DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What can happen when you Think you're watching

What you want is a VFR Sectional map for your area. Under 10.00. Available on Amazon or any airport. They will tell you every tower, wire, building and the exact height of it. Plus they make cool wallpaper.

Reactions: ff22
Hi, m chaussettes, I take no offence to your post. If you could help other pilots locate these charts I'm sure it would make our hobby safer. As I stated, I never saw the wires on my 6.4" FPV screen, A: because of the size, and B: due to interference from the High Tension cables washing out my FPV view (the Mavic even went into RTH right after the near collision) So any mapping of these cable locations would make all our flights safer.

Any resources you can provide for Pre Flight Checks can only make our hobby safer.

Cheers, TuT

VFRMAP - Digital Aeronautical Charts

Reactions: ff22 and BrianS
What can happen when you Think you're watching!
I didn't even see this on my Note 9 phone. The screen is just too small. Also, the live feed froze for a moment as I approached the wires, due to the high voltage interference.
I didn't even notice until I watched the video later.

After more reviews of the logs on my phone it seems my Mavic did a RTH after stopping due to signal loss. How on earth did I miss those wires? The Mavic does do a small upward movement as it approaches the wires. I wonder if obstacle avoidance saved my life??
wow!

I have noticed after reviewing videos that it has the "things in the mirror appear closer than they are" thing going on. A friend watched my youtube video and commented about how he thought I was gonna hit the wires, but I was even close to them.

Hi, m chaussettes, I take no offence to your post. If you could help other pilots locate these charts I'm sure it would make our hobby safer. As I stated, I never saw the wires on my 6.4" FPV screen, A: because of the size, and B: due to interference from the High Tension cables washing out my FPV view (the Mavic even went into RTH right after the near collision) So any mapping of these cable locations would make all our flights safer.

Any resources you can provide for Pre Flight Checks can only make our hobby safer.

Cheers, TuT

VFR Sectional Charts for any area of the US is available for about 10.00 at any airport and AMAzon.

I was able to quickly edit your url and put in my approx lat/long and get the Sea-tac image up. THANKS. Sheesh, they don't want us flying over the Bangor Nuclear Sub base!!!! (g)

I searched last night and could not find the maps on Amazon. I tried various search terms but it was last NIGHT!

Reactions: AMann
I was able to quickly edit your url and put in my approx lat/long and get the Sea-tac image up. THANKS. Sheesh, they don't want us flying over the Bangor Nuclear Sub base!!!! (g)

I searched last night and could not find the maps on Amazon. I tried various search terms but it was last NIGHT!

Just put the designation (SEA), or the closet airport, in the search box and it'll bring it up.

Reactions: AMann
I found FAA sectional charts for free in PDF (or TIFF) on the FAA website. Try this link. Caution, the files are big.

VFR Raster Charts

Ken

Hey Ken- check out the link above, its helpful when you are out in the field as the image only loads in high res with what is in your viewing window, plus it has a search tool.

You are right, the FAA downloads are huge- I printed a tabloid sized copy of my area and framed it over my desk, too.

Reactions: m chaussettes
My near miss wasn't as much of a miss:

However, the results were about as good as you could get. Just two broken props and a slight bend to one of the forward landing pegs (which I fixed). It was a valuable lesson learned at pennies on the dollar. I'm more careful now about knowing my flight path and not flying so low on my Litchi missions.

My near miss wasn't as much of a miss:

However, the results were about as good as you could get. Just two broken props and a slight bend to one of the forward landing pegs (which I fixed). It was a valuable lesson learned at pennies on the dollar. I'm more careful now about knowing my flight path and not flying so low on my Litchi missions.

It looked like a pretty even descent for a while...

It looked like a pretty even descent for a while...

I couldn't have been much luckier. I was flying over a riverbed, so I figured I'd find a pile of debris on the huge river rocks. However, with 3 out of 4 props working, and only flying 17 mph, it descended slowly and landed in brush, which broke the fall. I was certain that the Refresh was going to be used, if I could locate it at all.

Hey Ken- check out the link above, its helpful when you are out in the field as the image only loads in high res with what is in your viewing window, plus it has a search tool.

You are right, the FAA downloads are huge- I printed a tabloid sized copy of my area and framed it over my desk, too.

Thanks for this.

Im sorry about that incident! But it made me wonder: I never fly only by looking at the phone/camera (I use it for composing shots), rather I always look directly at the drone to know where I am flying. This is also the only legal way to fly it (direct line of sight). Are there different rules in different countries? If so, that would be nice to know about [emoji4]

I’m not trying to tell you this is your own fault, I’m merely a bit confused as I read about so many ppl flying their drones watching the phone instead of watching the drone. Is this how most ppl fly?

I’m glad it didn’t cause more damage!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dronage
What you want is a VFR Sectional map for your area. Under 10.00. Available on Amazon or any airport. They will tell you every tower, wire, building and the exact height of it. Plus they make cool wallpaper.

Look for an app called Sky Demon deigned for VFR use in light aircraft but you can down load airmaps for just about anywhere. Zooming in will show up Powerlines

There’s a paid and a free (lite) version. As it uses approved aviation maps it also shows all the airfields and airspace surrounding them.

Im sorry about that incident! But it made me wonder: I never fly only by looking at the phone/camera (I use it for composing shots), rather I always look directly at the drone to know where I am flying. This is also the only legal way to fly it (direct line of sight). Are there different rules in different countries? If so, that would be nice to know about [emoji4]

I’m not trying to tell you this is your own fault, I’m merely a bit confused as I read about so many ppl flying their drones watching the phone instead of watching the drone. Is this how most ppl fly?

I’m glad it didn’t cause more damage!
I rarely take my eyes off the screen during flight..I find it utterly disorienting..

Reactions: Niblett
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erhard