DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What are your thoughts about the new DJI #SmartController that listed a steep $649.00 dollars? #

The on-going controversy of whether or not the Smart Controller is worth it or problematic won't be solved by us. The cost issue is purely personal. It is a budget buster for some and an easy purchase for others.

But there are apparently issues for some folks. The fact that DJI is having people send the controller back because of stalls in upgrading firmware does make me a bit concerned about upgrading when the controller asks for it. And, yes, DJI is making such requests in their forum. Maybe not many or maybe too many. Hard to say but it is happening.

I like the SC. Mine has not had any issues other than the occasional Chinese text in some submenu. It certainly proved very convenient when I took it to a friend's home to grab some sunset pictures and only had to throw the lanyard around my neck and push a button on the controller and another on the drone. No cables to fiddle with, no juggling to connect the controller to a cellphone or tablet and no mount to realign. No forced closing of extraneous apps. Simple and sweet.

Thankfully, at the moment, I don't have to answer the question of whether I would do it again or maybe wait another month or two.

Reactions: RogerMav
I've been contributing to forums far too long to bother with getting offended, but I am however interested in facts, and think it's important to challenge people who perpetuate knowingly false or unproven information for the benefit of other readers. If you are going to make bold claims like buying the smart controller is equitable to playing "Russian roulette", the burden of proof is on you to back that up. There is no objective evidence of that you have shown whatsoever, and pointing to anonymous forum posts that have already shown a high instance of user error is not objective evidence. You have so far also refused to acknowledge all similar evidence to the contrary, presumably because it doesn't support your opinion.

You did call all of us happy SC owners irrational, with this verbatim quote: "It’s enough that a rational person would hold off" . Anyone who did not hold off is irrational by your own definition. Now you're backpedaling.

I don't know how many threads I've read now with people with FW issues not using the right version of DJI Assistant (user error).

Mavic 2 forum complaints and threads about problems have not subsided, if anything they are more common now that there are more owners, so I will ask you again - why did you buy one if your reason for not buying the SC is that there are unsubstantiated forum complaints about it? When the issues and complaints did not subside as the months went on, why did you make the decision to buy?

Hi guys

My experience with DJI products is very good
I have Spark, Mavic Air and also Mavic 2Pro
Also I have both Crystal Sky monitor and Smart
Controller
Never got any problems except Spark witch
Was failed after firmware update
But I send it to DJI and they fix it under warranty
Regarding these forums I believe it is for shearing our experience and not for complaining
I am personally go to these forums if I need some help with operation of my equipment
Or share my experience with some one
But if you have some problems you may ask help here but not complaining
Also you can contact DJI for repair
There is 1 year warranty for all DJI products
About complaints
DJI makes millions of drones and of cause
There may be some defects at some units
There is nothing in this world witch is perfect
So again we have warranty for these problems

Thank you all

Reactions: RogerMav and ff22
I just bought this radio and I thought it was a bargain but I have been in RC for 15 years and think $700 for a good radio is "average". The brightness of the screen alone was reason enough for me. **** it is bright! My only complaint so far is DJI really did not think through using a neck strap or lanyard.

Not much **
Small 5.5in 1000nit LCD screen high price point.
Have the 7.8in 2000nit Crystalsky much larger superb screen size with such a brightnes that on the sunniest brightest glary days with sunglasses

I just bought this radio and I thought it was a bargain but I have been in RC for 15 years and think $700 for a good radio is "average". The brightness of the screen alone was reason enough for me. **** it is bright! My only complaint so far is DJI really did not think through using a neck strap or lanyard.

For that price they could have included screws and a lanyard. Yes, their choice might have been generic and not to everyone's liking but it would have been a nice gesture. Additionally, they could have included some kind of sack or bag to protect it. But really, what can you expect as freebies when the darn device costs $650!!!

I've had mine now for a week and it is an EXCELLENT step up from the already really well designed original controller with an iPhone. Just hated that dull display and limited life in cold weather. . . like here in Canada. I have a Crystal Sky 8" on a 3rd party mount and it's been great for over a year . . bright easy to read in any lighting and a battery SWAP capability has been essential . . .but I think the new SMART controller is even better and will be my goto controller. No Setup time . . . nice and solid in my hands . . . more compact and easier to hold than the bigger CrystalSky mount. . remains to be seen how long the battery lasts over a day's shooting . . we shall see. . . VERY impressed!

Reactions: Greenflash
For that price they could have included screws and a lanyard. Yes, their choice might have been generic and not to everyone's liking but it would have been a nice gesture. Additionally, they could have included some kind of sack or bag to protect it. But really, what can you expect as freebies when the darn device costs $650!!!

Hi Guys

DJI is not so fast when we are talking about accessories
I believe Pgytech will release line of accessories for SC shortly

Reactions: RogerMav
I had a Mavic Air and used my iPhone 5s with it; I was always saying to my wife "I can't see the screen!" It really limited how close I could get to objects.

