DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What are your thoughts about the new DJI #SmartController that listed a steep $649.00 dollars? #

I was flying a Mavic Air with an iPad 2018, then upgraded a few weeks ago to the Smart Controller and M2P. Bundled, the price felt more palatable. While I have only flown with it once, I do like it.

Pros:
  • Screen is super clear
  • Remote feels solid, almost "proper" compared to the Air remote
  • No worry about phone calls, etc (from when I was using my iPhone before the iPad)
  • I'm sure there is a better way to describe it, but it just feels right for the expenditure involved.
Cons:
  • Non-variable antenna angle
  • No Litchi (though I had never used it with the Air, I have been wanting to try it)
  • RAW files cannot be downloaded to it
  • The process for getting pics/ vids from the Controller to my iPad is kind of kludgy (Go Share needs redone)
  • Should have come with a lanyard and attachment aid (though the ones people are making are interesting)
This is all based on my one flight, so I'm sure both lists will grow. Overall though, no regrets in getting this.
Here’s a universal lanyard attachment idea:
DJI Smart Controller - Screw Hole Mod

Reactions: Coskier
These are the only angles I get. Just different than my Air, where I could fold towards me and hold the controller comfortably parallel to the ground.

image01.jpegimage02.jpeg

Reactions: RogerMav
I agree with this. $300 would be an absurdly low price for the SC if bought as a standalone. I actually think it's a relative bargain at $650 USD when you break it down. Just to buy a smartphone with similar specs and a 5.5" 1080P screen would cost you around $400-500 alone. Now add a 5,000 mAh battery (which is double that of most smartphones), a full Mavic 2 controller system, Occusync 2, fixed antennae, HDMI out, USB-PD charging (only found on premium smartphones), 2.5hr of battery life usable down to -20C (smartphones will die long before that with prolonged use) and 1000 nits of brightness. Seems pretty good to me.

Of course the counter argument is that most people already own a smartphone, which is true, but that doesn't make the Smart Controller any less valuable on its own. It's almost $900 here in Canada and in my personal opinion it is a good deal even at that price. I got mine in a combo with the Mavic 2 Pro so it was a no-brainer at what amounts to $570 CAD ($425 USD).

I let my dad fly my M2P for the first time the other day and he had no problem at all seeing the display even with prescription sunglasses on - I thought that was great.

From the current state, at $650 it sounds like you are getting something that might work. At this point it seems like playing Russian Roulette. I’ll wait another 6 months or just buy a crystal sky monitor which I think is brighter, doesn’t have the matte finish on the screen and the screen is in a better position. I have 650 burning a hole in my pocket right now but there are threads all over the internet with major problems. I just got notifications from several places that the item is back in stock. So I am exercising tremendous self control here LOL. I’m actually really glad I bought my M2P back when the SC wasn’t available.

These are the only angles I get. Just different than my Air, where I could fold towards me and hold the controller comfortably parallel to the ground.

View attachment 65774View attachment 65775
Those are the correct positions to set it. Specially the second image for most flights holding your SC in almost horizontal position. It is illustrated in the manual. The completly extended position (your first image) is if you're kind of vertically below your drone.

DJI changef to this more convenient optimize position of the antennas.

Those are the correct positions to set it. Specially the second image for most flights holding your SC in almost horizontal position. It is illustrated in the manual. The completly extended position (your first image) is if you're kind of vertically below your drone.

DJI changef to this more convenient optimize position of the antennas.

Thank you. I need to find the manual and go over things more.

From the current state, at $650 it sounds like you are getting something that might work. At this point it seems like playing Russian Roulette. I’ll wait another 6 months or just buy a crystal sky monitor which I think is brighter, doesn’t have the matte finish on the screen and the screen is in a better position. I have 650 burning a hole in my pocket right now but there are threads all over the internet with major problems. I just got notifications from several places that the item is back in stock. So I am exercising tremendous self control here LOL. I’m actually really glad I bought my M2P back when the SC wasn’t available.

If you're implying that there is some kind of widespread issue with the SC I have not seen any evidence whatsoever of that, nor has it been my experience. Only the odd unconfirmed account on forums with no way to tell if user error is a factor - usually regarding software which has a higher probability of being user error in general. Also keep in mind people typically only post when they have a problem, while the majority of happy users usually stay silent (this goes for anything). My local drone shop (high volume across Canada) has also said they have not had a single customer report an issue with the SC as of yet - that is quite a large sample size.

