's why the second log starts up with the AC in the status RTH (the pink background color).

View attachment 126714
Thanks for the detailed reply. I was leaning towards a smart controller crash. Glad everything was recoverable but it was nerve racking for my 3rd day of drone flying. Thanks for taking the time deciphering the logs and validating nothing is wrong with the drone.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I was leaning towards a smart controller crash. Glad everything was recoverable but it was nerve racking for my 3rd day of drone flying. Thanks for taking the time deciphering the logs and validating nothing is wrong with the drone.
Unfortunately app crashes in the SC isn't unusual, posts regarding such "nerve wrecking" experiences are coming up here at the forum from time to time. Just remember that it's usually the app that crashes ... not the whole SC, meaning that you're still in control of the drone but with out a live view. So it's usually best to hit the RTH button in cases like this, bring it back & land it ... then restart either only the app or the whole SC.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada