DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Well, it finally happened..

Never fly with a partially discharged battery, even for a quick "shakedown" flight. Sorry about your Mavic, but I wouldn't let this stop you from getting another one. It's the best quad for the money.. and better than most that cost a lot more. 100% pilot error, sorry. On the plus side, this was a "good" crash. No one was injured and no property damage other than the Mavic.

It will be a learning experience for me to not panic and just find a suitable landing area if this happens again and to not trust the voltage reading on a self discharged battery.
A few more tips:
  • Pay attention to the battery voltage displayed at the top of DJI GO
  • If you're running a low battery, don't do anything that stresses the battery (like this takeoff at full throttle & elevator)

Can anyone recommend a decent repair center?
You can find some repair shops here.

after 266 flights i had a major crash. I am not blaming DJI or anyone else. I am taking full responsibility for the crash. What I would like to know is why I got a ******** error that led up to this. Me and the old lady went up to the local mountains for a couple days to get away. I brought my Mavic to get some great shots of the scenery. I had my 3 batteries with me. The one that came with the Mavic hasn't been used for a bit because I use the newer ones more to get them somewhat even so it self discharged itself. It showed 2 solid lights and one blinking. I figured I would use this one to set up the camera and then swap out a fresh fully charged on for the actual flight. I took off, waited for the home point recorded message and headed out over the trees to get the camera adjusted. I stopped forward flight and climbed to clear some power lines then moved forward while still climbing. I was looking at my notes on camera settings when I heard the remote say "landing". I looked at the app and it said "Critical low power. Landing" I turned the Mavic around so it was facing me and then let go of both sticks and began to panic. I never had a forced landing before. I looked ant the batt info and it showed 53% and 4.6 volts. I saw a red X on the app so i tried pushing it several times hoping to cancel the auto landing but nothing. After I realized it was landing no matter what I pushed forward on the throttle hoping to get it near to me without looking at what direction it was heading. In my panic I didn't even think of looking at the video. In my haste to cancel the auto landing I must have bumped the stick and turned the Mavic away from me. Instead of heading back it went away from me. At a height of 55 feet and a speed of 22 mph it clipped the corner of the church across the street and fell to the ground. I found it upside down in the grass next to the church. 2 broke props, a piece of the rear corner broke off and the camera ripped off but still transmitting video.I powered it back up and the only error im getting is the gimble. All the motors still spin freely and it still captures GPS. Hopefully it is repairable because If I have to get a new one im not even going to bother. I don't know if I trust it anymore and with the problems some ppl are having with the newer firmwares I'm not interested in an updated model. The worst part of all this is that after reviewing the flight record if I just let it land and not move it at all it would have landed in a flat dirt area next to the church and probably been fine. :( I still want to know what caused this low power error?
img_1602-jpg.25316
img_1600-jpg.25317
img_1601-jpg.25318

Sad to hear the mavic has gone TARFU, always feels worse than expected. Might be pretty well repairable but if sent to DJI they WILL put new FW on it! If you want to give it a shot yourself you might end up troubleshooting and replacing a bunch of stuff eventually, been through that as well, I do not intend to discourage you. Saying that a crash repair is normally more manageable than shorting it inside making the mavic emit smoke-signals.

Im running FW .0200/.0400/.0700 (I swap sometimes) and mavic never allows me to take off with a self-discharged battery if I happen to plug it in (dunno why but I actually tried to a couple of times). Guess it warns for a reason.
I do not think you should be worried about a new Mav with the newer FW, I mean: I hate newer FW as well because of whatever gremlins DJI puts in those but the "Darkside" allows us to use any FW version we like...just saying.

