DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What happened to my drone after flying in dense fog

If you fly in fog, that is considered IFR and it is not legal according to the FAR's. Doing so and publishing the video on the web is a very foolish thing to do, plus if you are close to an airport and a aircraft is making an IFR approach it could cause a very serious accident.

thats one heck of a video. Great job!
I dont think any aircraft will fly that close to buildings and mountains so dont worry about the haters.

Just because you CANT do it doeant mean others wont. Its his drone and he can fly it through fire if he wants to. So stop with the hating and just appreciate. Its not like he flew over an airport or over a crowd. If youre too scared to break a few rules (not that OP did) or TOO SCARED to fly your drone in no mans land, stick with your rc car.

Last edited:
Reactions: p3-reaerial
While the video is indeed visually appealing, two things 1. Flying through dense fog is going to be throwing a lot of moisture into your drone’s electronics which is not a good thing. I have seen videos of drones that were flown through dense fog not behaving as they should. Do you want to lose control? 2. It shows you were flying above fog and couldn’t keep your drone in sight thus you were violating both LOS rules and also the rule regarding separation from clouds. The rules regarding drones and clouds - 500 feet below, 2000 feet horizontally. Planes flying in visual flight rules have to stay 500 above clouds. The drone rules don’t talk about how far above the clouds you must be because you are not supposed to fly drones above clouds. And fog.is a cloud at ground level. Both are rules for a reason. How do you know whether you are at risk of hitting an airplane? You don’t. I would suggest that when you violate the rules you probably shouldn’t post a video showing it.

Yawn.....another boring drone cop.
You have no idea about VFR (flight rules). The distance above/below clouds depends on which airspace the plane is flying in so you have immediately shown your ignorance on the matter.
Best you don’t embarrass yourself again by keeping your boring comments to yourself.

Wow, seems everyone is an expert on drone laws in every country. Don’t bother even asking if you are allowed to do these things where you live, no just start a rant that simply annoys others and makes you look like a ****.

Reactions: p3-reaerial
Yawn.....another boring drone cop.
You have no idea about VFR (flight rules). The distance above/below clouds depends on which airspace the plane is flying in so you have immediately shown your ignorance on the matter.
Best you don’t embarrass yourself again by keeping your boring comments to yourself.

It is correct that those rules don't apply to Class A & B, but drones are restricted to flights upto 400', so you have a silly argument and were quick to point out "ignorance" rather than educate. We are discussing drone flights here with height restrictions.
Rulings for Class A have restrictions of: Flight visibility - Not Applicable; Distance from clouds - Not Applicable.
Rulings for Class B have restrictions of: Flight visibility - 3 statute miles; Distance from clouds - Clear of clouds.
Rulings for Class C, D, & E (Less than 10,000 feet MSL) have restrictions of: Flight visibility - 3 statute miles; Distance from clouds - 500 feet below./1,000 feet above./2,000 feet horizontal. - Class E (At or above 10,000 feet MSL); Flight visibility - 5 statute miles; Distance from clouds - 1,000 feet below./1,000 feet above./1 statute mile horizontal.
Rulings for Class G ((1,200 feet or less above the surface) (regardless of MSL altitude)) have restrictions of: During Day, except as provided in § 91.155(b) Flight visibility - 1 statute mile; Distance from clouds - Clear of clouds. / During Night, except as provided in § 91.155(b): Flight visibility - 3 statute miles; Distance from clouds - 500 feet below./1,000 feet above./2,000 feet horizontal.

So the poster had valid points. Though the footage was stunning, but at what risk? and violating set rules for flight. Is it that the mind set of some in the drone community is: "Take the risk and EF the rules for that great shot"?, I would hope not, but there are some that seem to feel this way.

Reactions: noosaguy
It is correct that those rules don't apply to Class A & B, but drones are restricted to flights upto 400', so you have a silly argument and were quick to point out "ignorance" rather than educate. We are discussing drone flights here with height restrictions.
Rulings for Class A have restrictions of: Flight visibility - Not Applicable; Distance from clouds - Not Applicable.
Rulings for Class B have restrictions of: Flight visibility - 3 statute miles; Distance from clouds - Clear of clouds.
Rulings for Class C, D, & E (Less than 10,000 feet MSL) have restrictions of: Flight visibility - 3 statute miles; Distance from clouds - 500 feet below./1,000 feet above./2,000 feet horizontal. - Class E (At or above 10,000 feet MSL); Flight visibility - 5 statute miles; Distance from clouds - 1,000 feet below./1,000 feet above./1 statute mile horizontal.
Rulings for Class G ((1,200 feet or less above the surface) (regardless of MSL altitude)) have restrictions of: During Day, except as provided in § 91.155(b) Flight visibility - 1 statute mile; Distance from clouds - Clear of clouds. / During Night, except as provided in § 91.155(b): Flight visibility - 3 statute miles; Distance from clouds - 500 feet below./1,000 feet above./2,000 feet horizontal.

So the poster had valid points. Though the footage was stunning, but at what risk? and violating set rules for flight

Blah blah blah

You must be fun at parties

Reactions: Rnl and jws926
While the video is indeed visually appealing, two things 1. Flying through dense fog is going to be throwing a lot of moisture into your drone’s electronics which is not a good thing. I have seen videos of drones that were flown through dense fog not behaving as they should. Do you want to lose control? 2. It shows you were flying above fog and couldn’t keep your drone in sight thus you were violating both LOS rules and also the rule regarding separation from clouds. The rules regarding drones and clouds - 500 feet below, 2000 feet horizontally. Planes flying in visual flight rules have to stay 500 above clouds. The drone rules don’t talk about how far above the clouds you must be because you are not supposed to fly drones above clouds. And fog.is a cloud at ground level. Both are rules for a reason. How do you know whether you are at risk of hitting an airplane? You don’t. I would suggest that when you violate the rules you probably shouldn’t post a video showing it.

What country is he from?

Two weeks ago I flew my drone in a dense fog in a town near home. The scenery captured was epic and well worth it.
View attachment 52528
Nice. I have flown my Phantom in fog and snow, it was always in clear sight and within the height and distances allowed. In this clip there was no fog where I took off and I just skimmed over the near edge.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev