DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What do do if you see a helicopter?

In the USA, the FAA requires all sUAS pilots to yield to all manned aircraft. Since sUAS pilots are restricted to 400 feet AGL (with certain exceptions) and since an sUAS is so small in size compared to a manned AC (which includes balloons) it does make sense the sUAS pilot should be able (though not always) to spot a low flying manned AC and yield. Therefore, you, the sUAS pilot need to be more aware of the environment and ready to yield without notice. This is NOT to say manned AC pilots have no equal responsibility, they do. i.e., a glider must yield to motorized must yield to jet. All pilots share responsibility for safe flying at all times! This is one reason there are differing altitudes assigned to differing class of AC and pilots (such as VFR and IFR ratings). Please remember the manned AC pilot reaction time may be the same as your’s, but his/her reaction distance is significantly shorter than your distance due primarily to speed variations. Do not take this to mean that you must have eyes in the back of your head to see everywhere at the same time. All pilots share responsibility in the sky! I live within 5 miles of KCOS (Colorado Springs Munciple Airport, CO, and therefore I am required to notify both Airport Ops and FAA tower prior to flight.

(Side Note: even though I possess a Part 107 license I do fly commercial and recreationally. I studied and tested primarily that I may improve my knowledge of the FAA rules, that I may fly within the law and do it safely. Because I fly mostly recreationally, I am still bound to be as knowledgeable as my feable little mind permits.)

I give them my location as best I can as 8 digit GC. Small AC are given a courtesy heads up by the tower of my general location, therefore allowing the manned AC pilot to share responsibility. Once in a while I give a wave and receive a tip of the wing in return. It’s nice to be able to acknowledge each other and share the sky in almost the same space.

Hope this helps to clarify just a little

May you always have safe and enjoyable flights (and enough battery power to RTH.)

R
Jeffrey

Reactions: GreatScott
I check with flightradar app before each taking off, this is a good help to not income in unwanted interference..but when this is not enough mavic is fast at loosing height when you hear the helicopter, in this way you should be safe..
FlightRadar is a great app but please be aware that small general aviation aircraft generally will never show up on it.

You can be sure that one day there will be a feature, perhaps in every drone, that acts like obstacle avoidance, but radio guided, that will force the drone to go opposite to any other large aircraft in the area. That would be a good think, a nice protection for both aircraft.

Hello All,
Long time lurker here , have learned a lot from you guys over the past months! This Helicopter discussion made me finally officially join in the ranks of Mavic Pilots. This video is raw and sorry no music.

Hello All,
Long time lurker here , have learned a lot from you guys over the past months! This Helicopter discussion made me finally officially join in the ranks of Mavic Pilots. This video is raw and sorry no music.
How high were you flying? That thing came in like a rocket

Most helicopters have a top speed of about 100 mph. Looks like he was pushing Vmax on that one.

If one is flying in an area where it’s common to encounter low flying aircraft, you may consider employing a “Spotter” to keep an eye out for unexpected visitors.

I'm not nor have I ever been a pilot of an aircraft but I would guess that lowering altitude would be the best move to make since you can't outrun or outmaneuver a large aircraft.

I'm not nor have I ever been a pilot of an aircraft but I would guess that lowering altitude would be the best move to make since you can't outrun or outmaneuver a large aircraft.

Not necessarily. If you’re operating at 400 ft, and he’s at 200 ft, it probably best to just move away from his path of flight. Just put ‘er in Sport Mode and Firewall that Ball.

When all else fails, drop altitude at opposing rights (your right- his right).

As far as the heli beach flying at 50AGL, if an N number is obtainable, a phone call to the local FAA might be in order. If he was in the wrong, you potentially saved others’ lives in the future. If permissible, find a new beach area cause that one is too **** dangerous. Too many people drone recreationally from the beach and even some sport fishing persons use drones to set line out in the water. If the heli pilot buzzes the beach at 50 or <50 AGL, most likely looking for extra tip for increased heart rate from tourist on board! No matter what, always be aware of your intended flight environment and be safe. Just remember, even if the heli was at 50AGL and hit your drone, crash or no crash, the news story would be the drone hit the heli NOT heli hit the drone! News feeds are great at making fake news stories, don’t be their fodder

Be safe and keep spare batteries handy

R
Jeffrey

Not necessarily. If you’re operating at 400 ft, and he’s at 200 ft, it probably best to just move away from his path of flight. Just put ‘er in Sport Mode and Firewall that Ball.
I can see how precarious this could be. Say you see him coming toward you and you move off at 90 degrees but suddenly he turns that direction and he is going FAST. Risky.

I can see how precarious this could be. Say you see him coming toward you and you move off at 90 degrees but suddenly he turns that direction and he is going FAST. Risky.
I would recommend dropping altitude to the right. Both pilots should learn to lean right on the stick to avoid possible collision (Kinda sorta an answer to a part 107 question. Another answer is simply to yield to all manned AC). This requirement by the FAA succeeds in placing the sUAS pilot at the bottom of the totem-pole. If a collision is unavoidable, revert back to your BSA days, you may need it. Don’t panic and keep a smart head.

R
Jeffrey

I think it’s better to just land and pack up. Don’t assume the helicopter pilot know you’ve ‘yielded’ and just flying low. He could assume you are still flying around and haven’t noticed him.
For emergency services, as soon as they are aware of a drone nearby, they’d abort their mission and wait for an all clear. They are trying to focus on flying the helicopter, not keeping an eye on a drone to make sure it doesn’t go up to its flight path.

I think it’s better to just land and pack up. Don’t assume the helicopter pilot know you’ve ‘yielded’ and just flying low. He could assume you are still flying around and haven’t noticed him.
For emergency services, as soon as they are aware of a drone nearby, they’d abort their mission and wait for an all clear. They are trying to focus on flying the helicopter, not keeping an eye on a drone to make sure it doesn’t go up to its flight path.
Great advice as well, too many times droners and other lookylous create more of a hazard to first responders to emergencies

R
Jeffrey

Its all about perception , if people think you're being a problem then that's what's perceived. Even if you are doing everything right, doesn't matter. You could become the example of whats being seen as bad drone behaviour.

Not a helicopter, but if you're flying unsafely around manned aircraft, this should make you think a bit more if you do.

You think that’s bad that it fooled you?

The news here in canada aired that as an example of a real collision!! With trained researchers they made this mistake. There is lots wrong with how the damage is happens and that’s. It how a real wing is out together. But this guys special effects are very good. A credit to him for sure.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka