DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Weird Video Incompatibility

Chaosrider

Reactions
I use three video players, for different purposes. Windows 10 PC, fully up to date:

Photos
Movies & TV
VLC

The 4K vids that I get from my Mini-2s will play on all of them just fine.

However, the 4K vids from the DJI FPV aircraft will *ONLY* play using VLC. Both "Photos" and "Videos and TV" want me to get the "HEVC video extensions". Photos wants me to pay a buck for it.

Anybody have any idea what's up with that?

Thx

Had to pay that same $1 cash for the Codec , , although you could find it, you risk a ton of nonsense coming with it. Using Windows 11

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your FPV in the Rain.

Microsoft did not include the codec in Windows 10, therefore it must be downloaded and some require payment.
OK, that's weird, but it makes sense.

So HEVC is a real thing, and not some private Trojan?

I don't mind spending the buck; I'd just never seen this happen before, and I didn't want to buy an infection.

I'm new to anything beyond "click it and watch it" when it comes to video. I just assumed that MP4 was MP4.

Thx!

Until today, I was using the H.264 video codec setting for recording, simply because I assumed that my ~12-year-old machine wouldn't be able to handle the newer codec.

So, I tried playing back the video recorded with the new(er) H.265 codec, & sure enough, I got an error popup that indicated I needed to go to the MS store, pay a buck, & download the required codec.

Me being the contrary rebel type, not to mention, tighter than a clam's @$$ in the wintertime, I was sure that there was a workaround rather than paying Bill Gates, already quite a bit richer than I am, for something that already should have been included in my Win10x64 updates.

I found a free source for the new(er) H.265 codec: Free H.265 codec

I read that there was the potential for playback errors in old(er) hardware due to the newer codec relying much more heavily on the hardware for decoding.

So far, my 1st-gen Intel Core i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz & more recent but still obsolete NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti video card seems to now play the H.265 video with no hiccups at all.

Mind you, I was recording in the 1080 @ 25fps mode. Later, I'll try the higher resolution & faster fps modes.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada