DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What do you love about drone flying, what makes it a hobby for you?

Rizzle

Reactions
Would like to know what makes it a hobby for some people. What do you enjoy doing with your drone etc

Never ceases to amaze me ,when just going up a few hundred feet ,even where i live the things you see that you never knew were there,and you have lived there for years!Also it is very therapeutic,and is the first thing i will do if i am stressed,or at least thats my excuse for always flying....;);):)

Never ceases to amaze me ,when just going up a few hundred feet ,even where i live the things you see that you never knew were there,and you have lived there for years!Also it is very therapeutic,and is the first thing i will do if i am stressed,or at least thats my excuse for always flying....;);):)

Love that [emoji1373]

Reactions: kyle mavic
Definitely like the new perspective you get from a birds eye view. It is fun to capture photos and videos that would have otherwise been unavailable.

Precision,
When I shoot my bow I shoot for 20 oz bottle caps at 40 yards
When I shoot my guns I'm shooting for 1 inch groups,
When I fly I like to challenge myself flying under tree branches and through tight spaces.
I don't fly fast but I fly tight

Reactions: Dur8an Poison
Just the idea that I can see things from high above ground level from where I am standing, and get a different view.

I'm an "older" kid- looking at 70 this year. Long ago, I remember my grandparents talking about thinking and staying young (they all lived into their 80s and 90s). They said think young, stay active, and keep learning. My Mavic Pro keeps me active and young-thinking. And it has been an incredible catalyst for learning. I'm practicing flying learning to fly better, smoother, and more confidently. I'm learning multiple software programs- DJI Go, Litchi, and basic video editing software. I'm learning to solve problems- and there is no lack challenges since flying Mavic since May 2018. Disconnects, occasions of dropping into ATTI-mode, a couple of occasions of TBE (toilet-bowl effect), signal loss- all interesting situations that prompted me to dig in and find out my own pilot error and DJI idiosyncrasies. I've had to re-learn basic photography skills. I'm having fun, thinking young, and in the middle of study for my Part 107- not because of the money possibility, but just to stay young by learning. Not to mention that I've always enjoyed helping others, and I've recently engaged with a number of other "flyers" on this forum helping them navigate some of the same "troubled waters" that I've been through.

Good question, I was just thinking about this this morning actually. I'm not a photographer of any sort, so I fly for fun. As others have said, it's exhilarating and unique. Owning a drone makes me want to travel and get outdoors more, and record all of those experiences from an aerial perspective.

Reactions: Rizzle
I'm an "older" kid- looking at 70 this year. Long ago, I remember my grandparents talking about thinking and staying young (they all lived into their 80s and 90s). They said think young, stay active, and keep learning. My Mavic Pro keeps me active and young-thinking. And it has been an incredible catalyst for learning. I'm practicing flying learning to fly better, smoother, and more confidently. I'm learning multiple software programs- DJI Go, Litchi, and basic video editing software. I'm learning to solve problems- and there is no lack challenges since flying Mavic since May 2018. Disconnects, occasions of dropping into ATTI-mode, a couple of occasions of TBE (toilet-bowl effect), signal loss- all interesting situations that prompted me to dig in and find out my own pilot error and DJI idiosyncrasies. I've had to re-learn basic photography skills. I'm having fun, thinking young, and in the middle of study for my Part 107- not because of the money possibility, but just to stay young by learning. Not to mention that I've always enjoyed helping others, and I've recently engaged with a number of other "flyers" on this forum helping them navigate some of the same "troubled waters" that I've been through.
I love your write up!....

Reactions: BrucenYvette
For me it's about the perspective my MP camera can give me while shooting still photography. Video is cool and I always take advantage of catching some scenic video going to and from my photographic target but I'm mainly after stills.

Ive always like the view from above. My dad was pilot so I grew up with airplanes. Never had the time or money when I was younger to get my private license, but my daghter and I spent a number of years skydiving. Now that I could afford to fly, I have too many other hobbies that consume a lot of my time and money. FPV drones have filled the gap, and while its not same, its close enough to flying to satisfy the itch.

I've been flying UAV's for about four years, using a P3A for the last three, clocking up over 550 flights and, luckily, without a single incident too. I've been a member over on Phantompilots since I bought the 3A and have taking some amazing photos during that time.
What I love is the amazing distance one can achieve with the ability to see where one is - just over three miles is the greatest I've got, just once to test it - the incredible perspectives and the visual vastness that one can not quite believe. I've joined Mavicpilots in advance of buying a M2P next month for my 60th for a few reasons. Firstly, I've got tired of transporting the 3A in an enormous backpack which takes-up valuable aircraft, train and boot (trunk) space, thus reducing the amount of "stuff" SWMBO can take aboard.... a major selling point! Secondly, the improvement in the optics. I'm really excited to getting the M2P. I'm into photography, hence the Pro being my choice. And finally, the additional few minutes of flight and the additional safety features the M2P has over the 3A.
So I'm here to learn from those with experience of the platform and to enjoy the flying... just hope the iPad Air manages to run GO4 as well as it does running GO!

I like the challenge .!
That and the RTH feature is a beautiful thing in itself..

....cR

Last edited:
What little kid doesn't want to fly. I remember jumping off my house roof onto the lawn growing up wearing a red towel like a Superman Cape.... Remember watching the birds here in Africa both at home and out in the wild.... then a bit older (primary school) remember thinking if i had a radio controlled helicopter (in those days cutting edge tech as was only really fixed wing RC around) i could attach a "big" bag and fly myself to school... beats walking....!! Took up photography in Senior Primary School and enjoyed it... and honestly wasn't half bad.... then life happens and we all carry on.... 12 years ago i completed my Scuba licenses ... after all that's just flying underwater and exploring... so the dreams continued... with a waterproof camera housing.....! Technology moves progresses and the gift of a basic "Toy" Drone sparked the aerial flying again.... Life is way to fast and forgettable. So do something that you have passion for and if it captures extra memories that you can share with others and relive then even better!

Reactions: Numone
I love taking pictures and seeing things from a different perspective, I also think it is fun to fly the drone and it feels satisfying to fly.

for me as a retired person it has opened up a whole new perspective on the way i view my surroundings ,plus it gets me out and about, and keeps me mobile, and there is something special about controlling a flying object up in the sky. and best of all i enjoy watching my videos of those flights back at home its like looking at old photos in a album only better

I remember as an AMA member and RC flier "drones" for hobby was just getting off the ground mostly it was planes with cameras and some form of waypoints system. You couldn't even fly them on an AMA field it amazed me then. Then great planes came out with a trainer with auto recovery using tech and programming gleaned from "drone"hobby and AMA thought it was the next best thing since breadNbutter and I thought what hypocrisy is this.
Back in the day HAM radio users always got funny looks and shakes of the head when people would see these huge towers in the back yard or their cars loaded down with all these antanaas..... Didn't help public opinion when someones toaster oven would start talking (back then people prefered not to have the kitchen ware speaking out of the blue) Until a tornado hit and all phone lines was down. Then having a HAM operator drive up to your door and tell you a family member was Okay and safe was an eye opener that made it okay for your toaster to spout off occasionally or your TV to fuzz off. (Though my mom swore if the **** thing ever actually answered her she was going to run over it) (yes it really did happen Wichita Falls TX. )
When a 2 pound UAV can be used to perform many of the same operations as an plane safer, quieter, and cheaper I think it's pretty cool
I've always been a tech geek and love being on the leading edge. And I never know when maybe my hobby might help someone out

Yeah, the British Model Flying Association is very snotty about SUAV's and many small private model flying clubs ban them from flying at their sites. Pathetic really...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obanat