DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What are you using to edit 4k videos?

Native Hawk eye

Reactions
I been using Sony vegas 12 for ages. After getting my Mavic I found myself having to convert my 4k videos to 1080p on one of those Free YouTube Downloaders then I'm able to actually edit it. What are you guys doing in this regard? Also, is there a better way to compress the 4k video to 1080p than the way I'm doing it? Your tips are really appreciate it.. thanks

I switch around - from Adobe Premier or Final cut pro.... utilizing lut's for quick results sometimes. I hope this helps.

Reactions: Native Hawk eye
I have a list of commonly used video editors here.

Reactions: rfc0001
I been using Sony vegas 12 for ages. After getting my Mavic I found myself having to convert my 4k videos to 1080p on one of those Free YouTube Downloaders then I'm able to actually edit it. What are you guys doing in this regard? Also, is there a better way to compress the 4k video to 1080p than the way I'm doing it? Your tips are really appreciate it.. thanks

If you're using a relatively up to date version of Premier Pro then Google using proxies in Premier pro. it fires up encoder and reduces resolution to a more workable size, but when you export your finished work it encodes out to full resolutions ie. 4K.

Handbrake is very popular.

Thanks guys. I been trying out this here handbreaks and in my opinion does what i need for the moment till i can upgrade my pc.. Here is a sample of a 4k video dropped to 1080p edited on Sony Vegas 12. Not a pro but im always learning. The Viper is a local celeb's out sun bathing his Pumpkin..lol.. What do you guys think?

Note: For some reason on this page the video looks grainy on 1080. Looks better on the YT page. Weired.

Last edited:
Are you converting your videos to 1080 pre edit because your machine isn't fast enough? I'm not even using Sony Vegas, I'm just using Sony Movie Studio 13 platinum and I can edit in 4k no problem and export into whatever resolution and frame rate I choose.

Adobe Premiere CC 2017 on the following laptop
17.3 inch 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) IGZO IPS Anti-Glare 400-nits Display
NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 980M with 8GB GDDR5
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6820HK (Quad-Core, 8MB Cache, Dynamically Overclocked up to 4.1GHz)
32GB Dual Channel DDR4 2133Mhz (16GBx2)
256GB PCIe SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)
Intel 8260 2x2 802.11ac 2.4/5GHz + Bluetooth4.1

Are you converting your videos to 1080 pre edit because your machine isn't fast enough? I'm not even using Sony Vegas, I'm just using Sony Movie Studio 13 platinum and I can edit in 4k no problem and export into whatever resolution and frame rate I choose.

I can render it, just cant edit because the preview is really laggy due to file size. But im holding up till i get a better machine. But yea, Im converting with handbreak raw then edit the 1080p copy.

I can render it, just cant edit because the preview is really laggy due to file size. But im holding up till i get a better machine. But yea, Im converting with handbreak raw then edit the 1080p copy.
ya fair enough, I'm running a decent machine so I don't have too much lag. Have you tried using Dynamic RAM preview in Vegas? It works pretty good for short clips. Just highlight the clip, and Shift+B.

I use Adobe Premiere CC, but if you want a heck of a lot of power in an editor as well as one of the industry's best color correction applications, for free (really), check out Devinci Resolve. A bit of a learning curve for the color part, but the editor is fairly straightforward.

In a lot of editing applications, the better ones at least, you can set your preview to lower quality to speed things up while editing. It won't look nearly as good while editing, but at least it shouldn't be as laggy. And it will be full-quality when exporting.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zack400