DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Well it finally happened to me.

GregS

Reactions
I was flying around a local popular lake to get some video/photos of the beautiful tree colors. A car pulled up and a woman came up to me and told me I can't fly here and take pictures of children. I looked around and said; "I'm taking photos of the trees. Are they up in the trees, because you and I are the only people around?" She said, "Well there could be some around somewhere". I thought she was joking since her remarks were so absurd, but she was serious. At the time I was 150' up over trees. I just brought it down, packed up while she was blabbering, and went to another spot.
Where do they get the idea that someone with a drone is taking photos of children; especially when no children or anyone else is around? To me, it seems like she has a problem thinking like that.

Where do they get the idea that someone with a drone is taking photos of children; especially when no children or anyone else is around? To me, it seems like she has a problem thinking like that.
You may or may not have noticed that "protecting the children" from all manner of imaginary bogeymen is just the latest front in the culture war and a significant chunk of the population believe that there's an endless stream of child predators hiding in every bush and bathroom.

Yup, they're out there. Happened to me with a camera. Some woman came running up accusing me of the same. Wanted ID, press credentials, history, etc. Then some young man joined her and was threatening to bring his band of thuggies. I just shook my head in disgust and moved on. And yes, as per above it's a fad for the weekend social justice crusaders. The modern day Don Quixote. The ultra form of virtue signaling. At one point they "threatened to call the police". Next time if there is one, I will call the police and get them educomated.

You may or may not have noticed that "protecting the children" from all manner of imaginary bogeymen is just the latest front in the culture war and a significant chunk of the population believe that there's an endless stream of child predators hiding in every bush and bathroom.
Agree, but not up in tall trees. 😊

This actually happens to me a lot! [Removed Link-hijacking thread]
If the person that is talking to me is pretty calm and just wants to clear up the issue, I talk to them with respect and try to explain to them what I'm doing, that I'm not doing anything bad to them with the drone.
But if the person is accusing me of something I didn't do, or is talking to me in an angry manner, being toxic in general, I just leave. There is no need for any discussion there!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, they're out there. Happened to me with a camera. Some woman came running up accusing me of the same. Wanted ID, press credentials, history, etc. Then some young man joined her and was threatening to bring his band of thuggies. I just shook my head in disgust and moved on. And yes, as per above it's a fad for the weekend social justice crusaders. The modern day Don Quixote. The ultra form of virtue signaling. At one point they "threatened to call the police". Next time if there is one, I will call the police and get them educomated.
Feel you. I do street photography and I've had my share of Karen attacks. Even had one call the cops who basically laughed at her (not overtly, but you could see the eye roll and smirk).

I've come close to calling the cops on THEM and filing a harassment complaint. If they even touch me though, no matter how briefly, I WOULD call the cops and file an assault and battery complaint. I don't play games. I do try to educate them, but it's almost always a waste of time.
With RID, I will be arming myself. Not with a gun...live in NYS...not exactly gun friendly except for the criminal. But Tazer or pepper spray for sure.

I was flying around a local popular lake to get some video/photos of the beautiful tree colors. A car pulled up and a woman came up to me and told me I can't fly here and take pictures of children. I looked around and said; "I'm taking photos of the trees. Are they up in the trees, because you and I are the only people around?" She said, "Well there could be some around somewhere". I thought she was joking since her remarks were so absurd, but she was serious. At the time I was 150' up over trees. I just brought it down, packed up while she was blabbering, and went to another spot.
My exact response to this, while NOT breaking LOS to my aircraft : "Ma'am, I am an aerial photographer operating legally. If you're interested, I'd be happy to explain my work once I land safely, otherwise you're interfering with a pilot flying an aircraft and that's a federal crime. I will land and immediately call 911." Nothing else, no other opportunity to debate or deal. No responsibility to show her anything, she's not a cop.

If she remains respectful I'll also be nice. Any threats or further interference and I make good on my promise. Any attempt to touch me and I follow Texas' laws on the use of force.

Feel you. I do street photography and I've had my share of Karen attacks. Even had one call the cops who basically laughed at her (not overtly, but you could see the eye roll and smirk).

I've come close to calling the cops on THEM and filing a harassment complaint. If they even touch me though, no matter how briefly, I WOULD call the cops and file an assault and battery complaint. I don't play games. I do try to educate them, but it's almost always a waste of time.
With RID, I will be arming myself. Not with a gun...live in NYS...not exactly gun friendly except for the criminal. But Tazer or pepper spray for sure.
I tried to be kind and assure her that no pictures were taken of her children but it was a very short time and it became apparent her agenda was much deeper. Definitely a Karen as you stated, lol. That's the only really negative reaction I've gotten. Most reactions range from no reaction to quite friendly, inquisitive and on occasion a little show. With the drone people will often stop and point it out to their children like watching a kite fly. I've even shared my screen with women who were earnestly interested in what the video looked like from the drone as it was flying. It only takes one Karen with a vicar to create a real scene.

Look the lady in the eye and say "Ma'am, i am flying a search and rescue mission for a missing child right now and you are interfering!" then fly on.... Happy Droning!!

It's never a good idea to lie about what you're doing.

In this case, imagine the reaction from law enforcement people if the lady called and mentioned the ongoing S&R effort. I suspect they're respond promptly and leave their senses of humor behind. Or if someone overheard and called 911 to report the missing child and a real response ensued.

During my 56 flights with my Mini 2, I feel grateful I haven't had any negative encounters, but that might be because I fly exclusively in National Forests where it is legal to fly drones as long as you follow FAA rules & don't harrass wildlife. This is a selfie I took last week next to the Salt River on the Coon Bluff Recreation Area in Tonto National Forest in AZ, a place I drone from several times a month. As you can see, there are several families camping there. Children under 10 had the run of the area. I have never been harassed by anyone while drone piloting there & the random boy approaching me just wanted to stand behind me to watch my screen. I should note also that my drone wasn't the only one in the air when this pic was taken. I saw an FPV drone doing aerobatics in the same area.

Attachments

• DJI_0007 (4)-1.jpg
    DJI_0007 (4)-1.jpg
    674.5 KB · Views: 146

Well, I don't feel alone

I was flying my drone around the apartments complex in Ocala, Florida. The lady administrator came with the security guard and accuse me of "taking photographs of kids". I was flying at the authorized height of 300 feet (Class D Airspace) and explained to her that is not possible to do identify a person or a car at that height. I offer to show the videos (at least old ones because I wasn't filming) and she refused. I told her that she needed to educate herself in the Law and regulations of Drones. I was polite, but the word "educate yourself" got her furious! I explain that as administrator, she can forbid the take off and landing in the apartments property, but not even the Police can prohibit the flying of the drone over the complex. Well, she call the police and 2 patrol cars with 4 officers knock my door. When the officer tried to go with the "children being photograph", I stop him and request to bring me the person who said that and the evidence. Of course, there is no evidence because I wasn't taking video or photos. I learn that the security guard and the administrator "create" witnesses, feeding the paranoia of a few residents and telling them that the drone was photographing their kids. In Florida beside the FAA regulations, the only statutes that regulate the use of drones is 934 and 330. The first one is about search and surveillance (as a failsafe for citizens when the police abuse the use of drones) and the other is about flying near critical infrastructure. The officers had no clue and doesn't know what to do. There is no crime. Well, at the end, nothing happen, the officers just start leaving quietly, no cuffs for me and the the administrator did a cool walk of shame. Bottom line, we need to learn (and comply) with the laws, because at any moment we will require to educate the people and even the police.

TOTALLY agree !

• Wow
Reactions: LoudThunder
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom