DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What’s in your drone bag? - new pilot

Dur8an Poison

Reactions
Soon to get my Mavic 2 Pro Flymore and was wondering what experienced pilots have in their bags? Not going to get many accessories, just want to make sure I have the basics covered.
Also any other items that are useful to keep.
Thanks in advance.

Lowepro flipside 400 awII, I have 5 batteries, a sunshade for the RC, extra propellers, a Canon camera, helipad, a couple of sunshades for the camera, filters, night lights, a selfiestick with stand for the Canon, a powerpack for charging the phone and RC. some cables, a windmeter, extra memorycards.

Attachments

• 376634D2-D425-4B7D-9FCB-C0AF63ABB181.jpeg
    376634D2-D425-4B7D-9FCB-C0AF63ABB181.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 168
  • 3364DCFC-7302-4DBB-8748-F5C106D7C4F1.jpeg
    3364DCFC-7302-4DBB-8748-F5C106D7C4F1.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 180
  • AA03BEFF-1B0C-4102-8345-86E7EC89703E.jpeg
    AA03BEFF-1B0C-4102-8345-86E7EC89703E.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 177
  • 99C5EFE6-EFCF-40E4-95E5-51E59E310390.jpeg
    99C5EFE6-EFCF-40E4-95E5-51E59E310390.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 176
Last edited by a moderator:
I converted a Makita backpack for my Mavic’s.

On the inside.
MP, MP2, batteries , controllers, cables, filters, strobes & digital camera.

Outside pouch.
Landing pad, iPad, bracket for iPad & a small polythene sheet to kneel on for setting thing up when the ground is wet.

DSCF4053.JPG

OK some of my dividers could do with some more glue but I moved thing round and haven't got it 100% finished yet.

Reactions: Dur8an Poison
Soon to get my Mavic 2 Pro Flymore and was wondering what experienced pilots have in their bags? Not going to get many accessories, just want to make sure I have the basics covered.
Also any other items that are useful to keep.
Thanks in advance.
Having a Mavic 2 Pro with the SC Smart Controller minimizes needs. I'm Part 107 certified and do an occasional commercial job. The only extras in my kit are 2 extra batteries, ND filters, extended foldable landing legs attached to the drone and a lens cleaning cloth.

So, this is how i ended up for now - i stopped using photo backpack completely, as it was not giving enough space for all the parts and was not convenient enough, for me.
so, for traveling the whole stuff sits in the hard case in the car - it is easy to transport it all this way, and hard case fits all i need - 2 chargers, 2 drones, 4 batteries, filters and props, cables, etc.
on the left is a pgytech mini hard case that fits either drone - so you can put it into a proper hiking backpack or sack and throw in the remote without a case as well, it does not need much protection. on a right is the flymore kit original bag that is used on most short hikes - fits a drone, SC and 2 spare batteries. it has settled this way for now and nothing else is needed.
dedicated backpack did not work out as it never has enough space for rest of stuff you need to carry with you on a longer hike. waterproof hard case is way more convenient and robust.
2019-09-22 09.59.10.jpg

One of my most important items that I won't fly without is my Marco Polo Drone Retrieval System. I fly mostly up at 8,000' plus in the rugged terrain of the Rocky Mountains. I flew my Original Phantom 3 Pro for a couple of years and after extensive research when I received my new Phantom 4 I charged my Marco Polo, zip tied it to a skid, and sent my P4 out for it's first flight. I'm surrounded by 120 foot tall Ponderosa Trees and about a half mile away it struck the top of one of those trees. After finally realizing that my P4 wasn't returning I,without reading the instructions, walked up and down canyons, and found my P4! Since then I have a Marco Polo Tag installed on all my drones including my Mavic Pro, my Inspire 1v2, my P4PV2.0, and now my Mavic 2 Pro with the Smart Controler, all of which I still have and fly. I brought this up as a lot of owners learn the hard way that the Marco Polo is the best not requiring the Internet or Cellular Service! Good luck and happy flying!

I like the minimalist approach so the bag of my choice is Tenba Messenger DNA 10.
Originally purchased for my Mavic Air, currently using for M2P. Apart the pictured stuff I am also able to fit inside 10" tablet, wallet, keys, and outside a water bottle..
Excellent bag that after taking off the padded dividers can be used as normal messenger bag. IMG_20190922_151245.jpeg

Which reminds me. I really must find my ND filters. I know where my ND10000 big stopper is but no idea where my filming ones are...