D9FDC614-4C3A-4DF0-BCAB-1B46C86F06A1.jpeg One important thing I found with these batteries was constantly checking their health. Never used to do this till I had some erratic actions during a couple flights. I noticed I only saw this with one particular battery. Tried all kinds of things I learned from this forum and others. But what gave me the heads up and some insight was using the Airdata app and using their battery monitoring tools. I found the battery which was causing problems was having numerous major deviations on EVERY flight. I took it out of circulation and have not had an issue since. I now use the AirData tools regularily and have not had any further issues. It is now part of my regular maintenance plans. I dont know if there are other tools like this out there and I have no vested interest in this application/ company other than a user. But if you are not monitoring the health/ usage of these batteries you are asking for trouble. It basically is the beating heart of your system and should receive constant scrutiny.

Last edited:
The correct way to deal with a forced landing is: 1) push the left stick forward to maintain altitude (or even to increase altitude if needed); use the right stick to pull the aircraft to where you want to land it. I had managed successfully to bring Mavic to the home point several times after getting a forced landing 600-900 meters away.

Reactions: sar104
Battery lifespan depends a lot from proper handling. E.g. I still have the three original batteries delivered in early december with my Fly More package, each of them has about 100 charging cycles and all three are still healthy and good for about 20 minutes flight time when landing at 30% capacity.

So, how do I handle them?
I take care to land at about 30% +/- 5% capacity and by this way am avoiding deep discharge and have reserves in case of unexpected problems.
In case of storing for few days only I store them uncharged at about that 30% from last flight
In case of storing for weeks I charge them until they have 2 solid LEDs and one blinking LED, somewhat at 60%
From time to time I check the battery info within GO4 for the cell voltages and do same with my uploaded data at Airdata.com for early detection of weak cells.
I fully charge them just at the day of next usage or max. one day before.
In winter time I keep them warm in my pocket before flying.

I can tell you that I NEVER fly with a discharged battery. EVERYTHING is fully charged on startup.

I was teaching a lesson the other day, showed up at a park, and the student arrives. He had brought his phantom and 3 batteries, all of which had self discharged. We went from a day where he might fly, to teaching him everything on the app.

There is no reason ever to risk flying on a half charged battery. This is not a 'half full tank of gas' situation. This is a critical error don't fly situation.

I can tell you that I NEVER fly with a discharged battery. EVERYTHING is fully charged on startup.

I was teaching a lesson the other day, showed up at a park, and the student arrives. He had brought his phantom and 3 batteries, all of which had self discharged. We went from a day where he might fly, to teaching him everything on the app.

There is no reason ever to risk flying on a half charged battery. This is not a 'half full tank of gas' situation. This is a critical error don't fly situation.
It baffles me that someone would take the time to arrange a flight lesson yet not prepare for that lesson. It's not hard to make sure everything is charged and in good order the night before. At least the silver lining is they learnt a good lesson.

It baffles me that someone would take the time to arrange a flight lesson yet not prepare for that lesson. It's not hard to make sure everything is charged and in good order the night before. At least the silver lining is they learnt a good lesson.
It was apparently just outside the default 'self discharge' time, and they got to learn that these batteries even do that, ha. People get busy though, i understand. Part of learning with drones is slowing down and being thorough.

Reactions: GlenT
So I wont be able to upload the DAT file. Im still running XP on my desktop and apparently DJI assistant isn't compatible with it. I have another desktop with Win 7 on it but just haven't set it up yet. But its ok. I think I have a good idea of what happened. It will be a learning experience for me to not panic and just find a suitable landing area if this happens again and to not trust the voltage reading on a self discharged battery. Now I just need to brush this crash off and get my bird repaired and back in the air. Can anyone recommend a decent repair center?
Thunddrone he is fast, good, and will give you a fair quote before he does the work, I found him here on these forums. My camera came off just like yours after I flew it through a tree, but I could never find my camera. Good luck.

Reactions: Pietros
Battery lifespan depends a lot from proper handling. E.g. I still have the three original batteries delivered in early december with my Fly More package, each of them has about 100 charging cycles and all three are still healthy and good for about 20 minutes flight time when landing at 30% capacity.
How do you manage 20mins? I land just before 30% capacity, and only get a little less than 13mins each. I’ve only flown 7 times, with 3 batteries since I got my Mavic last week.

