DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What happens if I don't update to latest firmware version?

No, just to clarify here. If you update but then after the update decline to log in to your DJI account when prompted you will be limited.
But if you simply decline the update all together, nothing will happen. This video reiterates this, as he can probably do a better job of clarifying the facts.

It's simple to comprehend.

If you go to a new area, your app will ask to update NFZ zone. If you decline your mavic will be handicapped to height/distance limits. Similar to beginners mode., if you accept nfz update then you can fly as usual.

The issue is what if your in a remote are where 4g signal is non existant or bad? What If your using a tablet?....

This is every time you switch geographic area...its done it to me and many others 5 times.

Reactions: mavic6611
It's simple to comprehend.

If you go to a new area, your app will ask to update NFZ zone. If you decline your mavic will be handicapped to height/distance limits. Similar to beginners mode., if you accept nfz update then you can fly as usual.

The issue is what if your in a remote are where 4g signal is non existant or bad? What If your using a tablet?....

This is every time you switch geographic area...its done it to me and many others 5 times.

NaiveFlight
This has been covered and sorted out in many threads over and over. On this forum and on the Official DJI Forum, where actual representatives from DJI clearly answered these concerns
https://forum.dji.com/thread-64854-1-1.html
Not a guess from someone that has ONLY been flying for 9 days now.
3 day user!
And whom picked the name "NaiveFlight"
which literally means (someone lacking wisdom and experience in flight) This is almost unbelievable lol!
You have been on several threads also commenting replying with this blatant misinformation in a hostile manner, possibly steering forum members in the wrong direction.
So please "NaiveFlight" with your extensive 9 days of veteran experience in the drone world maybe you should study the basics like what ""ATTI MODE" is before you get into the ins and outs of firmware updates and making statements that were probably based off of an old post before DJI clarified exactly what the email stated.
This is Brendan Schulman, the head of DJIs legal department. Please read his statement on "having" to update if you do not want to.
d3507cce5063d22e1d695cf623cc4c86.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TimeIsMine
NaiveFlight
This has been covered and sorted out in many threads over and over. On this forum and on the Official DJI Forum, where actual representatives from DJI clearly answered these concerns
https://forum.dji.com/thread-64854-1-1.html
Not a guess from someone that has ONLY been flying for 9 days now.
3 day user!
And whom picked the name "NaiveFlight"
which literally means (someone lacking wisdom and experience in flight) This is almost unbelievable lol!
You have been on several threads also commenting replying with this blatant misinformation in a hostile manner, possibly steering forum members in the wrong direction.
So please "NaiveFlight" with your extensive 9 days of veteran experience in the drone world maybe you should study the basics like what ""ATTI MODE" is before you get into the ins and outs of firmware updates and making statements that were probably based off of an old post before DJI clarified exactly what the email stated.
This is Brendan Schulman, the head of DJIs legal department. Please read his statement on "having" to update if you do not want to.
d3507cce5063d22e1d695cf623cc4c86.jpg

Idgaf about how I'm a new user, my screen name I chose whatever, many many people are experiencing the same thing I am.

I understand what you mean about the log in the first time... Everyone understood that, your comprehensive skills are garbage and misunderstanding the nfz zone update prompt... If I can understand stand after only 9 days of having It... Then you for whoever long has I should understand it easier. Worthless

Whatever that guy said has nothing to do with the nfz zone prompt update. What's so hard for you to get it. Just dumb? Or what?

No, just to clarify here. If you update but then after the update decline to log in to your DJI account when prompted you will be limited.
But if you simply decline the update all together, nothing will happen. This video reiterates this, as he can probably do a better job of clarifying the facts.
That's answered a few concerns. Thanks for sharing mate.

Reactions: Jamison74
If your on firmware .200 or whatever one that isn't current are you on the latest DJI go app? My 3 year old son deleted my DJI go app (Apple iOS) so I have no option other then to update to the latest app on my iPad, I do still have the older app available on my iPhone 7 though. Maybe I could do a backup on my PC and it would load that old app onto my iPad some how?

If your on firmware .200 or whatever one that isn't current are you on the latest DJI go app? My 3 year old son deleted my DJI go app (Apple iOS) so I have no option other then to update to the latest app on my iPad, I do still have the older app available on my iPhone 7 though. Maybe I could do a backup on my PC and it would load that old app onto my iPad some how?

Vincey,
I avoid unwanted app updates on my iPad mini4 by simply turning off the "Automatic Updates" and "Automatic Downloads"

7db91fd0cd716d111725d10da0df5749.jpg

If not, you could wake up one morning to find you have updated and didn't even know it.
Which I read on the DJI Forums in a couple different tech posts that you can indeed run newer updated versions of the GO4 app with older firmware versions as I am. But NOT the other way around. The rep from DJI explained it like this Firmware adds the capability of
the new features, tweaks, Goggles compatibility to the Mavic the it's RC.
Where as the GO4 app updates are mostly doing things like adding new phones and tablets to the supported device list, new color profiles, updated menus, calibration tutorials, toggles and selector control options to reflect the newly added features offered in the firmware on the drone and RC.
•Firmware update adds the capability
•App update adds the control
3df472deb5bd289e6db40660eed8c338.jpg

Last edited:
Idgaf about how I'm a new user, my screen name I chose whatever, many many people are experiencing the same thing I am.