So, this is how i ended up for now - i stopped using photo backpack completely, as it was not giving enough space for all the parts and was not convenient enough, for me.
so, for traveling the whole stuff sits in the hard case in the car - it is easy to transport it all this way, and hard case fits all i need - 2 chargers, 2 drones, 4 batteries, filters and props, cables, etc.
on the left is a pgytech mini hard case that fits either drone - so you can put it into a proper hiking backpack or sack and throw in the remote without a case as well, it does not need much protection. on a right is the flymore kit original bag that is used on most short hikes - fits a drone, SC and 2 spare batteries. it has settled this way for now and nothing else is needed.
dedicated backpack did not work out as it never has enough space for rest of stuff you need to carry with you on a longer hike. waterproof hard case is way more convenient and robust.
View attachment 82172
If you don't mind telling, where did you get that hard case? It looks like it's just what I need. Also, there appear to be velcro strips on the drones. What is their purpose?

If you don't mind telling, where did you get that hard case? It looks like it's just what I need. Also, there appear to be velcro strips on the drones. What is their purpose?
hard velcros on batteries are for marco polo transmitter, i use it from time to time, but lately i never had to fly too far from the line of direct sight. still, ni the forest - it helps to have a gps tag on the drone.

case i have is this one, for 2 drones i would say you would be better with a 18" version - one i got is a 16" and it is a bit narrow. but, it fits into car better, so, there is always some tradeoff to deal with.

there are many cases like this one - i just was not sure if i wanted the hard case for sure, so i went with a cheaper option and so far it actually works fine.

hard velcros on batteries are for marco polo transmitter, i use it from time to time, but lately i never had to fly too far from the line of direct sight. still, ni the forest - it helps to have a gps tag on the drone.

case i have is this one, for 2 drones i would say you would be better with a 18" version - one i got is a 16" and it is a bit narrow. but, it fits into car better, so, there is always some tradeoff to deal with.

there are many cases like this one - i just was not sure if i wanted the hard case for sure, so i went with a cheaper option and so far it actually works fine.
Thank you for your reply. I think I'll order one.

I have the MP2 Zoom and setup as follows. 3 batteries, camera filters (4, 8, 16 & pl), extra props (have never needed them). Recently also got a 42" pad, since concrete usually has some type of wire or rebar in it which tends to mess with the compass. The pad allows you to land an take off from pretty much any surface. I also bought a charger that will charge all my batteries and controller at once. I leave that charger at home and keep the original that came with the AC in my Nanuk 925 (yellow) hard case, for when I take the MP2 along on the road. The Nanuk 925 case is made to work with the Smart Controller which I have. That case is not cheap by any stretch, but is very well built and keeps the bird very safe and secure.

Inside my flymore small bag:
M2P aircraft
M2P remote controller
3 batteries
2 set of propelers
1 ND/PL pgytech filter set
12V vechicle charger
1 USB adapter for microSD card (sometimes you need to transfer the files to a notebook at the field)
1 range extender for RC
1 battery USB adapter
1 common wall socket charger
1 charging HUB
flying license (papers)

I ditched the soft bag/backpack as well and use this custom SKB case. It's great when I travel as I often ship my stuff ahead to my destination. Also when I'm local, I made a collapsible stand that turns the case into a small table (think "TV tray" type scissor stand).

fullsizeoutput_c37.jpeg

M2P w/4 batteries (one in aircraft)
Battery shaped 3D printed box contains small doodads (USB adapters, extra controller cables, etc)
Controller
Custom 3D printed mounting plate w/Crystal Sky Phantom mount (top middle)
M2P hood (useful to cut glare, especially at sunrise/sunset) (below mounting plate)
Custom 3D printed filter case with Skyreat ND/NDPL filters
Car charger
AC charger
Cables
1000-nit CrystalSky with batteries and charger.

Not shown M2P 4 battery AC simultaneous charger (I generally leave this at home). Note that there are several versions as the design was upgraded. I really like this charger but this video will help you find the good one if interested (no affiliation, just good info):

I've got a Smatree backpack which has 2 compartments. Front smaller compartment has my Spark, 3 batteries, rc, Spare propellers, charger. Rear compartment Mavic Pro Platinum, 3 batteries, parabollickers, rc, stent , tablet, charger and cables. Landing pad clipped to the outside

I've got the lowepro drone bag bp250 , M2P ,SMC , fly more kit, complete polar pro ND/PL filters and the long exposure set , polar pro folding extension legs,night lights pgytech extension legs,microfiber cloth and lenspen for maintenance, Micro SD cards and micro SD cards reader
and for camera im using currently my note 10+

I picked up a Dacckit bag from Amazon, holds 4 batteries, my M2Pro, remote, cables, charger, misc cables, extra propellers, etc. Fits the M2Pro with the props on and a battery to save a little time. So I guess it holds 5 total? I'd call it a 'firm case' as it's soft-ish on the outside but has a firm shell to it. For only 30 bucks I'm quite happy with it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929