Thunddrone he is fast, good, and will give you a fair quote before he does the work, I found him here on these forums. My camera came off just like yours after I flew it through a tree, but I could never find my camera. Good luck.
Yes I think as soon as I get the spendable funds I will be sending it to him for repair.

How do you manage 20mins? I land just before 30% capacity, and only get a little less than 13mins each. I’ve only flown 7 times, with 3 batteries since I got my Mavic last week.
Flight time depends a lot on flight style, e.g. it will decrease if you are flying mostly in sports mode or with hard manoevering. I always try to fly smoothly with slow motion of sticks and the Mavic is in motion most time instead of just hovering.
I mostly fly just for fun, rarely using video recording, just take some photos at some point, this also saves battery.
But 13 minutes sounds really short to me.

You can fly a while more with 30% battery. Just do your closer to home flying when the battery is getting low. I have my low battery warning set at 15% and pay closer attention to wind direction and battery life indicator at the top of the Go 4 display. IMHO the wind direction is the most important thing to pay attention to. Since the direction and speed is often different aloft I judge it by the Mavic speed shown on the display. If it is going faster than normal away from you then you have a tailwind so you will be fighting a headwind on the return trip.

Last edited:
I'll try to fly only in P-Mode for whole session and see if flight time improves.
The 30% is more for keeping the battery healthy. A friend who knows a lot about batteries advises not to let the battery drop below 20%. Unless doing a deep cycle. The 30% gives times to land, transfer images and videos, or if I don't plan to fly again for a few days.

Just took a look at your Flight Record, looks like you took off with 55% battery, but the cell voltage minimum at best as a discharged cell should not go below 3.70V and above 4.20V when fully charged, you took off with a fully discharged cell voltage of 3.69V, things con only go south from there, 10.7 seconds into flight the cell voltage dropped to a critical level @ 3.299V per cell triggering auto landing. Also noticed you took off with only 10 satellites fixed, I always wait until I have 15 or better, had you waited for better Sat lock while hovering at TO point this incident may have been avoided as the AC probably would have went into Auto Land before you got a 15 satellite lock.

I have read in other forums / threads the battery indication in the Go4 app is unreliable, many people have crashed or lost their drone thinking they had enough power to get back when "Low Battery Warning" was set to 30% and "Critical Battery Warning" set to 10% only to have the AC go into Auto Land at 15-20%.
Best Practice is to have it on the ground in front of you @ 30%.

I will gladly give up a few minutes of flight time rather than risk losing it because Battery Level was not accurate.

You cannot cancel an Auto Land due to critically low battery. You do have some control with stick input, but she's coming down.
This has been my experience (stick control but she's coming down). I recommend forcing this to happen in a wide open space in early training/practice.... more then once till it is second nature.

Also you opened discussion by taking responsibility - Great lesson for newbies, always take off with a full charge. If you need to take off a lot you likely need additional batteries... I am sorry your awesome MP and you had to learn this way but you know you love the thing and want another - try sending pix to DroneNerds and see what they say - they saved my butt once in my early days:) Hang in there I think they can help for reasonable price

This has been my experience (stick control but she's coming down). I recommend forcing this to happen in a wide open space in early training/practice.... more then once till it is second nature.

Also you opened discussion by taking responsibility - Great lesson for newbies, always take off with a full charge. If you need to take off a lot you likely need additional batteries... I am sorry your awesome MP and you had to learn this way but you know you love the thing and want another - try sending pix to DroneNerds and see what they say - they saved my butt once in my early days:) Hang in there I think they can help for reasonable price
Yeah I felt like my pet died when this happened. But it will be repaired and it will fly again with a somewhat "smarter" pilot at the controls this time ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ad60