I bought the SC with a M2P and absolutely love both! The SC is so clear, even in bright sunshine, it's solidly built and is so quick and easy to setup and fly.

The only issue I had was that the map would not orientate correctly as I turned. I took a video for DJI Support showing the problem. In the video I turned 90 degrees, but the map orientated about 140 degrees. It is currently with them to fix. At first they emailed back and said they couldn't find any issue. I had to send another video showing how the Go 4 app on my iPhone orientated correctly as I turned the phone, and showing how my SC didn't. They then emailed back and said they're replacing the board in it. So hopefully that gets sorted because I love the controller!

I have very mixed feelings. I got mine early last week and just started setting it up Friday night. I took it out of the box and turned it on. I connected it to my home WiFi and logged it into my DJI account. It told me I needed a firmware update so I attempted it. It downloaded the firmware and then the Smart Controller failed to install it. I tried rebooting the controller and it still failed. I disconnected and reconnected the WiFi and it still failed. I was left to update it using the DJI Assistant Application on my Windows PC.

That failed twice and worked the 3rd time. Both times it failed during the 2nd part (transmission?) of the 3 part update (download, transmitting, then updating). I got it to work on the 3rd attempt and as far as I can tell, what helped, was moving my finger on the smart controller screen every so often to keep it from going screen-off during the update.

After getting the controller all up to date I binded it to my M2P and sure enough it said my M2P needed a firmware update, which also failed. Ugh. I never had a failure with my original controller and iPhone to update the firmware. So I hooked the M2P up to my computer and updated it via the hardwire also, which also worked.

This leaves a very bad taste in my mouth after the fiasco with my DJI Goggles RE (see below if you care). DJI is rushing stuff out too fast IMO.

All that being said, after I got everything up and working I took it out for a first flight yesterday. The screen is very nice. Finally I feel like I might have solved the bright sun problem. It was a somewhat hazy day but still pretty bright and I was able to see the screen very easily. I was really weighing getting this or the ultra Crystal Sky and I think I'm glad I went with the Smart Controller. In addition to the really nice screen, which is the whole reason I got it, I found I really liked how easy it is to get flying. No wires to fiddle with, no having to get the phone setup just right in the controller, none of that crap. Just pull the M2P and Controller out and go. That is NICE.

I general though, I think I am done buying DJI stuff. Its just too much hassle. Rare is the item that just works out of the box as expected.

------------

DJI Goggles story: I have been trying to find a way to fight the sun. When I was upgrading my Phantom 3 Pro to the M2P I saw there was a package deal with the Goggles RE. I have a couple racing quads too so it seemed like a good idea. I could wear the goggles when its was really bright out. I had a horrible time getting the goggles to work with the M2P at first. Turns out that right out of the box they didn't work with the M2P!!! They needed a firmware update. Who sells a package deal of products which don't work with each other until the user updates the firmware? So when attempting to update the firmware over WiFi (as the instructions say to do) it failed multiple times (sound familiar?)

I never had an issues like with with my Phantom 3 Pro so I wasn't even aware of the DJI Assistant app. It turns out I had to use that to get the Goggles updated. That is how I found out about the app. However, when I went out to fly I learned the real kicker: with the goggles, you can't go beyond 600-800 meters out. You lose both video and radio signal. Turn the goggles off and boom, 3+km without so much as the slightest signal loss. Turn the goggles on, can't get past 600 meters. Is that mentioned in DJI's documentation anywhere? Not that I could find. What a waste of money that turned out to be.

I have resisted buying the Smart Controller but the more I hear about it the more I am thinking about getting myself one. The only thing is that it is Android based and I absolutely don’t like using anything Android. That’s exactly why I just sold my crystal sky monitor is because of the Android system.
For now I am going to stick with using my iPad mini 4 and I’ll just have to deal with the cable issue until I finally break down and get the Smart Controller at some point.
I’m an iOS guy from the beginning and that’s another reason I haven’t switched.
It would be cool to see DJI team up with Apple in creating some type of smart controller based on iOS. I don't think it's difficult to do it. Apple and DJI have already a close relationship.

I am still on the fence about this. The smart controller is handy and quick to use. However, I also have a crystalsky ultra. There is a difference in brightness, of course, and on a sunny day that can make the CS the monitor of choice. The additional space on the 7.85 compared to the 5.5 on the smart controller is also a plus in favor of the CS. Either one is a joy to use compared to the ipad monitors I have used in the past.
I have the CSU as well. It's hard to argue with 2000 NITS.

Have you ever mounted the CSU on a tripod? Using a tripod takes the weight of the CSU off you. You can buy a tripod mount adapter from Mavmount for $29. If you try a tripod, buy a 6' cable to run from the controller to the CSU. By doing so, you won't be stuck in front of the screen. Also, be careful with your footing as you could trip a leg of the tripod.

Reactions: Greenflash
I have very mixed feelings. I got mine early last week and just started setting it up Friday night. I took it out of the box and turned it on. I connected it to my home WiFi and logged it into my DJI account. It told me I needed a firmware update so I attempted it. It downloaded the firmware and then the Smart Controller failed to install it. I tried rebooting the controller and it still failed. I disconnected and reconnected the WiFi and it still failed. I was left to update it using the DJI Assistant Application on my Windows PC.

That failed twice and worked the 3rd time. Both times it failed during the 2nd part (transmission?) of the 3 part update (download, transmitting, then updating). I got it to work on the 3rd attempt and as far as I can tell, what helped, was moving my finger on the smart controller screen every so often to keep it from going screen-off during the update.

After getting the controller all up to date I binded it to my M2P and sure enough it said my M2P needed a firmware update, which also failed. Ugh. I never had a failure with my original controller and iPhone to update the firmware. So I hooked the M2P up to my computer and updated it via the hardwire also, which also worked.

This leaves a very bad taste in my mouth after the fiasco with my DJI Goggles RE (see below if you care). DJI is rushing stuff out too fast IMO.

All that being said, after I got everything up and working I took it out for a first flight yesterday. The screen is very nice. Finally I feel like I might have solved the bright sun problem. It was a somewhat hazy day but still pretty bright and I was able to see the screen very easily. I was really weighing getting this or the ultra Crystal Sky and I think I'm glad I went with the Smart Controller. In addition to the really nice screen, which is the whole reason I got it, I found I really liked how easy it is to get flying. No wires to fiddle with, no having to get the phone setup just right in the controller, none of that crap. Just pull the M2P and Controller out and go. That is NICE.

I general though, I think I am done buying DJI stuff. Its just too much hassle. Rare is the item that just works out of the box as expected.

------------

DJI Goggles story: I have been trying to find a way to fight the sun. When I was upgrading my Phantom 3 Pro to the M2P I saw there was a package deal with the Goggles RE. I have a couple racing quads too so it seemed like a good idea. I could wear the goggles when its was really bright out. I had a horrible time getting the goggles to work with the M2P at first. Turns out that right out of the box they didn't work with the M2P!!! They needed a firmware update. Who sells a package deal of products which don't work with each other until the user updates the firmware? So when attempting to update the firmware over WiFi (as the instructions say to do) it failed multiple times (sound familiar?)

I never had an issues like with with my Phantom 3 Pro so I wasn't even aware of the DJI Assistant app. It turns out I had to use that to get the Goggles updated. That is how I found out about the app. However, when I went out to fly I learned the real kicker: with the goggles, you can't go beyond 600-800 meters out. You lose both video and radio signal. Turn the goggles off and boom, 3+km without so much as the slightest signal loss. Turn the goggles on, can't get past 600 meters. Is that mentioned in DJI's documentation anywhere? Not that I could find. What a waste of money that turned out to be.

Hi

I am sorry for your bad experience
But I believe this is the way how DJI is work
They are leaders in drone industry
And they have a lot of good ideas
That why every year they introduced something new and they do not want spending much time for testing their products
And then we become their testers
And that why SC has many problems now
But after next couple updates they will fix most of them
This is the way how it was done before
And they will do same way in the future

Good luck passion to all of us

Reactions: RogerMav and Vlaak
Second set of flights yesterday, and I am truly amazed. Still working out some kinks (ran into the max distance thing, and need to find the settings for the Intelligent flight modes), but overall, thoroughly impressed. I upgraded from an Air, and the stability of the signal on this simply blows away my experiences with the Air and it's controller.

I was flying a Mavic Air with an iPad 2018, then upgraded a few weeks ago to the Smart Controller and M2P. Bundled, the price felt more palatable. While I have only flown with it once, I do like it.

Pros:
  • Screen is super clear
  • Remote feels solid, almost "proper" compared to the Air remote
  • No worry about phone calls, etc (from when I was using my iPhone before the iPad)
  • I'm sure there is a better way to describe it, but it just feels right for the expenditure involved.
Cons:
  • Non-variable antenna angle (my misconception about this was corrected on page 2)
  • No Litchi (though I had never used it with the Air, I have been wanting to try it)
  • RAW files cannot be downloaded to it
  • The process for getting pics/ vids from the Controller to my iPad is kind of kludgy (Go Share needs redone)
  • Should have come with a lanyard and attachment aid (though the ones people are making are interesting)
This is all based on my one flight, so I'm sure both lists will grow. Overall though, no regrets in getting this.

Why no Litchi? Just go to Amazon App Store and buy Litchi for SC.

Why no Litchi? Just go to Amazon App Store and buy Litchi for SC.

Hi

You can install Litchi from Amazon store
With no any problems
But it is not connecting to the drone
May be in the future

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member