DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What are you Using to attach Strobes?

TexasStar15

Reactions
I was using command strips from 3M and they worked pretty good. Then I bought strobe mounts from Aerial Pixel for the arms and the bottom of the drone. The 1st flight the bottom mount fell off, lost the mount and the strobe. Just wondered what you guys were using to attach your strobes to the drone, I'm not really happy with anything I've tried yet. Thanks

If your Aerial Pixel mount fell off, you need to let Ryan know and he'll probably send you a replacement after making the adjustment. I would stick with the ones for the arms only. When installed correctly, they are almost impossible to fall off.

Reactions: TexasStar15
I use high quality velcro. I attach on to the top, one to the right front leg facing forward and on to the back left leg facing backward. I have flown quite a few times at night and haven't had a problem.

Reactions: BearMan54
I was using command strips from 3M and they worked pretty good. Then I bought strobe mounts from Aerial Pixel for the arms and the bottom of the drone. The 1st flight the bottom mount fell off, lost the mount and the strobe. Just wondered what you guys were using to attach your strobes to the drone, I'm not really happy with anything I've tried yet. Thanks
Check out this Link: I believe it's the best method out there and provides the most options and is the most professional approach to attaching a Strobe to the Air 3 I can't see buying a $1,500 Drone and then attaching a strobe to it with VELCRO :( I have not purchased this yet, but plan to SOON! Would love to hear of anyone else who has tried the method used in this video link.
DJI Strobe Mounts

Reactions: Torque
I have been using the OUTDOOR Velcro on many RC helicopters, drones and even an Aerospatiale Gazelle (real helicopter) for more than 10 years and have never had a failure. I have used it for Strobes, Go Pro cameras, and headset hooks and found it to be secure and reliable for every application!

Check out this Link: I believe it's the best method out there and provides the most options and is the most professional approach to attaching a Strobe to the Air 3 I can't see buying a $1,500 Drone and then attaching a strobe to it with VELCRO :( I have not purchased this yet, but plan to SOON! Would love to hear of anyone else who has tried the method used in this video link.
DJI Strobe Mounts

There's nothing weak or delicate about Velcro hook and loop fasteners. The parachute pack I used way back in the 70s had several Velcro components. US infantrymen and Marines have quite a bit of Velcro on their field uniforms and gear.

I've had no problems using it to mount strobes on drones. It's lightweight, inexpensive, convenient, and effective.

DJI Strobe Mounts
Jim, I have several dozen of various strobe mounts from Aerial Pixel, he's been printed them for years. They are all custom made which means they fit the different arms tightly and they mount in such a way as to avoid propeller strike. They also take into account the arm angle to give the maximum visibility meaning each housing has a different angle. All mounts are marked, left right front back. They are super durable but I wouldn't take them on and off daily. Once you insert the strobe light in the socket, it's very tight so you probably should leave it in there where it can be charged thru the accessible port. I mark the mount with the color because you cannot always tell which color they are. Every drone has their own set of strobes so this is ideal for me.

Obviously there is nothing more durable or more professional especially when you consider the glossy black mounts but there's nothing wrong with good strong velcro for a clean, stealth installation in which you want to easily rotate strobes across different drones. It's not that windy and bumpy that you need much better although I wouldn't trust them on my FPV mostly because there isn't an available wide flat mounting surface for a good grip. A detached and lost strobe is not a big deal, you may be able to go find it flashing at night. It's a big problem if it gets caught in your prop.

Reactions: BearMan54
I have always used the Aerial-Pixel top mount attachment. For my Mavic Air 2, Air 2S and now Air 3.

I use only a single Arc V strobe, which meets FAA requirements. You really don't need a strobe on every arm of the drone!

Zero problems/issues to date.

The extra strobes that I put on the arms are for my own use. From the ground I can better see the drone and based on the color, I can tell the orientation.

3M dual lock is what most of us use I think. Amazon has it. Dual Lock reclosable fastener

Dale

Reactions: Torque
Arc V strobes with Aerial Pixel mounts on a Mavic 2 Pro. Seems to work great for me. Incredible visibility.

Jim, I have several dozen of various strobe mounts from Aerial Pixel, he's been printed them for years. They are all custom made which means they fit the different arms tightly and they mount in such a way as to avoid propeller strike. They also take into account the arm angle to give the maximum visibility meaning each housing has a different angle. All mounts are marked, left right front back. They are super durable but I wouldn't take them on and off daily. Once you insert the strobe light in the socket, it's very tight so you probably should leave it in there where it can be charged thru the accessible port. I mark the mount with the color because you cannot always tell which color they are. Every drone has their own set of strobes so this is ideal for me.

Obviously there is nothing more durable or more professional especially when you consider the glossy black mounts but there's nothing wrong with good strong velcro for a clean, stealth installation in which you want to easily rotate strobes across different drones. It's not that windy and bumpy that you need much better although I wouldn't trust them on my FPV mostly because there isn't an available wide flat mounting surface for a good grip. A detached and lost strobe is not a big deal, you may be able to go find it flashing at night. It's a big problem if it gets caught in your prop.
Great Feedback...Thank you!!!
Can you remind me re: Strobe to be legal, it has to be WHITE...RIGHT? OR...Are there other colors that can legally be used for the strobe requirement?

Also, Is it OK to have the strobe on the bottom of the Drone? I don't believe their is a rule where on the drone it needs to be is there?

Great Feedback...Thank you!!!
Can you remind me re: Strobe to be legal, it has to be WHITE...RIGHT? OR...Are there other colors that can legally be used for the strobe requirement?

Also, Is it OK to have the strobe on the bottom of the Drone? I don't believe their is a rule where on the drone it needs to be is there?
The toothless regulation doesn't mention anything about color or placement. It mentions a 3 mile visibility but even that is at the discretion of the drone pilot.

Reactions: kidroc
The toothless regulation doesn't mention anything about color or placement. It mentions a 3 mile visibility but even that is at the discretion of the drone pilot.
White strobes provide the greatest visibility. Any color may be used.

14 CFR 107.29 Operation at night.
(b) No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft system during periods of civil twilight unless the small unmanned aircraft has lighted anti-collision lighting visible for at least 3 statute miles that has a flash rate sufficient to avoid a collision. The remote pilot in command may reduce the intensity of, but may not extinguish, the anti-collision lighting if he or she determines that, because of operating conditions, it would be in the interest of safety to do so.

Reactions: maggior
Hey John,
Our bottom mounts for the Mavic 3 and Air 3 are extremely popular and I haven't heard any issues of it coming off. If after you put it on and you can't pickup the drone by it you didn't fully engage the clips. Check out this video:
Notice how you slide the rear clip in from the side then just push down on the front clip to fully secure it. Give it a good tug, if it doesn't come off you did it right, you should need to use 3 fingers on the front removal tabs to be able to pry it off.
Reach out to me through direct message on here or on the Facebook connect button on the website and I can get you a replacement mount.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer