DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What do you use for a monitor?

Billr58

Reactions
I want a bigger monitor than my phone, not super large. Found this at Walmart, think it would work?
Bill20181001_103440.jpeg20181001_103443.jpeg

Too cheap in my opinion - the hardware is very poor and the screen is only 720P (the M2P sends a 1080P signal). It's also not listed on DJI's recommended list for devices, but that isn't written in stone. I'd be very surprised if the DJI app ran smoothly on that. Also of that 1GB RAM, most of that will be used by the system and unavailable to the DJI app.

A Lenovo Tab 4 8" Plus is probably the best bang for the buck tablet. DJI claims it will work with the non-plus version but personally I wouldn't go that low.

Some people report the Amazon Fire tablets working OK, but I'd personally want something better.

My Amazon tablet was very buggy and Had lots of lag. I ended up buying a dedicated iPad 9.7 inch 2018 model and it seems to be working very well. It was $400 but I’d hate to lose my drone because I thought it was somewhere I wasn’t

Hello Billr58,
I bought one of those for my Spark and it worked great when it was dusk but if it was sunny at all it was not nearly bright enough, even if I was in the shade. Ultimatly I just ended up using my phone, it still bothers me that I wasted my money.
When I picked up my Air I just sucked it up and got the iPad mini. I'm not really a fan of Apple but the size is great, Apple stuff seems to work better with DJI and being able to see all the detail has really improved my filming even on the older Spark.
I also picked up one of those tablet holders that mount in the RC arms and I love it.
I'd say search around for a good deal on a Mini, strip everything you don't really need off of it and use it just for your Drone related needs. Ultimatly the monitor upgrade I did was totally worth it.

Reactions: Billr58
The price difference between a crappy tablet and a good tablet is so small, this is not an area I would try to save a few bucks. Just my opinion.

You don't need a brand new iPad - just something decent and there are plenty of options for $200-300 if you don't like your phone.

I want a bigger monitor than my phone, not super large. Found this at Walmart, think it would work?
BillView attachment 48472View attachment 48473
I am using an old (around 4 years) nexus tablet. Just and I mean just fits into the holder without any accessories and works flawlessly. I got mine 2nd hand for 80€ 4 years ago so should be qble to pick them up for next to nothing now.

Only issue I have found is the flight simulator crashes and wont start.

Ipad Mini 2 with Cellular here 16 Gig memory. It has been flawless and there are a bunch used on Craigslist. Fits into the remote controller using a compression fit. Nice size. Screen brightness is certainly not daytime viewable in direct overhead sunlight though. Gotta pop for a 600 Dollar Crystal Sky monitor for true daytime view ability or walk around with a black sheet.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
Samsung galaxy tab S2 here on my Mavic 1 and on Spark latest DJI GO4 app no issues . But most of the time I use use Huawei Ascend xt2 .

Hello Billr58,
I bought one of those for my Spark and it worked great when it was dusk but if it was sunny at all it was not nearly bright enough, even if I was in the shade. Ultimatly I just ended up using my phone, it still bothers me that I wasted my money.
When I picked up my Air I just sucked it up and got the iPad mini. I'm not really a fan of Apple but the size is great, Apple stuff seems to work better with DJI and being able to see all the detail has really improved my filming even on the older Spark.
I also picked up one of those tablet holders that mount in the RC arms and I love it.
I'd say search around for a good deal on a Mini, strip everything you don't really need off of it and use it just for your Drone related needs. Ultimatly the monitor upgrade I did was totally worth it.
Just ordered a iPad mini 4 off Amazon for $350... don't tell my wife.....lol

Ipad Mini 2 with Cellular here 16 Gig memory. It has been flawless and there are a bunch used on Craigslist. Fits into the remote controller using a compression fit. Nice size. Screen brightness is certainly not daytime viewable in direct overhead sunlight though. Gotta pop for a 600 Dollar Crystal Sky monitor for true daytime view ability or walk around with a black sheet.

I was using an iPad Mini 2 with my Air and kept getting the CPU warning in Go4. Never had a real issue except couldn't see the display in the SoCal sun. A friend had the CrystalSky (7.8 High Brightness) and after comparing them, I had to have one. Fortunately I got a good used deal here in the Classifieds and would never go back.

I know its a lot of money, and frankly not the greatest tablet otherwise, but the display is killer and the swappable batteries have become a real plus now that I am flying both the Mavic Air and Mavic 2 Pro.

If I was shopping for an iPad Mini I would definitely try to stretch for the iPad Mini 4. The Mini 2 works, but definitely feels like its struggling at times and the display is impossible to see in the sun.

Hello Billr58,

You didn't waste your money if you have a cellular service on it, I have loaded an old tablet with B4UFLY, UA Forecast, Air Space and Flight Radar 24, to show the Police and others interrupting my flying. Wipe out the tablet and show that you are allowed to fly right were you are standing. They usually are impressed the B4UFLY (worst app loaded) because it has a nice FAA Shield on it.

OP: No, that will be way too slow to run DJI GO 4 for the M2P. The M2P also has a 1080P video feed and that screen is essentially 720P. Spend a little bit more and get a "real" tablet. Heck, you can often buy a 2018 iPad 9.7" for about $250 and have a great 'everyday' tablet out of the deal too.

Personally I am going to wait for this:

DJI Mavic 2 Remote Controller with built-in display at CES 2019 - DroneDJ

Should be announced at CES. As long as it has removable joysticks I am sold.

Do not purchase a mini 2. In fact I won’t recommend that device at all with the new go app. That device will run DJI GO but it is at the limits of the processor doing so.. when the summer comes it will be virtually unusable. Heat makes the device throttle performance which will make your video lag enough to be a significant problem. In fact, the device will be pretty much useless after it gets warm.

Do not purchase a mini 2. In fact I won’t recommend that device at all with the new go app. That device will run DJI GO but it is at the limits of the processor doing so.. when the summer comes it will be virtually unusable. Heat makes the device throttle performance which will make your video lag enough to be a significant problem. In fact, the device will be pretty much useless after it gets warm.
Couldn’t agree more. I tried using a Mini 2 for a short while but constantly got CPU warnings and it was horrible in the sun.

Switched to CrystalSky and haven’t looked back. Now my Mini 2 is basically a mobile hotspot for my CS (especially with the new GEO) and runs utility apps like weather, AirMap, etc in the field.

I do wonder how the mini 2 works using Litchi. I really haven't tested it. That may be a temporary work around.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliesunique