DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What can a controller do that an SC cant?

You'll likely get less range out of the SC.

For normal RC on FCC mode transmission power is ~400mW, for the SC it is ~350mW.

For CE mode it is ~100mW and 70mW respectively.

Reactions: Former Member
The SC will not work with DJI's on line simulator

I did not know that!

People are reporting it does work!

I can confirm is does work - tested it on 2 different Win10 (BTW - the recommended OS) in the last couple of days helping a dude with his installation issues. In all actuality i had better experience with the SC than the standard RC.

Straight outta the Specs page:
REMOTE CONTROLLERS SUPPORTED

Mavic SeriesMavic 2 Enterprise
Mavic Air
Mavic 2
DJI Smart Controller

Can you fly if the compass wants to be calibrated? Can the prompt be ignored.

And why does Thunder really think you have to have problems with the SC?!!!!???!?

Oh, did you cache maps in advance or did you have cellular service (with Verizon, I'd be bankrupt!!!)

Yup, you can fly if the compass wants to be calibrated. You can move the drone around in your hand and see that the arrow is responding properly on the map. As soon as you fire up the props the compass message goes away and has no negative effects. For whatever reason, I could not calibrate the compass anywhere in Iceland. Around home in Canada it is a non-issue. I flew almost every single day for almost 3 weeks like this, usually with multiple batteries per day. The SC was a life saver, especially with an impatient GF waiting for me haha.

I am not sure why anyone would think that more than 50% of SC owners have problems, based on information that nobody could possibly have other than DJI. I do understand how small sample sizes or even some negative personal experiences can shape one's opinions though, and that isn't unusual - I suppose we're all guilty of it at times. A statistic like that though would also make it a one-of-a-kind product in the high end consumer electronics world, as perhaps one of the most unreliable devices ever produced. Failure rates of major electronics are usually in the low single digits, and even that is considered very high, depending on the item. Computer hard drives, some of the most unreliable electronic devices I can think of, usually have failure rates under 1%, and really bad ones below 5%. To make a believable argument that the SC is any different, you would need a large sample of objective data that presumably nobody but DJI has access too. DJI's technical support is also garbage, so that could also be a factor. It's also easy to get caught up in the online forum world, without realizing how small of a sample size that is, however since most people will post when they have problems, things can sometimes seem disproportionately bad with all the time we spend on various forums related to our hobbies.

As for map caching, it was not necessary. We rented a pocket WiFi device (basically acts as a WiFi router for your phones/tablets, using a SIM card for the local network), with unlimited data. The 4G network speeds in Iceland are around 100Mbps, faster than many people's home internet. So, I just connected the SC to the pocket WiFi device and I was good to go. Even if I did not have this, I do not fly out of VLOS so I don't really need a map when I can see the terrain. Caching the maps would have been a reasonable solution too though. I love those pocket WiFi's though, I rent them everywhere I go (Japan, Europe, etc.) and they are always the thing I am most grateful to have on the whole trip. They are even better if you travel with a family as you can connect up to 10 devices at once, making the cost per user incredibly low. Cost is $9/day with hassle-free pick up and return.

Reactions: ff22
Yup, you can fly if the compass wants to be calibrated. You can move the drone around in your hand and see that the arrow is responding properly on the map. As soon as you fire up the props the compass message goes away and has no negative effects. For whatever reason, I could not calibrate the compass anywhere in Iceland. Around home in Canada it is a non-issue. I flew almost every single day for almost 3 weeks like this, usually with multiple batteries per day. The SC was a life saver, especially with an impatient GF waiting for me haha.

I am not sure why anyone would think that more than 50% of SC owners have problems, based on information that nobody could possibly have other than DJI. I do understand how small sample sizes or even some negative personal experiences can shape one's opinions though, and that isn't unusual - I suppose we're all guilty of it at times. A statistic like that though would also make it a one-of-a-kind product in the high end consumer electronics world, as perhaps one of the most unreliable devices ever produced. Failure rates of major electronics are usually in the low single digits, and even that is considered very high, depending on the item. Computer hard drives, some of the most unreliable electronic devices I can think of, usually have failure rates under 1%, and really bad ones below 5%. To make a believable argument that the SC is any different, you would need a large sample of objective data that presumably nobody but DJI has access too. DJI's technical support is also garbage, so that could also be a factor. It's also easy to get caught up in the online forum world, without realizing how small of a sample size that is, however since most people will post when they have problems, things can sometimes seem disproportionately bad with all the time we spend on various forums related to our hobbies.

As for map caching, it was not necessary. We rented a pocket WiFi device (basically acts as a WiFi router for your phones/tablets, using a SIM card for the local network), with unlimited data. The 4G network speeds in Iceland are around 100Mbps, faster than many people's home internet. So, I just connected the SC to the pocket WiFi device and I was good to go. Even if I did not have this, I do not fly out of VLOS so I don't really need a map when I can see the terrain. Caching the maps would have been a reasonable solution too though. I love those pocket WiFi's though, I rent them everywhere I go (Japan, Europe, etc.) and they are always the thing I am most grateful to have on the whole trip. They are even better if you travel with a family as you can connect up to 10 devices at once, making the cost per user incredibly low. Cost is $9/day with hassle-free pick up and return.

There are issues with the Smartcontroller. You obviously think that everyone who complains has to prove their point because you claim to have not had any problems. Well, they dont have to prove anything. The fact that they are posting is evidence.

The Smartcontoller is not perfect, thats a fact. If someone has a problem with their Smartcontroller, they are welcome to post their problem or complaint here and not be afraid of being accused of fabricating their story.

Reactions: rc51tofuman

I have now flown to Europe from Seattle twice on Iceland Air but did not layover as I had already been gone three full weeks (cross-country skiing Norway) and hiking the Dolomites. If you plan to post some of the drone footage, I would love to see it.

That wifi device sounds perfect.

Thanks for the answers.

Reactions: CanadaDrone
There are issues with the Smartcontroller. You obviously think that everyone who complains has to prove their point because you claim to have not had any problems. Well, they dont have to prove anything. The fact that they are posting is evidence.

The Smartcontoller is not perfect, thats a fact. If someone has a problem with their Smartcontroller, they are welcome to post their problem or complaint here and not be afraid of being accused of fabricating their story.

I don't think that, and I have said as much several times now, but for whatever reason it's being missed. I think this is where the confusion is. Nobody has ever said, or even so much as implied, that the smart controller has no issues. You keep going there but I have never said anything like that. I have gone out of my way 2 or 3 times now to specifically acknowledge that there will most certainly be legitimate issues with some devices, and some of those will also be user error. Your assertion that the MAJORITY of SC's (which would mean greater than 50%, an unheard of number in consumer electronics) have issues and that I was somehow in a minority without issues is literally the only thing I have ever been discussing.

Also if someone does have issues with the SC (or any other device), it would absolutely be necessary to prove that it's not user error before it can be considered an actual issue with the device. Manufacturers don't make costly assembly line changes or engage in costly recalls based on users not reading the manual or not understanding something (not saying that is necessarily the case here, just in general). That goes for most things. It's just another reason that makes gathering info online to determine reliability highly ambiguous.

Reactions: ff22
I don't think that, and I have said as much several times now, but for whatever reason it's being missed. I think this is where the confusion is. Nobody has ever said, or even so much as implied, that the smart controller has no issues. You keep going there but I have never said anything like that. I have gone out of my way 2 or 3 times now to specifically acknowledge that there will most certainly be legitimate issues with some devices, and some of those will also be user error. Your assertion that the MAJORITY of SC's (which would mean greater than 50%, an unheard of number in consumer electronics) have issues and that I was somehow in a minority without issues is literally the only thing I have ever been discussing.

Also if someone does have issues with the SC (or any other device), it would absolutely be necessary to prove that it's not user error before it can be considered an actual issue with the device. Manufacturers don't make costly assembly line changes or engage in costly recalls based on users not reading the manual or not understanding something (not saying that is necessarily the case here, just in general). That goes for most things. It's just another reason that makes gathering info online to determine reliability highly ambiguous.

Nothing is being missed, sorry. Ok, you dont acknowledge the fact that there are some issues with the Smartcontroller. There are.

What you are implying is that anyone who has an issue, doesnt know what they are doing. Thats just incorrect.

No thing is being missed, sorry. Ok, you dont acknowledge the fact that there are some issues with the Smartcontroller. There are.

I don't even know what to say to you anymore as you clearly aren't reading my posts. I have gone out of my way multiple times to acknowledge that there are issues with some devices and you keep replying telling me otherwise. You are going around telling people that greater than 50% of SC's have issues, which I think is irresponsible with no objective evidence whatsoever to support that claim, hence my replies.

Here are quotes from my previous posts that I feel you have very clearly missed based on your replies:

There will absolutely be a certain percentage of users who have legitimate issues (self induced or otherwise) who seek replacement or take to enthusiast forums to discuss it.

