DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What actually happens when you do an authorization/unlock?

Nobody would know exactly, but most likely they just keep a record of who requested an unlock for what zone and when to be able to communicate it if asked by authorities / if they have to defend themselves in a case.

I should be more specific. What kind of data is it sending to DJI and what do they do with it? Do they give it to authorities for example?
I reckon they do pass it on to authorities yes. Reason I say this. I did an unlock on the outskirts of an aerodrome. And within 5 mins of me taking off a Police van arrived. I was only doing low flying around a small river. The moment they saw it was a mini 2, they turned around and left. Wish they would've stopped so I could have a chat. Anyway, now I'm scared of unlocking. And rather just fly where no unlock is necessary.

More likely the aerodrome has a scanner like Aerocope and were able to find out on their own without it being related to the unlock.

I reckon they do pass it on to authorities yes. Reason I say this. I did an unlock on the outskirts of an aerodrome. And within 5 mins of me taking off a Police van arrived. I was only doing low flying around a small river. The moment they saw it was a mini 2, they turned around and left. Wish they would've stopped so I could have a chat. Anyway, now I'm scared of unlocking. And rather just fly where no unlock is necessary.

I doubt the DJI app managed to relay that information and the police appear that quickly.

• Haha
Reactions: bernek
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lschabert