DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What destroyed these two Mavic Air batteries? Logs attached.

They have for the most part lived in my Mavic 4-battery smart charging hub. Given the intelligent charge/discharge properties of the Intelligent Flight Batteries, I saw no potential harm in this. Was I mistaken on this? i.e. must the batteries be left out of the charger? I initially tried that when I first got my Mavic, but invariably I wanted to go fly and had uncharged batteries, so I ultimately went with leaving them in the charger.
Jumping on this late, but as someone with a lot of LiPo experience pre-smart batteries, I need to point this out: keeping batteries fully charged for more than a few hours will inevitably shorten the LiPo life

A LiPo charged at 50-75% and stored in a cool place (not freezing, but the cooler the better) has no problems, and can be kept in that state for a very long time. A fully charged LiPo (especially if in warmer environment) is slowly degrading. Smart batteries help somewhat, because after a few days fully charged, they slowly start discharging to a safe voltage. But still spend way too much time fully charged. Say your batteries have 50 cycles each, but have been kept fully charged for a week each time before the smart chip starts discharging, and your batteries are probably at the end of their useful life. Same for batteries that are stored when almost completely discharged

The best way to manage the MA batteries is to fly, land with ~15-20% remaining battery, and quickly charge them to 50-60%, then store them. Recharge them fully only hours before flying. If you do this, you can easily get 150-200 cycles out of them. The batteries are smart, but simply not smart enough. Smart-ish, more than smart

I really think that is negligent of DJI to not provide a charger that can be used for "storage charge". The ideal charger should have 2 settings, fully charge and storage charge. After a flight, you select "storage charge" and let the batteries charge just enough to be stored in the best conditions. Ideally the storage charge function should properly discharge a battery that is charged above the storage voltage level. Obviously DJI sells more batteries this way, so a less charitable way to look at the missing storage charge function is to think that DJI likes it that way

Yes, having the batteries always charged is convenient. But that convenience has a price: short battery life. If you store the batteries around 75% charge, they can be charged rather quickly. If you want the best of both worlds, number your batteries, and keep one fully charged, the rest properly storage-charged. Before you fly the first battery, you can start charging the other, and you should quickly have the second battery ready, too. Rotate the battery you keep always charged, so that you wear-level them

Reactions: dawgpilot
The ideal charger should have 2 settings, fully charge and storage charge.

even 3, 'long storage 60%' and 'stanby storage 75%' which would allow users to select depending of flights planning
as well ideal charger should have adjustment for charging current value or "Fast/Slow" selector, because Fast mode which is currently the only mode of Dji chargers also reduces battery performance

p.s
Good idea for start-ups though)

Last edited:
Reactions: foobar34
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78