The SC and 5.5" Crystal Sky are exactly the same at 1000 nits. You can also buy matte screen protectors if you wish, "Brotect" makes a good one.

If you want it just buy it from somewhere with a return policy, there is zero risk and the chances are overwhelmingly in your favor that there will be no issues. Heck, google "Mavic 2 issues" and you can read all day long, but most people don't have any problems.

Reactions: RogerMav
Thank you. I need to find the manual and go over things more.

The easiest thing is simply to remember is to always have the flat parts of the antenna facing the aircraft. Keeping them parallel is the other thing to remember, but the SC does that for you automatically.

While it looks like a more 'traditional' controller with the antenna pointed straight out, that means the flat portions are facing straight up and straight down, so you would only want that if the drone was directly above or below you. Pointed downward at 45 degrees is the position that will be ideal for most people, with the flat parts of the antenna facing both upward and outward, where it is most likely the drone will be flying.

If you're implying that there is some kind of widespread issue with the SC I have not seen any evidence whatsoever of that, nor has it been my experience. Only the odd unconfirmed account on forums with no way to tell if user error is a factor - usually regarding software which has a higher probability of being user error in general. Also keep in mind people typically only post when they have a problem, while the majority of happy users usually stay silent (this goes for anything). My local drone shop (high volume across Canada) has also said they have not had a single customer report an issue with the SC as of yet - that is quite a large sample size.

The SC and 5.5" Crystal Sky are exactly the same at 1000 nits. You can also buy matte screen protectors if you wish, "Brotect" makes a good one.

If you want it just buy it from somewhere with a return policy, there is zero risk and the chances are overwhelmingly in your favor that there will be no issues. Heck, google "Mavic 2 issues" and you can read all day long, but most people don't have any problems.

I see it here and on the DJI forums. Sounds like at least one store in Europe ceased selling it for the time being. Plus updating the firmware looks to be a major pain the arse.

I’ll go ahead and wait.

I see it here and on the DJI forums. Sounds like at least one store in Europe ceased selling it for the time being. Plus updating the firmware looks to be a major pain the arse.

I’ll go ahead and wait.

Firmware update takes about 90 seconds over WiFi - couldn't have been easier.

Don't google "Mavic 2 Issues", you might have to return it ;)

Like I said. Russian Roulette. And it’s definitely more than a few randos. It’s enough that a rational person would hold off.

Like I said. Russian Roulette. And it’s definitely more than a few randos. It’s enough that a rational person would hold off.
I don't understand why someone that has no intention on purchasing a product feels the need to come on here and try to make themselves feel better by bashing the product and taking jabs at others.

There is not a shred of real evidence that would suggest buying a SC is a gamble. Can you produce any actual data beyond anecdotal forum posts that suggests a widespread issue? I certainly have not seen any. Most forum posts I have seen are positive. DJI has not released any service advisories. There are a lot of happy users on here. Mine is fine. The drone shop I go to that sells country-wide has had no returns/complaints as of yet, which is a significant sample size. Those that have posted about issues, we have no idea what their skill level is or what their motivations might be. None of the drone news websites I frequent have written about it, and that is easy click-bait for them. Pretty hard to believe there is some sort of major issue with the SC.

If we use the same standard of evidence, no '"rational" person should have bought a Mavic 2 either. You can read all day long about Mavic problems and yet it appears you own one - a little hypocritical don't you think? It's entirely up to you to purchase or not, but making a comment like "It’s enough that a rational person would hold off" is a gross exaggeration and calling dozens of us owners irrational based on no actual evidence is not a good look. There are far, far, more people reporting issues with the Mavic 2, what made you ignore those when you bought one?

Anyway, from someone who actually owns the product I can tell you it's excellent and you're missing out. I have colleagues who own them as well with zero issues. Buy from somewhere that has a 30 day return policy and you have little to worry about. Most major credit cards will extend the warranty by a year as well.

I don't understand why someone that has no intention on purchasing a product feels the need to come on here and try to make themselves feel better by bashing the product and taking jabs at others.

Taking jabs? I don’t see that anywhere. There’s definitely some issues with this product. Lots of people with the same issues. There is no troll army out on the net making this stuff up. I won’t buy it for the same reason I don’t buy a new iPhone right after it gets launched.

There is not a shred of real evidence that would suggest buying a SC is a gamble. Can you produce any actual data beyond anecdotal forum posts that suggests a widespread issue? I certainly have not seen any. Most forum posts I have seen are positive. DJI has not released any service advisories. There are a lot of happy users on here. Mine is fine. The drone shop I go to that sells country-wide has had no returns/complaints as of yet, which is a significant sample size. Those that have posted about issues, we have no idea what their skill level is or what their motivations might be. None of the drone news websites I frequent have written about it, and that is easy click-bait for them. Pretty hard to believe there is some sort of major issue with the SC.

If we use the same standard of evidence, no '"rational" person should have bought a Mavic 2 either. You can read all day long about Mavic problems and yet it appears you own one - a little hypocritical don't you think? It's entirely up to you to purchase or not, but making a comment like "It’s enough that a rational person would hold off" is a gross exaggeration and calling dozens of us owners irrational based on no actual evidence is not a good look. There are far, far, more people reporting issues with the Mavic 2, what made you ignore those when you bought one?

Anyway, from someone who actually owns the product I can tell you it's excellent and you're missing out. I have colleagues who own them as well with zero issues. Buy from somewhere that has a 30 day return policy and you have little to worry about. Most major credit cards will extend the warranty by a year as well.

So you’re obviously a really sensitive guy. Not really my problem, but for the record, I never said you guys were irrational. I make irrational purchases all the time. My wife does it nearly every day. But I definitely think that avoiding this product at this point in time is completely rational given its many issues and if you already have gear that works well and performs to your satisfaction it’s even more rational.

Data? You mean other than the scores of threads and negative comments describing similar issues. Nope there is no data other than that. To each their own...

I don’t think it’s hypocritical because I didn’t buy one until months after it was launched. There is some saying out there about early adopters about being test users. Not everyone wants that experience.

All my gear works perfectly right now. My iPhone, I already had a 12.9 iPad Pro. Maybe in the summer when this new thing is sorted out I will take the plunge but not now. I am hoping that they make one with iOS, heck if they did that from the start I would already own one of these things.

I received my SC with the 1st group of shipments to the US. Turned it on. It updated. Went out and flew. The updates install in about 2 minutes through wifi. The screen is very easy to see, even in cloudless sunny days. I can be flying in a few minutes. If I were to lose the SC, I would be getting a replacment as soon as I could.

I want to post my experience so far, not for arguing, also with no intentions other then give a good feedback. Because we have to take into account that in forums is must common to find a post with a complain or problem rather then a good experience and this is normal because it is the most easy place to go and find out experiences of other people and how they corrected any problem they may have had. Must people with good experiences are not going to post saying that they had a great day or flight.

I also got my SC as soon as it was available in the country where I´m living and as soon as I opened the box I updated and then whent flying and had not issues and have had no issues so far in about 10 flights that I have using the SC. So in other words my experience has being really awesome with the SC.

Reactions: Greenflash
So you’re obviously a really sensitive guy. Not really my problem, but for the record, I never said you guys were irrational. I make irrational purchases all the time. My wife does it nearly every day. But I definitely think that avoiding this product at this point in time is completely rational given its many issues and if you already have gear that works well and performs to your satisfaction it’s even more rational.

Data? You mean other than the scores of threads and negative comments describing similar issues. Nope there is no data other than that. To each their own...

I don’t think it’s hypocritical because I didn’t buy one until months after it was launched. There is some saying out there about early adopters about being test users. Not everyone wants that experience.

All my gear works perfectly right now. My iPhone, I already had a 12.9 iPad Pro. Maybe in the summer when this new thing is sorted out I will take the plunge but not now. I am hoping that they make one with iOS, heck if they did that from the start I would already own one of these things.

I've been contributing to forums far too long to bother with getting offended, but I am however interested in facts, and think it's important to challenge people who perpetuate knowingly false or unproven information for the benefit of other readers. If you are going to make bold claims like buying the smart controller is equitable to playing "Russian roulette", the burden of proof is on you to back that up. There is no objective evidence of that you have shown whatsoever, and pointing to anonymous forum posts that have already shown a high instance of user error is not objective evidence. You have so far also refused to acknowledge all similar evidence to the contrary, presumably because it doesn't support your opinion.

You did call all of us happy SC owners irrational, with this verbatim quote: "It’s enough that a rational person would hold off" . Anyone who did not hold off is irrational by your own definition. Now you're backpedaling.

I don't know how many threads I've read now with people with FW issues not using the right version of DJI Assistant (user error).

Mavic 2 forum complaints and threads about problems have not subsided, if anything they are more common now that there are more owners, so I will ask you again - why did you buy one if your reason for not buying the SC is that there are unsubstantiated forum complaints about it? When the issues and complaints did not subside as the months went on, why did you make the decision to buy?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lobodevich