DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

We're going down the path of becoming illegal

It really is about time some organization does some extensive (and expensive) crash testing of drones vs manned aircraft to get a grasp of the actual dangers.

Is a phantom more deadly deadly than a flock of geese?

I’m not suggesting that drones belong anywhere near manned aircraft, especially helicopters, but does it make sense to shut down an entire airport for hours because of a drone sighting?

Or to stop aerial firefighting operations for 1.5 hours even after they saw the guy drive away?

Congress asked similiar questions recently...

It really is about time some organization does some extensive (and expensive) crash testing of drones vs manned aircraft to get a grasp of the actual dangers.

I’m not suggesting that drones belong anywhere near manned aircraft, especially helicopters, but does it make sense to shut down an entire airport for hours because of a drone sighting?

Or to stop aerial firefighting operations for 1.5 hours even after they saw the guy drive away?

Congress asked similiar questions recently...

Maybe you should just do a search on the damage caused by FOD and bird strikes, because this subject already has tons of research in it. Last time I checked, they also make it a point of being careful around a flock of geese and prevent takeoffs if there is danger of a bird strike. They will also shut things down because of FOD.

Pointless statement. We can't control the geese but we can control sUAS operations. Would you want to be fighting a fire, flying in some of the worst possible conditions and have the stress/danger of a rogue sUAS added to your mission?

Wildlife can (and does) shut down an air operation if they endanger the safety of the air operation.

The tailrotor on any helo is especially fragile and loss of tail rotor can easily cripple one and cause any type of "safe/controlled" landing impossible.

It'll never be illegal. Just more restrictions in place. Speeding, DUI etc are illegal, but they still happen, causing so many deaths years. But they never resulted in cars being illegal.
Drones have become common now. News, websites, movies, TV shows, advertisements, real estate, etc are using drone footage. Emergency services also find useful applications for drones, as well as agriculture and other industries.
Fly responsibly, just as you need to drive responsibly.
What would most likely happen is that irresponsible drone pilots will be apprehended and charged, just like someone who's DUI or speeding.

Something being illegal never stopped anybody.
It helps honest and law abiding people to think twice before doing something.

Being illegal never stopped a criminal from doing something but it does indeed stop the others. I know for myself that if there was no speed limit on a road I'd go MUCH faster than I do. Same goes for stop signs etc.

I am not a pilot, but I remember hearing that 2 aircraft passing within one mile of one another is called a "near miss"

Reactions: Thwyllo
Illegal is a person, not a drone.
And all this madness about drones is stupid.

I don't know (yet) a case of a human get killed by a drone, in the whole earth. Instead I know many cases of people killed by planes and helicopters. Should they be illegal, too?

US is full of military weapons. From guns and rifles, to tanks and canons. And they are legal.

In everyone's house, there are many things, more dangerous than a Mavic air, but technology must go on.

Drones are more useful than dangerous.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803