DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

WGX2 Gimbal?

1cmathis

Reactions
Anyone using the Osmo Action with the WGX2 wearable gimbal?

Yep - me :)

I'm using it chest mounted and handlebar mounted on a mountain bike. It will work helmet mounted but it's a bit heavy. My best results are handlebar mounted on the road, and chest mounted on trails.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnmcl7
Thanks for the rapid reply.

The max payload for the gimbal is 130g and the Action weighs 124g, but you're saying it works well?

Thanks for the rapid reply.

The max payload for the gimbal is 130g and the Action weighs 124g, but you're saying it works well?

Yes it works well. If the gimbal is not balanced then it just turns itself off. I have an external mic and adapter so it's not well balanced. I use small counterweights to balance it as near as possible. Then turn it in and it balances itself perfectly.

I would say that the HDR mode doesn't work well with fast action as the electronic stabilisation is off. I use it in 4k cinelike with rocksteady on and get good results.

Great info, thanks.

I just ordered one and can't wait to try it on the bike.

You have a couple of modes with the gimbal and you can get it to follow the curve, follow the spot you first focused on and level horizon. I haven't yet used all the modes, but I've just been out on my mountain bike again :)

I used his setup, except I think the gimbal is still set to factory defaults. The only thing I did was to put a chest strap round the top of the chest mount to stop it bouncing as my rucksack doesn't have the cross strap his does.

This was taken yesterday, but as I left the house in a rush I forgot the extra chest strap, so this is with the gimbal bouncing around slightly over bigger bumps. But to be honest it's mainly a comfort thing, as the gimbal copes well with bouncing.

I would say it's important to make sure the gimbal and camera balance reasonably well before turn on. It might mean some solution using penny washers. I purchased a set of gimbal counter weights, but find that the clamp without the weights is just about right.

I tried both the chest harness and handlebar mount today. It works well, until you get over about 40-45 MPH. Then, it tilts to the right, because of the wind. The motor just isn't strong enough to hold it's position against the wind.

That's understandable and I can't fault the gimbal for it. I just needed to learn it's limitations.

Yep - me :)

I'm using it chest mounted and handlebar mounted on a mountain bike. It will work helmet mounted but it's a bit heavy. My best results are handlebar mounted on the road, and chest mounted on trails.

How do you find the gimbal vs the stabilisation builtin to the Osmo Action? I have a Zhiyun Rider-m which I chest mount with a GoPro Session 5 and I find the stabilisation is incredible, the footage just seems impossibly smooth given how rough the terrain is. However it's not weather sealed so I was looking at an Osmo Action for winter use but I was concerned that the stabilisation needs good light since it runs at a higher speed to be able to counter the motion when I'd be using it at a time when there's generally less light.

The built in stabilisation is surprisingly good!

Most of my town is built on what was a huge private estate, and one of the estate roads was an ornamental drive. Some of this drive is heathland paths, and a portion is built on. I'm making a film tracing the road as it is today with a commentary about the history. Mostly osmo footage, with other stuff for interest and context.

Anyway, I've gone over the paths a few times and the ones for the visuals is on the gimbal and the audio commentary is the same cam chest mounted but no gimbal.

Looking at the footage side by side, trail riding along gravel paths with bumps in you need to look closely to see the differences. When I go over bumps, the gimbal assembly bumps up and down if I forget to wear a second chest strap at the top of the chest mount to stop this. (cheap chest mount!) This is visible in a slight up and down bounce - but only if you know where to look, and what you are looking for! I have the stabilisation on with the camera too.

Without the gimbal it's still smooth, but the gimbal removes the side to side swaying rhythm that's visible when you are pedalling hard.

I've had to do some retakes as I've acidentally had the camera on HDR mode with doesn't have the stabilisation - even gimbal mounted footage.

I'm looking for some movement to suggest bike riding over trails, but not movement that's going to be irritating. What works best for my purpose is gimbal with side to side panning and the camera in 4K with d-cinelike and rocksteady on. I can do stuff with the footage in post better with d-cinelike, plus it fits in better with the Mavic 2 d-cinelike footage.

I've tried it on dull days, and to be honest it works fine. I don't tend to use dull day footage because dappled sunlight through trees is more visually appealing!

I would say that the Osmo is a bit on the heavy side, so whatever gimbal you have you may well need to add some couterweights to balance it. My gimbal will turn off if it's not balanced. I did have another gimbal that said it didn't need to be balanced as it had "Powerful motors" that simply got hot and died.

Reactions: Johnmcl7
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803