I understand what you mean about the log in the first time... Everyone understood that, your comprehensive skills are garbage and misunderstanding the nfz zone update prompt... If I can understand stand after only 9 days of having It... Then you for whoever long has I should understand it easier. Worthless

Whatever that guy said has nothing to do with the nfz zone prompt update. What's so hard for you to get it. Just dumb? Or what?
You do not have to update.
I really cannot explain this to you in any simpler terms. Provided several sources from DJI themselves saying if you are concerned about logging in 1 time after an update, then simply do not do it. You keep saying over and over about a NFZ update prompt. This nfz update prompt, logging to your DJI account 1 time all of these things you keep posting in firmware threads
WILL NOT EXIST IF YOU DO NOT PERFORM FIRMWARE UPDATE .0800.
OR DO IT AND OMG! LOG IN TO THE SAME DJI ACCOUNT YOU CREATED ONLY 9 DAYS AGO A TOTAL OF 1 TIME.
I really think you may just be Naive.
Here it is one more time the clear concise explanation of Firmware V .0800
Idk maybe you fast forwarded the important part. You know the part about the facts.

Reactions: scooot
You do not have to update.
I really cannot explain this to you in any simpler terms. Provided several sources from DJI themselves saying if you are concerned about logging in 1 time after an update, then simply do not do it. You keep saying over and over about a NFZ update prompt. This nfz update prompt, logging to your DJI account 1 time all of these things you keep posting in firmware threads
WILL NOT EXIST IF YOU DO NOT PERFORM FIRMWARE UPDATE .0800.
OR DO IT AND OMG! LOG IN TO THE SAME DJI ACCOUNT YOU CREATED ONLY 9 DAYS AGO A TOTAL OF 1 TIME.
I really think you may just be Naive.
Here it is one more time the clear concise explanation of Firmware V .0800
Idk maybe you fast forwarded the important part. You know the part about the facts.

You keep missing the point... After I log in that 1 time.... I still get nfz prompt updates each time I go to a different geographic area., I downgraded to 700 and now still the same, I will have to downgrade to 400 and see if that does away with the Nfz prompt update.

Again.... Not the 1 time dji log in.

AGAIN.... NOT THE 1 TINE DJI LOG IN!

maybe this time it registered to you

You need to downgrade the DJI Go 4. The link provided to you in the other thread 7 app 700 firmware. I just moved 1500 miles fired up the Mavic no request for map updates

Reactions: namja
Ever since DJI sent the heads up email about the new firmware I've stayed put with firmware and DJI GO version.

I gotcha, okay so here's the issue, you are obviously in a no fly zone and trying to correct this thru software. LMAO No wonder you are so salty. I would be too if i just bought a $1000 drone but did not FIRST check my area for no fly zones.

It won't. NFZ updates are unrelated to firmware.

I created a VM so we can all forever downgrade to 400

I gotcha, okay so here's the issue, you are obviously in a no fly zone and trying to correct this thru software. LMAO No wonder you are so salty. I would be too if i just bought a $1000 drone but did not FIRST check my area for no fly zones.

It won't. NFZ updates are unrelated to firmware.

I created a VM so we can all forever downgrade to 400

That's the thing my man, I'm not in a NFZ each time I fly, sometimes I'm out in remote areas hiking and there is no airport within 30 miles, and I am not in an NFZ zone, but the app still prompts for me to update NFZ zone. I accept if I have a web connection, but there has been times where I'm so far out in remote areas that I don't have a internet connection so I hit -*ignore* and the Mavic is only allowed to fly similar to beginners mode...

I don't mind updating the nfz zones when the app prompts me each time I'm in a new area...its just that I sometimes don't have internet, or I use my tablet...

I flew from .CA to HI, 1st thing pop up when I turned on the app FW update. Since I like what I have been using I ignored it and turned on airplane mode and that's it. Pesky reminders gone.

I flew from .CA to HI, 1st thing pop up when I turned on the app FW update. Since I like what I have been using I ignored it and turned on airplane mode and that's it. Pesky reminders gone.

I get the nfz update prompt even when I am in airplane mode, forcing me to choose, ignore/accept

Fw800
DJI app at 4.1.0

Unfortunately for most of us, .400 is no longer available to Assistant. The VM solution is not for most either. I well remember doing the hack on DirecTV TiVo recorders. Fortunately the DBS community had people willing to put together a step by step button push by button push character for character primer. If you were extremely careful and typed perfectly and went exquisitely step by step through the routine you would have a useful DirecTiVo. The text directions for the VM .400 file is from about 100000 feet.

Your day will be stress free [emoji846]
I am still running .200 with zero issues and I am still able to utilize the Mavics originally advertised specs, range, and speed without the slow systematic crippling that DJI has been known for in the past. I have had my Mavic since November and my focus is sharp, i do not know what a soft "watercolor" image is, I still have the same Speed of 24mph (40mph in Sport) in rural locations I still have a range of 4.5 miles, i can still get 25 minutes out of a battery, it lands dead on to the inch from the Home Point when RTH, it has never drifted while hovering, none of these things. I am completely satisfied with my product, why would I ever take the risk of changing that?
But oh then again I have will never have the ability to use the goofy goggles that I never planned on ordering anyway.
And don't allow anyone to try to tell you that your warranty or Care Refresh will be void if you do not update. I have included a link from the DJI Forum where a representative from DJI addresses this myth.
Is warranty voided? DJI can you answer this question?
The googles work great on 200 :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mupps64