DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What do you Guys make of this

I'm sure that's true, that it will be fixed on way or the other, but as a once and future geek, I'll still be curious to know what the cause was.

;-)

TCS
Yep agree... although that's out of our control especially with an non-USA Company seperate from US Courts.

We'll speculate problem and scream for corrections... til new model gets attention. Personally, I purchased the M3 Cine with casual expectations problems would be resolved. Looking back, probably would have been better to wait a few months. But as in an old Country Music Song... "I got her... and that makes me the Winner???!".

Last edited:
Reactions: Chaosrider
Few models back... Note 7
Note battery failures, fires and eventually a recall that received Telco companies participating by killing the connection of the Note if Owners didn't send back in for partial refund or trade-in allowance.

Mine worked flawless, loved it.. but eventually had to surrender... moved so S model until new Note arrived.

Point was, even that level of failure... Samsung continued strong and many not even aware of a serious problem.

Little history:
Thanks for the link! I was one of those people not aware of this problem. I've had Samsung phones for many years, and I've loved them.

And I agree with your general point, that the current M3 issues...however prevalent they may be...will become Mystic Mavic Ghost Stories a year after the problem has been definitively fixed, one way or the other.

I'm currently personally embroiled in the Mini-2 Failure To Climb Mystery.

And yet, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a DJI FPV today if I had the money casually lying around, and I'll probably get one of the Mythical Mini-3s as soon as they come out, if they ever do come out...

;-)

Thx!

TCS

Thanks for the link! I was one of those people not aware of this problem. I've had Samsung phones for many years, and I've loved them.

And I agree with your general point, that the current M3 issues...however prevalent they may be...will become Mystic Mavic Ghost Stories a year after the problem has been definitively fixed, one way or the other.

I'm currently personally embroiled in the Mini-2 Failure To Climb Mystery.

And yet, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a DJI FPV today if I had the money casually lying around, and I'll probably get one of the Mythical Mini-3s as soon as they come out, if they ever do come out...

;-)

Thx!

TCS
Yep, sounds like the drone bug has biten you as Others.
Some for play, work and learning... what ever the justification new models are attractive.

If ya get there... a DJI FPV kit is an absolute blast. I'm not a FPV Flyer... getting better thanks to the DJI FPV. Wouldn't have taken the time to patiently learn on normal FPV crafts... DJI FPV provided that experience to many!

Personally, I'm anxious to see the Inspire 3 and associated payloads and Associated Apps.

Yep, sounds like the drone bug has biten you as Others.
Some for play, work and learning... what ever the justification new models are attractive.

If ya get there... a DJI FPV kit is an absolute blast. I'm not a FPV Flyer... getting better thanks to the DJI FPV. Wouldn't have taken the time to patiently learn on normal FPV crafts... DJI FPV provided that experience to many!

Personally, I'm anxious to see the Inspire 3 and associated payloads and Associated Apps.
Yeah, I'm definitely terminally drone-bit.

But to be able to fully pursue my obsession, I need to find a way to get the Money Fairy to byte me too...

;-)

TCS

• Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Just an observation I want to make on this for the newer guys around. DJI have a long history of botched releases and unfixed bugs. In the last 2 years their consumer models have been much better but look below the surface and things have not really changed that much. There are bugs on models like the I2, M200 and many many others that were never resolved. M300 has its own issues and it It took 2 years for DJI to release a fix for the TB50 battery compatibly issue on the I2/M200 when swapping between the craft. The I2 gimbal rotation bug fix as part of that release was beta tested well over a year before it actually was released yet sat on the shelf. The Z3 never really worked properly, the I2 and I1 has been crippled by later firmware reducing power output. P3 gets bricked by firmware updates with the 08,15 FPGA issue. On the FPV side there was the reboot issue that was bricking users went on for months till I put a video out saying don’t buy, there are 4 or 5 remaining silly issues like slow SD card error on the FPV that remain unresolved. People have been screaming for canvas mode for well over a year yet they won’t even respond.

DJI having issues and taking months or even years to resolve if ever at all is not unusual, in fact it’s the norm. And as for getting them to even admit something is an issue we’ll that’s also close to impossible. Just read their release notes, you will often see “fixed rare issue” ect. They play every thing down to close to nothing. M200s were falling from the sky for months yet they said nothing till the U.K. CAA grounded them.

Let’s be clear It is not good enough and not acceptable and DJI need to do better but the beast is what the beast is, it’s nether new or out of character, in the passed we had dedicated support reps like Ken and Ed who used to deal directly with engineering. They are gone now and ways in are far more difficult.

DJI is what it is, it remains one of the most innovative and interesting companies but they don’t always deliver users are often left with products that could have been so much more.

Again this is why I always say vote with your wallet as that’s the only thing that they will really take notice off. A few tens of forum users unhappy won’t even raise an eyebrow.

Ian, I hope you are well buddy. Long time no been around the forums so much now. 20K+ posts on RCG is enough for a lifetime lol.
These are great points. My hope is that there will be increased competition from new and existing competitors that will force DJI to wake up to the fact that they can't just rest on their laurels because they are in the number one spot. Competition spurs innovation and makes customer service more and more important to the success of a company. Even though DJI is big, they ae not too big to fail.

Reactions: E.151 and Suren
Im a little confused. I thought they just released a firmware update that Suren said worked...to fix this gps issue? Did it not work after all?

I literally have not been able to fly my m3 for well over a month. Its either too cold, or too windy. Usually its the wind lately here in Eastern canada.

Should i allow the newest firmware update next in tuen it on?

Im a little confused. I thought they just released a firmware update that Suren said worked...to fix this gps issue? Did it not work after all?

I literally have not been able to fly my m3 for well over a month. Its either too cold, or too windy. Usually its the wind lately here in Eastern canada.

Yep, should go ahead and accept the recent FW update.
It did address the GPS issue, but after several evaluated it was shown it wasn't a full correction, more reduction.

So in brief, GPS issue not fully resolved... still pending.
For some, it's close to expectations, others not much change.

It has fixed the GPS issues for some including me but not everyone.

Yep, should go ahead and accept the recent FW update.
It did address the GPS issue, but after several evaluated it was shown it wasn't a full correction, more reduction.

So in brief, GPS issue not fully resolved... still pending.
For some, it's close to expectations, others not much change.
Unfortunately if it doesn't address the problem on your particular drone (and it doesn't on allot of them) and it causes other issues (look them up) there's no going back because dji decided to lock the ability to downgrade to a more usable firmware. So it's a crap shoot and your stuck with your decision.

Unfortunately if it doesn't address the problem on your particular drone (and it doesn't on allot of them) and it causes other issues (look them up) there's no going back because dji decided to lock the ability to downgrade to a more usable firmware. So it's a crap shoot and your stuck with your decision.
Not true, you can still downgrade using Dji Assistant 2 all the way back to the 0400 FW. I do it regularly. Dji has not locked it YET.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
On the recent 0600 FW… besides the GPS not hitting mark for everyone. I also understand it improved X7 telephoto too.

What bugs were introduced, I read several reviews and some of these threads.

Sounds like poor regression testing to me.

Regression testing is a dying art. A lot of people writing SW now don't even know what it means.

Regression testing is what you do after you make changes to a SW system, to make sure you didn't unintentionally break something that worked before, which you assumed was unrelated to the changes that you made.

As SW gets larger, more complicated, and more internally integrated, testing in general and regression testing in particular has become much harder.

I suspect there was an "Oh Sugar!" moment at DJI when they realized that in their attempt to fix thing X in the firmware, they unintentionally busted thing Y.

If that's true, it means that there are linkages within the SW that they hadn't previously understood. Frustrating though it is for users, it's better to actually figure out how that happened, than to just throw possible fixes at it. They could try to roll back to the previous version, but that has its own complications.

Not to mention that the whole system has to integrate with a bazillion different phone types, which will have their own update schedules, any one of which might have the potential to break the DJI--Phone interface.

I got my first programming job in 1974, writing output subroutines for what was, at the time, the biggest computer in the world, the CDC 7700. Military, of course. I think it was running a staggering 500,000 lines of code...

;-)

When I was Director of IT for the Nevada state government 30 years later, in 2004, I coined the smartbutt phrase:

"Interfaces = Death"

When the Governor asked me at one point what the biggest IT problems would be in the next 5 years, I said without missing a beat:

"Interfaces and integrations"

Nothing since then has suggested to me that I should modify either of those pronouncements!

;-)

Has anyone thought to correlate the GPS lock failures, with the type of phone being used?

Just a thought...

TCS
How did I miss this post? :)

I've been a hardware engineer & architect for going on 40 years. The SW people that I worked with back in the day could make our 8 bit 16 MHz CPUs dependably do all sorts of useful stuff. (sans a GUI)

Though I've come (like most of us) to be become dependent on GUIs and "high level" programming tools.

I also remember what the joke was, that a GUI Interface = WIMP (Windows-Icons-Menus-Pointers)

"Regression testing is a dying art. A lot of people writing SW now don't even know what it means." (Amen)

The issues that I have seen with the SW updates to my A2, just since January have all the earmarks of bad regression testing. (or ignoring the results of such testing). If you are supporting different silicon due to, for example, Supply Chain issues, that adds additional layers...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905