DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What drone(s) do you own?

DCDronePilot

Reactions
1.) What drone(s) do you own?

2.) Would you buy it/them again?

3.) Are you planning to purchase another drone in the next year? If so, which drone(s) is/are on your buy list?

4.) What problems, if any have had with your drone(s)?

5.) What features would you like to see on the the next drone that you purchase?

Reactions: Ldcfla
I'm guessing when you say "drone(s)" you are only asking about AP drones otherwise this could get long as I've got a bunch of FPV drones too...

1) DJI Mavic Pro, DJI Mavic Air, DJI Spark, DJI Phantom 4

2)
  • Mavic Pro - Yes
  • Mavic Air - No; Only because it pretty redundant for MY needs...
  • Spark - Yes
  • Phantom 4 - Yes
3) Maybe - When Yuneec releases the Typhoon H Plus

4) I've only had one issue with these drones, it was the MA. On its maiden flight I suddenly lost all contact with the drone, image and control. It did what it was supposed to though, RTH. The distance wasn't even as far as I've sent my Spark. So now I'm a bit cautious flying this drone.

5) What I want in my next drone is the same thing I've wanted since the first day I got into AP drones. But I feel its still a few years off. A drone that I can launch, follow me on my motorcycle either riding on the race track or on a mountain road, be able to go fast enough to keep up, and avoid obstacles.

3.) Are you planning to purchase another drone in the next year? If so, which drone(s) is/are on your buy list?

5.) What features would you like to see on the the next drone that you purchase?

Reactions: DCDronePilot
I'm guessing when you say "drone(s)" you are only asking about AP drones otherwise this could get long as I've got a bunch of FPV drones too...

1) DJI Mavic Pro, DJI Mavic Air, DJI Spark, DJI Phantom 4

2)
  • Mavic Pro - Yes
  • Mavic Air - No; Only because it pretty redundant for MY needs...
  • Spark - Yes
  • Phantom 4 - Yes
3) Maybe - When Yuneec releases the Typhoon H Plus

4) I've only had one issue with these drones, it was the MA. On its maiden flight I suddenly lost all contact with the drone, image and control. It did what it was supposed to though, RTH. The distance wasn't even as far as I've sent my Spark. So now I'm a bit cautious flying this drone.

5) What I want in my next drone is the same thing I've wanted since the first day I got into AP drones. But I feel its still a few years off. A drone that I can launch, follow me on my motorcycle either riding on the race track or on a mountain road, be able to go fast enough to keep up, and avoid obstacles.

What do you think was the cause of the MA malfunction?

That would be a pretty sweet drone if and when they can reach those speeds.

1, 2, 4)
Mavic Pro:

Would buy again? Yes
Problems: User error. I went for a helix shot and underestimated the distance.

Parrot Orak:
Would buy again? Yes but only if it was the same discounted price of AUD$59. It's nice for indoors and nice for a pool.
Problems: It doesn't handle wind well. As a hydrofoil, I don't think it could handle outdoor water. In the air, it went into a tree once.

Star Wars Propel Battle Drones (TIE Advanced x1 and Speederbike):
Would buy again? I don't know - I only bought these last night because JB HiFi was selling them at AUD$96 each. First impressions are the construction is terrible with battery removal being particularly awful and they really need a second battery. I really like the training SmartPhone app..

3 & 5) Unsure. I was interested in the Tello. However, I have read a review that it is not very good outdoors. I would like to see a drone that is designed for outdoor use, has a good camera and is under 100 grams. In Australia, drones that weigh less than 100 grams are except from many regulations.

Last edited:
What I believe was the malfunction with the MA was it was slow to "realize" it needed additional upgrades. I'm not new to drones and I also have many other DJI drones. So I know what I'm doing. Before I flew, I did all the requested upgrades including the geofencing updates. I power-cycled everything in between all those upgrades. I did the upgrades strictly via my Smart Device and not DJI Assistant. I'd upgrade every time it told me to until it didn't. At that point, after a power cycle of everything I took it outside where I launch all my drones from my house and flew.

After all the disconnects and it came home via auto-RTH and I regained signal, it now said it needed a CC and it was not flying in the correct region (something like that) and to upgrade. Powered it off and brought inside and this time used DJI Assistant. Sure enough there was still another upgrade. After doing that again, I power-cycled it and took it outside. This time I let it sit for many minutes to ensure there were no further messages. There weren't. I flew it in the usual "test loop" I have in my neighborhood. What I noticed is I get video lag at short distances that I don't get with my Spark. Meaning my Wifi Spark seems to be able to fly further with a stronger signal. Of course that day I flew my MA there could have been other "environment" variables that were stronger or had more affect that day. But I'm a bit cautious right now with it until it proves itself otherwise...

Regarding speed. For me, my DJI drones are AP drones pure and simple. They are there for me to take photos and videos. I've got FPV drones for when I "feel the need for speed"....

What do you think was the cause of the MA malfunction?

That would be a pretty sweet drone if and when they can reach those speeds.

Mavic Pro- Yes
Mavic Air- Yes if I did not own any other type of Mavic
Yuneec Typhoon H- No. Should have went with the P4P instead. Just waiting on the Phantom 5 to be released.

Hubsan H501SS - Would definitely buy again but only have time for one drone.

Mavic Pro - will buy again if I crash it.

Phantom FC40, Phantom 3 Advanced, Mavic Pro, Spark

Mavic Pro, and Spark yes - others are outdated.

Mavic Air

None. I’ve been lucky.

Not relying on a phone for a display. Integrated into the controller like the upcoming Autel Evo would stop a lot of issues.

Phantom FC40, Phantom 3 Advanced, Mavic Pro, Spark

Mavic Pro, and Spark yes - others are outdated.

Mavic Air

None. I’ve been lucky.

Not relying on a phone for a display. Integrated into the controller like the upcoming Autel Evo would stop a lot of issues.

Heard anything more on the Autel Evo?

Does my Air Hogs Starship Enterprise count?

P3 standard
Mavic pro

Mavic - yes
P3 - no not enough range

No problems with either but i have onlu had the mavic 2 weeks .
P3 not gonna get much use now lol

Would be good to have integrated display rather than using your phone

P3 standard
Mavic pro

Mavic - yes
P3 - no not enough range

No problems with either but i have onlu had the mavic 2 weeks .
P3 not gonna get much use now lol

Would be good to have integrated display rather than using your phone

I do like the ability to use your phone, but also would be nice to have the integrated display as well.

Reactions: willz83
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Olga