I have never said people didn't have issues, nor did I ever say that it is 100% reliable

Nobody has ever said, or even so much as implied, that the smart controller has no issues

At what point do you interpret any of that as not acknowledging that there are issues with the smart controller? Help me understand.

Like I said before, the only reason we are having this discussion is that you are telling people greater than 50% of SC's have issues which is simply not realistic.

this, this, 1000x this...

Based on your bias you're going to choose whatever metric supports your theory but before anyone and argue on behalf vs against utilizing specific metrics they need to understand the total scope and this site simply doesn't provide that:
  1. # of total SC owners (only DJI can provide this)
  2. # of complaints of issues (there is a plethora of variables that validates this baseline metric, none of us, nor this site can speak on behalf of this in totality without proof to show the criteria behind the metric).
  3. i guess DJI could provide a DOA metric on SC's. again the criteria to support DOA

Nothing is being missed, sorry. Ok, you dont acknowledge the fact that there are some issues with the Smartcontroller. There are.

What you are implying is that anyone who has an issue, doesnt know what they are doing. Thats just incorrect.

i'm willing to bet, from what i've read on this forum, that it is more correct than incorrect. we may have some experienced great pilots (drone or otherwise) here but the lack of technology experience is rather surprising at least from my perspective. i guess it's possible to be a car lover but not even know what a wrench does so my assumption is misplaced but I walked into Droning thinking most involved would have a high technology aptitude and judging from the posts that's not the case. Thus I'm in the camp that all SC issues post is probably user/user environment related and i shouldn't be condemned for that, heck, in most crashes the pilot is always at fault or, that's how i interpret the responses ;).

Reactions: CanadaDrone
this, this, 1000x this...

Based on your bias you're going to choose whatever metric supports your theory but before anyone and argue on behalf vs against utilizing specific metrics they need to understand the total scope and this site simply doesn't provide that:
  1. # of total SC owners (only DJI can provide this)
  2. # of complaints of issues (there is a plethora of variables that validates this baseline metric, none of us, nor this site can speak on behalf of this in totality without proof to show the criteria behind the metric).
  3. i guess DJI could provide a DOA metric on SC's. again the criteria to support DOA

i'm willing to bet, from what i've read on this forum, that it is more correct than incorrect. we may have some experienced great pilots (drone or otherwise) here but the lack of technology experience is rather surprising at least from my perspective. i guess it's possible to be a car lover but not even know what a wrench does so my assumption is misplaced but I walked into Droning thinking most involved would have a high technology aptitude and judging from the posts that's not the case. Thus I'm in the camp that all SC issues post is probably user/user environment related and i shouldn't be condemned for that, heck, in most crashes the pilot is always at fault or, that's how i interpret the responses ;).

Come again? Short version?

I'm in the camp that all SC issues post is probably user/user environment related and i shouldn't be condemned for that, heck, in most crashes the pilot is always at fault or, that's how i interpret the responses ;).

You are saying that owners and operators of DJI equipment are inept because they have problems with their equipment? Really?

There has never been a problem with DJI equipment that was not caused by the owner?

Yeah sorry about that. After I get to the part where you say nobody has problems with a Smartcontroller, I just tune the rest of the chatter out.

Please, quote me and show me where I said that. That's all I am asking. I am not trying to be rude I just literally cannot understand why you are simply trolling at this point. You lose a lot of credibility with that type of behavior.

We're still waiting for your data that shows a greater than 50% failure rate.

This is what I said earlier, which you keep failing to acknowledge when you put words in my mouth:

There will absolutely be a certain percentage of users who have legitimate issues (self induced or otherwise) who seek replacement or take to enthusiast forums to discuss it.

Please, quote me and show me where I said that. That's all I am asking. I am not trying to be rude I just literally cannot understand why you are simply trolling at this point. You lose a lot of credibility with that type of behavior.

This is what I said earlier, which you keep failing to acknowledge when you put words in my mouth:

At this point, I have trouble acknowledging or validating anything you say. Name calling doesnt help your case.

At this point, I have trouble acknowledging or validating anything you say. Name calling doesnt help your case.

Anyway, this isn't going anywhere. I have repeatedly acknowledged some SC's have issues and you keep replying with very odd comments that I have said the complete opposite. The only possible way to interpret that is trolling. I think other people are confused by your replies as well to be honest, they just don't make sense. I say one thing and you somehow read the opposite.

I have shown you numerous quotes showing the opposite if what you are accusing me of. I have respectfully asked you numerous times to quote me saying what you keep accusing me of and you can't, so I don't know what else there is to say.

Anyone else want to chime in? Am I crazy?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair