DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What are the best LUTs to use for mavic video footage?

Reactions
Wanting to start some post processing and colour grading on videos I am taking with my mavic. Any suggestions on a good all round LUT or LUT packages? as well as the best camera settings to use it with these LUTs? There are so many different ones online it gets confusing and I don't know where to start... I will be using Filmora to edit the videos. Many thanks!

Reactions: kd84
Check this guy out on YouTube
He has lots of good advice on davinci and links to some luts...not had chance to try properly yet myself.

Reactions: BigAl07
Reactions: Bluenoes
He does some very good videos. That's the same program and processes I use for lots of my work. I also use a few of their LUTs and will probably buy some of their LUTs packs in a day or so.

Ground Control - Color Grading LUTs for GoPro, Drones, Blackmagic, and More! is their website.
This is actually one of the LUT packages that confuses me... in most places it says that the -1 contrast setting on the camera is not the best and you should be looking at +1. I see this LUT is designed for -1 contrast? Has or does anyone use these LUTs and what is likely to happen if you change the contrast from -1 to +1 and then use these LUTs?

This is actually one of the LUT packages that confuses me... in most places it says that the -1 contrast setting on the camera is not the best and you should be looking at +1. I see this LUT is designed for -1 contrast? Has or does anyone use these LUTs and what is likely to happen if you change the contrast from -1 to +1 and then use these LUTs?

I think you are a little confused. Ground Control LUTs are made for Log -1, -3, -3, where the -1 refers to 'sharpness' and not 'contrast'. And I suspect in most places it says that +1 for sharpness is better than -1 for sharpness because -1 sharpness includes noise reduction. Most people tend to recommend a - number for contrast as it increases dynamic range.

Personally speaking I would choose a LUT that for color correcting that matches settings that you are happy with. I use Icarus Mavic LUTs for two reasons. One his settings suit mine pretty much D Cinelike +1, -1, 0, Sunny WB (he also makes D Log LUTS.) Secondly his LUTs are really only for color correcting (take your footage to a clean neutral state.) From there you can either grade (bring a look to your footage) yourself or apply a grading LUT like Ground Controls Rec 709 LUTs. Personally I dont really like LUTs that combine both correcting and grading.

My default workflow is to shoot in Dlog and then apply Ground Control Dlog to Rec.709. This is simply a colour space conversion, but it's not kind to contrast or noise, so shooting settings are essential to get right (I also use filters to shoot at the top end of brightness without clipping as Mavic just compresses the crap out of all footage, so keeping wife dynamic range is a bit of an art).

I then always colour grade but I don't tend to use creative LUTs, but that's just a personal preference. They also tend to mess with the dynamic range in unpredictable ways and I quite often either crush or blow the footage.

The trade off for high portability is a small sensor and high compression, so it's something we MP users will need to deal with (or I need to upgrade to a Inspire 2 with zenmuse X5 [emoji848]).

I think you are a little confused. Ground Control LUTs are made for Log -1, -3, -3, where the -1 refers to 'sharpness' and not 'contrast'. And I suspect in most places it says that +1 for sharpness is better than -1 for sharpness because -1 sharpness includes noise reduction. Most people tend to recommend a - number for contrast as it increases dynamic range.

Personally speaking I would choose a LUT that for color correcting that matches settings that you are happy with. I use Icarus Mavic LUTs for two reasons. One his settings suit mine pretty much D Cinelike +1, -1, 0, Sunny WB (he also makes D Log LUTS.) Secondly his LUTs are really only for color correcting (take your footage to a clean neutral state.) From there you can either grade (bring a look to your footage) yourself or apply a grading LUT like Ground Controls Rec 709 LUTs. Personally I dont really like LUTs that combine both correcting and grading.
Yes sorry, it's the sharpness setting I was meaning. Thanks for the clarity that makes sense now.

My default workflow is to shoot in Dlog and then apply Ground Control Dlog to Rec.709. This is simply a colour space conversion, but it's not kind to contrast or noise, so shooting settings are essential to get right (I also use filters to shoot at the top end of brightness without clipping as Mavic just compresses the crap out of all footage, so keeping wife dynamic range is a bit of an art).

I then always colour grade but I don't tend to use creative LUTs, but that's just a personal preference. They also tend to mess with the dynamic range in unpredictable ways and I quite often either crush or blow the footage.

The trade off for high portability is a small sensor and high compression, so it's something we MP users will need to deal with (or I need to upgrade to a Inspire 2 with zenmuse X5 [emoji848]).
Thanks will do a bit of testing this weekend.

Thanks will do a bit of testing this weekend.

I'm eager to see your results. A lot of the finer aspects of photography are new and fairly daunting to my old ways and thoughts LOL.

Reactions: Johnrichardson
I'm eager to see your results. A lot of the finer aspects of photography are new and fairly daunting to my old ways and thoughts LOL.

This isn't actually the perfect example, but it's the one I have closest to hand while I'm away from home. As you can see, it was pretty cloudy and flat in the original footage, and with a DLOG-Rec.709 LUT and a bit of manual colour grading, it comes up much better.

I have some much better examples, but will have to wait until I'm home in about two weeks... :/

Did you shoot this with the mavic ? (pardon my "dumb" question , it is the mavic pilots forum ... :) )

Guys the best LUTs on the market is the SpectrumGrades cinematic presets. They are brilliantly optimized for the Mavic footage and have incredible color styles that are almost impossible to achieve for the normal user and are really easy to use. The general feedback with everyone using them as been highly praised. Check out the examples of them being used. Highly recommended.... www.SpectrumGrades.com

Here some sample videos...

Here's a tutorial on how to use them...

Guys the best LUTs on the market is the SpectrumGrades cinematic presets. They are brilliantly optimized for the Mavic footage and have incredible color styles that are almost impossible to achieve for the normal user and are really easy to use. The general feedback with everyone using them as been highly praised. Check out the examples of them being used. Highly recommended.... www.SpectrumGrades.com

Here some sample videos...

Here's a tutorial on how to use them...

There is an unneeded dot in the URL that you posted that causes the spectrum grades website to not load properly. A small detail.

If I was to pick one package now which one should I get. Ibwould love to have all of the spectrumgrade luts but that's pretty costly.

This isn't actually the perfect example, but it's the one I have closest to hand while I'm away from home. As you can see, it was pretty cloudy and flat in the original footage, and with a DLOG-Rec.709 LUT and a bit of manual colour grading, it comes up much better.

I have some much better examples, but will have to wait until I'm home in about two weeks... :/

looks great Kdog

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom