DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Well, it finally happened! CRASH!

Had it shipped out to DJI within 3 hours, only damage was 2 props and the separated camera/gimbal, falling into the high grass saved it from any other damage (i think), external anyway. But a lesson to all, if it hadn't been for the Tracker I would never of found it in foot tall grass & weeds.
i hope you get it back quick and without issue Thumbswayup

Well, after almost 4 years and 3 quads I finally managed to crash one, bummer! Was in sport mode flashing across the sky (well, almost) and started into a tight turn over some trees, same spot and altitude as always, about 20 feet above the tree tops. Didn't realize I was turning into a stiff wind and the Mavic pitched into the wind and dropped 15' or so in the blink of an eye (mine at least) and clipped a tree limb, and down she went in a death spiral into the tall grass about 2000' away. Couple of good things here, first off the Marco Polo Tracker works AWESOMELY!!, found the bird in 15 minutes, most of which was taken up in driving to the general location, the MP walked me right up to the Mavic, other good thing is the grass was nice and tall so cushioned the controlled landing (crash). So now I get to test DJI care refresh in all its glory, Not much damage but the camera/gimbal did separate from the body, other than that it looks fine and only shows the gimbal motor overload warning when powered up. She has been packed up and shipped to DJI repair in Carson, CA, at least its close to me. Will decide to use the care refresh or not once I get the bill. Definitely pilot error, I should have remembered the altitude drop in sport mode.

at least you can admit pilot error. so over stories about this and that made me crash
But only one crash in 4 years? thats weird man. crashing is intergral to the r/c slash drone experience.
Sorry you lost your drone matey

at least you can admit pilot error. so over stories about this and that made me crash
But only one crash in 4 years? thats weird man. crashing is intergral to the r/c slash drone experience.
Sorry you lost your drone matey
I used to fly RC copters and crashed them a lot at first, little suckers are tough to fly. I did flip a P2 over in the grass once, was doing a battery hover test and was forcing it to stay in the air, at 4% it just shut off and flipped over and fell 3' in the grass, no damage at all so doesn't count :)

Sorry to hear about your crash! Thanks for the warning about sport mode and losing altitude, I didn't know that, but good to keep in mind!

I had my first crash today. Slowly flying sideways and clipped tree about 8 feet up, some twig size branches. Fell to the ground. Had to replace all props. Flys fine but gimbal doesn't work. Looked at it real close and can't find any broken pieces. Camera still works as far as showing an image but no movement. Readout on display on phone says "gimbal obstructed"... also "Aircraft motor overloaded, check whether gimbal clamp is removed". Any input?

I had my first crash today. Slowly flying sideways and clipped tree about 8 feet up, some twig size branches. Fell to the ground. Had to replace all props. Flys fine but gimbal doesn't work. Looked at it real close and can't find any broken pieces. Camera still works as far as showing an image but no movement. Readout on display on phone says "gimbal obstructed"... also "Aircraft motor overloaded, check whether gimbal clamp is removed". Any input?
Hard to say without looking at it, could be a bent or jammed gimbal arm or motor shaft, do the gimbal motors rotate freely by hand? also look closely at the ribbon cables, sounds like one might be pulled out. The gimbal is very small and quiet delicate, really needs to be more robust but they were keeping the size and weight down. Good luck getting it fixed.

Reactions: Ronin229
I had the Mavic shipped out the same day as the crash, it is now sitting at the UPS distribution center in Carson, CA and will be handed over to DJI repair tomorrow, I will document the repair process (and speed).

Any update on the Refresh turn around? Any tips for dealing with DJI for faster turn around?
Shipping mine today. Paying for faster shipping because I'm hoping to get it back in 2 weeks for a trip.
Also did you just ship the bird or the whole package back?
Thanks all!

Any update on the Refresh turn around? Any tips for dealing with DJI for faster turn around?
Shipping mine today. Paying for faster shipping because I'm hoping to get it back in 2 weeks for a trip.
Thanks all!

Its hard to say with all honesty, most forums like this will likely document the bad experiences and the experiences where refresh has taken longer to than it really should. Based on that it seems DJI isn't doing to well with the turn around and some are waiting up to a month to before getting their birds back.

I currently have a repair case ongoing to DJI Netherlands and am documenting it on this forum. So far I managed to get the acknowledgement that it has been received and so onto the damage assessment phase, so how long that will take will remain to be seen (DJI say within 1 to 2 days). At this point I wouldn't hold out too much hope for a two week turn around.

Thanks all!
So got the bird back (replacement) on day 15, so 2 weeks to do a replacement, but I am sure it spent a week waiting in line to be inspected. New bird seems to be fine, and as a bonus the slight mushiness I had in stills is gone. I would have posted sooner but had family and Grandkids visiting and it has been crazy,

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15