DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Well it finally happened to me.

Yup, they're out there. Happened to me with a camera. Some woman came running up accusing me of the same. Wanted ID, press credentials, history, etc. Then some young man joined her and was threatening to bring his band of thuggies. I just shook my head in disgust and moved on. And yes, as per above it's a fad for the weekend social justice crusaders. The modern day Don Quixote. The ultra form of virtue signaling. At one point they "threatened to call the police". Next time if there is one, I will call the police and get them educomated.
That’s where having my retired police star and weapon permit is handy.

I was flying around a local popular lake to get some video/photos of the beautiful tree colors. A car pulled up and a woman came up to me and told me I can't fly here and take pictures of children. I looked around and said; "I'm taking photos of the trees. Are they up in the trees, because you and I are the only people around?" She said, "Well there could be some around somewhere". I thought she was joking since her remarks were so absurd, but she was serious. At the time I was 150' up over trees. I just brought it down, packed up while she was blabbering, and went to another spot.
Where do they get the idea that someone with a drone is taking photos of children; especially when no children or anyone else is around? To me, it seems like she has a problem thinking like that.
You encountered one of the all to common, “logically challenged” who roam about freely, without supervision, and they vote.

Reactions: LoudThunder
You encountered one of the all to common, “logically challenged” who roam about freely, without supervision, and they vote.
Be careful. The word popo are trolling. Any mention of politics is bad, bad, bad!

Wanted ID, press credentials, history, etc. Then some young man joined her and was threatening to bring his band of thuggies.
Yup, that's the world today. I'm an old man with a new camera trying to enjoy it while I'm still above ground. That's it. No more, no less. And there I am with these freaks in my face. Simply bizarre in my world.

I was photographing a house, from the ground, on a tripod and a Karen walked through my view on the othe side of the street. Before I even took a shot (waiting for her to leave my composition) she confronted me about taking her photo. I calmly replied I hadn’t and why I was there (real estate). Didn’t matter, her quota of being an (Mod Removed Language)had to be fulfilled. She really went nuts when I corrected her on “it’s illegal to take my photo without my permission!” No ma’am it’s not illegal, but if I publish them in a non editorial situation then you’d have a case.

But drones are another level of paranoia. You should see some of the threads in the Neighborhood app, simply ridiculous. I very politely explain some basics and very plausible reasons for a drone over the neighborhood, but many people won’t hear it, understand it, nor learn. They just want cry and whine about things they simply don’t understand.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was flying around a local popular lake to get some video/photos of the beautiful tree colors. A car pulled up and a woman came up to me and told me I can't fly here and take pictures of children. I looked around and said; "I'm taking photos of the trees. Are they up in the trees, because you and I are the only people around?" She said, "Well there could be some around somewhere". I thought she was joking since her remarks were so absurd, but she was serious. At the time I was 150' up over trees. I just brought it down, packed up while she was blabbering, and went to another spot.
Where do they get the idea that someone with a drone is taking photos of children; especially when no children or anyone else is around? To me, it seems like she has a problem thinking like that.
It happens all around the world. Same happened to me during my vacations in Croatia. I was 400' over empty sea 300'up and women start screaming at my .you, (Mod Removed Language)you, and guy tried to take my controller. I told them, I am calling police, since I got permit from they government to fly. Once I said "police", they left.
The best way is to get permit, try to reason with them, and if still does solve the attack, call police.
Good flights

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest pulling out your part 107 license if you got one and tell them you're a UAS pilot.. All the acronyms and license may throw them off.. Never tried it but no harm in finding out..

Yup, they're out there. Happened to me with a camera. Some woman came running up accusing me of the same. Wanted ID, press credentials, history, etc. Then some young man joined her and was threatening to bring his band of thuggies. I just shook my head in disgust and moved on. And yes, as per above it's a fad for the weekend social justice crusaders. The modern day Don Quixote. The ultra form of virtue signaling. At one point they "threatened to call the police". Next time if there is one, I will call the police and get them educomated.
You should have called the police immediately upon having been threatened.

I would have just said I was going to call the cops. If they want to follow thru on that, just have the drone packed up and SD card copied and secured before they arrive.

Based in the U.K. This drives me nuts as well. It is also something that seems to be getting worse. I honestly think it's got nothing whatever to do with genuine concerns about child protection and privacy issues - I think it has more to do with sticky-beak WOKES enjoying the fact that this is something they can get worked up and self-righteous about - These bombastic "I-know-the-Law-I-know-my-rights" merchants want to be able to dictate that their "rights" are more important than the "rights" of anyone else.

The ones I've encountered haven't got a clue about the regulations governing the use of drones and use the "spying on kiddies" argument to force the issue: which is to get you to pack up and disappear with your tail between your legs. As soon as the words 'reporting': 'police' and 'illegal' get trotted out, I leave the drone in a static hover (pointing straight at myself), get my phone out and key in the number 999. Then politely tell the person blustering that out of the two of us: they are the ones committing the criminal act: which is attempting to interfere with a legal flight of a duly registered aircraft and that I have time and date-stamped digital video evidence of it (pointing up at the drone). This is the point at which quite a few of them really get bent out of shape - insisting that I have no right to film them... while all the time: they're cheerfully using their mobile phone to film me: my drone and everything around as "evidence", completely ignorant of the gold-plated, garnet-studded irony.

To be honest, I've found that the worst thing you can do is try to talk sense to anyone who tries to lay their version of the 'Law' down. It won't matter what you say: they will always be right and you will always be wrong - they made their mind up about that as soon as they decided to step in your direction. Stand your ground. Take the ball out of their court. Call the police yourself and if they are acting in a verbally aggressive or threatening manner, report the incident as an attempt to endanger the safe flight of a legally registered drone.

As with the other user, I dread the rollout of mandatory RID (we in the U.K are bound to be next in line to suffer this) I hope that someone with a brain makes sure that the only people who have access to the drone pilots personal details contained in the RID database are duly accredited and authorized bodies.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard