DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What extended cable would I need to separate controller from phone/tablet physically?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I'm confused by all the terminologys, USB-A, USB-c, Micro USB, etc. Too much nuance for my brain to remember. I just need someone to point me to what I need (please). I've got an iPhone 6sPlus, a Mavic 2 Pro with standard controller. So what cable do I need if I want to keep the controller in my lap and my iPhone high up on the dash? Can anyone provide a link on Amazon that I can just click on and buy? Is there such a cable in 24" (+?) length for this?

Well, the iPhone 6 uses Lightning connection, and the M2 remote has a standard USB-A port (like you'd see on a PC) on the bottom so a standard Lightning data cable at your desired length would work. Just be sure the short included cable is not plugged in at the side port if you use the bottom port.

o what cable do I need if I want to keep the controller in my lap and my iPhone high up on the dash? Can anyone provide a link on Amazon that I can just click on and buy? Is there such a cable in 24" (+?) length for this?
These Anker cables would be a good fit and are made well. You can get them in 3ft or 6ft lengths.

1606734712088.png

Reactions: Thomas B
You can get just about any cable length you want, but generally stocked cables are in the 12" 36" and then longer. Their are quite a few companies out there that will custom make for a additional fee. Google is your friend :) I had custom made mini to mini HDMI cables made for my FPV side on my systems. Cable cost was $22 for a 2' so I could go from belt clipped module to my RC controller. Now my new system has one full size HDMI :( so I had to get a darn adapter.

Well, the iPhone 6 uses Lightning connection, and the M2 remote has a standard USB-A port (like you'd see on a PC) on the bottom so a standard Lightning data cable at your desired length would work. Just be sure the short included cable is not plugged in at the side port if you use the bottom port.
In my younger days I used to be the most technical guy on the planet. I'm not sure what happened, but nuances seem to escape me these days. [Mavic Air 2... Mavic 2... too close in naming IMO].

I had no idea that I could simply plug a lightning/USB (regular... type A, I guess) into the bottom USB port of the controller and voilà, that's all it would take. I happen to have several new cables on hand in both 3' and 6' length. I thought the bottom USB port on the controller was just to plug the controller into the computer for firmware upgrades. I didn't know it could serve the same function as the port on the side.

Could somebody please tell me why DJI uses a mini (or is it micro?) USB to charge the controller and some other type of connect to hook it to the phone (what is that connector called?)?

The short connectors put the RC side micro port into host, or A mode. The proper micro-A formfactor is rectangular, which is what DJI chose to use since A mode is the main purpose for the USB connection. The wiring in the plug puts the port into A mode.
A device in A mode can only connect to a device in B mode. You can't connect two PCs together by USB.
Being charged is a B function. The micro-A socket is also able to accommodate the B plug so you can plug a micro-B cable to charge it or update it. The charger and PC are in A mode.

The bottom port is full A like in your PC. It can never operate in B mode.
You may have come across full B ports on printers and bigger storage devices.

The Mini didn't offer a bottom full A port so special cables had to be made by third parties to connect to the side port as OTG, basically a longer version of the included short cables.

I'm confused by all the terminologys, USB-A, USB-c, Micro USB, etc. Too much nuance for my brain to remember. I just need someone to point me to what I need (please). I've got an iPhone 6sPlus, a Mavic 2 Pro with standard controller. So what cable do I need if I want to keep the controller in my lap and my iPhone high up on the dash? Can anyone provide a link on Amazon that I can just click on and buy? Is there such a cable in 24" (+?) length for this?
The DJI Controller is fitted with the 'Micro USB' ports. So you will need an adapter to go from you Iphone cable to the controller. You can find those on Amazon. Read and look carefully to see the thing that works for your cabling. Use the magnifier on Amazon to look at the thing you need. Your question implies that you want to have a longer than normal cable. I'm not sure if that's possible but why don't you just put the phone in the little arms that are part of the controller?

But he has an M2, so he can just use the bottom A port with a standard cable. Only the MM1 needed the special cable.

All the rest of the technical stuff was because he was curious and asked about it.

I might have forgotten to mention, you need to make sure none of the DJI short cables are plugged into the side port if using the bottom port. Otherwise you'll get power from it but no data.

Reactions: vindibona1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elikruj