DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Well that was fun wasting a few hours.. got permission to fly in Class E.. agreed with all prompts.. verified identity/number... still couldnt takeoff

TheBlueFlyer

Reactions
basically the title.

there has to be a setting somewhere that i am overlooking or somewhere to go to takeoff if your ducks are all in a perfect single file row.

does anyone know....

Have to get an unlock from DJI
got it submitted.

follow up to that though....

does anyone know if you can unlock an area permanently....? ive had many requests approved by the FAA, they even called me a few days ago just to double check some info.... verify.. stuff like that

do i have to go online and submit a request every single time i fly in class E or can DJI just grant that ability to do it continuously...?

You may be confusing the FAA and the DJI unlock process. You might be able to get a longer term unlock from DJI if you request a custom unlock rather than and zone unlock. But getting legal clearance to fly in the airspace (if required) has to be done through an LAANC provider (e.g. Aloft) or through FAA Dronezone. Through the Dronezone you might be able to get longer term clearance also, I haven't tried that.

Reactions: db4476
LAANC can be made up to 90 days in advance, but only for a 12hr duration. DJI's method blows IMO as it is just another layer added onto what is already required. I'll add that DJI's database is sometimes wrong, as in more than a mile off as I found out the hard way.

Cheers!

I was listening to a Wings call (sorry, I don't remember who was running it), and asked a question about whether getting repeated LAANC clearance to fly in the class D over my house was going to attract negative attention from ATC. The answer I got was "no", but also a suggestion that I might be able to get a standing clearance for up to a year by putting my request through FAA DroneZone. I don't mind getting LAANC clearance when I need it, so I haven't tried for the long term clearance yet. But it might be worth a shot for you. Doesn't fix the DJI problem, but like I said, I think with a custom unlock you might be able to get a longer term unlock as well.

I get LAANC for flights very frequently - inside Boise class C. I have zero worries about frequency. As a matter f fact I've like to think I am being a nuisance for asking so often. But since it's automated, I doubt the CPUs involved care. The flip side is I am not in an approach so no DJI zone involved.

got it submitted.

does anyone know if you can unlock an area permanently....? ive had many requests approved by the FAA, they even called me a few days ago just to double check some info.... verify.. stuff like that

do i have to go online and submit a request every single time i fly in class E or can DJI just grant that ability to do it continuously...?
You can ask DJI for a longer term unlock. It’s the custom unlock process. Not sure if they will grant it but if you show you are part 107 and can show you frequently fly in that area I think you may have a pretty good shot

I was listening to a Wings call (sorry, I don't remember who was running it), and asked a question about whether getting repeated LAANC clearance to fly in the class D over my house was going to attract negative attention from ATC. The answer I got was "no", but also a suggestion that I might be able to get a standing clearance for up to a year by putting my request through FAA DroneZone. I don't mind getting LAANC clearance when I need it, so I haven't tried for the long term clearance yet. But it might be worth a shot for you. Doesn't fix the DJI problem, but like I said, I think with a custom unlock you might be able to get a longer term unlock as well.
I don’t think DroneZone allows you to put in long term requests for LAANC enabled airspace any more. I seem to remember trying that recently and it just won’t let you.

I don’t think DroneZone allows you to put in long term requests for LAANC enabled airspace any more. I seem to remember trying that recently and it just won’t let you.
Anything that includes rec mode night flying is automatically denied by LAANC.

If your problem is with DJI, as it sounds, try updating your precise flysafe database. I spent weeks trying to fix a similar problem. Along the way, they unlocked my local airport, Detroit City, for six months. Of course I still had the problem at other airports. Eventually a DJI rep told me to update the flysafe database through DJI Assistant. That seems to have solved it.
This was for my M2P; I assume its similar for other models.

Reactions: PixelMagic
I get all my LAANC or FAA manual approvals anytime I need one and always fly legally. But I hate having to deal with DJI unlocks. So I am a very happy client of drone-hacks.com

No more wasted time with DJI.

The other solution is buying a non-DJI drone

Reactions: Faster
got it submitted.

Unlocking is only good for a couple of days

Reactions: JudyTVFilm
Are you flying near the airport or at the airport. We have a no control airport near here (andrews, nc) and emailed the manager a request to fly, so far no reply. It is not listed on the LAANC, how do you suggest do a follow up. RHP is the airport code.

Are you flying near the airport or at the airport. We have a no control airport near here (andrews, nc) and emailed the manager a request to fly, so far no reply. It is not listed on the LAANC, how do you suggest do a follow up. RHP is the airport code.
For flights near airports in uncontrolled airspace that remain under 400’ above the ground, prior authorization is not required. Just be cognizant of air traffic, flight patterns, etc. but you can fly there no problem.

So why is there a blank statement that you cannot fly within 5 miles of an airport? And before they arrest me is there some legal place on the internet I can get a print out of some law. I have been looking at this page and there is nothing west of Asheville NC that needs permission. ArcGIS Web Application

Last edited:
So why is there a blank statement that you cannot fly within 5 miles of an airport? And before they arrest me is there some legal place on the internet I can get a print out of some law.

faa.gov/uas has all the info you need.

The five mile rule is not something that exists anymore.

I get all my LAANC or FAA manual approvals anytime I need one and always fly legally. But I hate having to deal with DJI unlocks. So I am a very happy client of drone-hacks.com

No more wasted time with DJI.

The other solution is buying a non-DJI drone
Same here. I always follow FAA rules and get my LAANCs before flying but will never ask DJI (comunist country based company) for authorization to fly in my free country. IMHO Drone-hacks is the best solution for a DJI drone owner. If the drone I want is not supported by drone-hacks.com then I don't even think about buying it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54