DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What are the proper Yagi-Uda dimensions?

jumpingbean

Reactions
The yagi-uda adapter from Thingiverse is one of the most important pieces you can get for your Mavic Mini. It works really well, but I've asked myself - does the design max out its potential?

As somebody has already mentioned, different diameters work better for the 2.4 GHz design than the ones described originally. , Another person on Thingiverse posts that the directors on the 5.8 GHz design shouldn't be much shorter than the reflector. Currently, they are at 14.5 mm and 24.5 mm, which is quite a difference.

I've checked with some calculators and indeed, they suggest the reflector length of 24,5 mm and directors of 23 mm.

Does anybody have the idea why so much difference? Maybe somebody has put the antenna together with those lengths and can post their results?

Just received my 5.8 ghz Yagi antenna from Slovenia and it definitely increased range and aids in video transmission. Better than the foiled reflectors. I live in a rural area with little interference so can't comment on urban improvement.

Reactions: m80116
Just received my 5.8 ghz Yagi antenna from Slovenia and it definitely increased range and aids in video transmission. Better than the foiled reflectors. I live in a rural area with little interference so can't comment on urban improvement.

I’ve crafted one myself according to the same design and now I won’t fly without them. I’ve found them being about 30% more effective than the reflectors in an urban setting.

What bothers me is the fact, that the 14.5 mm director lengths don’t correspond with data coming yagi calculators. That might be an opportunity to push the mini a tad further.

Reactions: Cookaboorra
can you tell me the spacing between elements?

Spacing between the elements appears to be 7 mm. From mid-element to mid-element 9.5 mm.

The guy who designed the antenna answered in this thread:

I believe he commented somewhere that for 2.4 GHz version, it might be more suitable to use 2.5 mm antennas instead of 3 mm

If someone could make a diagram that shows the dimensions of the rods and the distance between them for both 2.4-5.8 GHz everyone will be so much happier

I found a Japanese channel he shows the distance between the rods for 2.4 GHz

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis