DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What happens if I press the symbol down arrow with H sign

I read mine 4 times before I ever flew it!!!?

Uuuuum folks did anyone notice "I’m flying indoors" & "I want no crashing in the ceiling"? Surely indoors it is unlikely to have a GPS lock and therefore no home point, no ability to measure distance from the home point and no ability to RTH?

From the p15 of the manual
"The aircraft cannot return to the Home Point if the GPS signal is weak or unavailable. If the GPS signal becomes weak or unavailable after RTH is triggered, the aircraft will hover in place for a while before landing."

I have just tried this, indoors no GPS, with my MM (and it is the down arrow with the H character on the phone screen that I am offered) and it does trigger the automated landing procedure i.e. press and hold the next button that shows up whilst the green boundary is drawn, but the landing site is immediately rejected. Whether the latter is because of its nature or insufficient light I do not know.
You can't guarantee you won't get GPS indoors. I often am able to get a GPS lock and HP set while in my house.

However one is not likely to be more than 60ft from HP, so it will land.

Reactions: B52-D
Funny how we are all different from each other, when I order a new drone or toaster or Tv or anything, the first thing i do is go download the manual and watch videos on youtube, I never had any crash in 4 years of flyin drones and nerver crash a toaster either ???

Hi
If I press the symbol on the controller down arrow with H sign will it automatically land or will it shoot 15m in the air and return to Rth
I’m flying indoors
I want no crashing in the ceiling

Many thanks

K
Thinking back to my first flights back in my phantom days, I believe that I read about the control stick and throttle etc, found a wide open field and went for it!
Looking at the props etc I could only imagine the mayhem could be caused by one oops!
Did I read the entire manual.... yes eventually, so my answer to flying indoors is unless you have extenuating circumstances, go outside.
Why would you want a stable HD panorama of the inside of your house, it somewhat defeats the whole idea of owning a drone?

Oddly... that's what I did when I got my Mavic Mini in October, which just happened to be my very first drone. But I'm probably the exception, I intend to use the drone commercially eventually like with most equipment I initially get for fun.
I did as well, read my manual twice and I did it with my car and my 36 foot diesel motor home.....the reason....you can get most any manual or information pertaining to your particular purchase long before you ever buy. Your right it is the exception but I retired a high voltage lineman and truly understand the value of trying to know what your before actually doing it and then when I actually do a thing I can say “oh yea” or realize I have to read some pages over yet again. PS. does not apply to putting my kids bike together!

WDK

Last edited:
You can't guarantee you won't get GPS indoors. I often am able to get a GPS lock and HP set while in my house.

However one is not likely to be more than 60ft from HP, so it will land.
Maybe that is why I said "Surely indoors it is unlikely to have a GPS lock". And for comparison to your situation I have never had a GPS lock in the house with any of the drones I have flown P3 Adv/Pro, MM, M2P/Z.

Hi
If I press the symbol on the controller down arrow with H sign will it automatically land or will it shoot 15m in the air and return to Rth
I’m flying indoors
I want no crashing in the ceiling

Many thanks

K
Under what circumstances do you need to press the RTH button for whilst inside? Surely if it’s for training and experience you‘d want to do it in a big wide open space that represents the environment that you would be actually pressing the RTH button? Then you can see how the drone reacts without the concerns of a roof above you? I’m fairly experienced but can’t think why I would need to activate this function inside.

Reactions: John Locke
Under what circumstances do you need to press the RTH button for whilst inside? Surely if it’s for training and experience you‘d want to do it in a big wide open space that represents the environment that you would be actually pressing the RTH button? Then you can see how the drone reacts without the concerns of a roof above you? I’m fairly experienced but can’t think why I would need to activate this function inside.

Reactions: Meta4
Maybe that is why I said "Surely indoors it is unlikely to have a GPS lock". And for comparison to your situation I have never had a GPS lock in the house with any of the drones I have flown P3 Adv/Pro, MM, M2P/Z.
Depends on the environment how "unlikely". For my house, it's likely but not stable, and not being stable will cause mixed results pushing the RTH icon. I also have a P3A, M2Z, and MM1.

I've stated a few times that there should be an option to disable use of GPS for flight so that there aren't any surprises flying in low GPS signal areas such as indoors.

I pressed the RTH button one time in my long career. I'm 58 years old and I have been flying RC and Stringed aircraft since I was 10.....in all that time I have, like I said, only pushed the button one time. I was in my back yard showing another photographer how the drone works....he asked what that button was, I said it's a RTH.....I said, press it (so he did, I guess that means I personally have never pressed the button, haha).....

My home is located on a lake, and when he pressed the button, the drone instantly went straight down and missed the lake by exactly 1 foot.

I just don't trust it.....I would rather fly it down.

My other experience with RTH is once I was (my mistake) flying the drone with way, way too little battery. I'm a eat everything on my plate kind of guy...so, If I'm at 25% battery and I feel like I can get one more flight, we'll, why not!!! hahaha

The drone I was flying at the time was an Inspire 1.....and I had a longer flight than anticipated.....and as a result, it was in the air just too long and it kicked into RTH because the battery got too low. This was the first time this ever happened to me and frankly even thought I read the instruction manual 4 times, I forgot it would do that. And like most humans, I panicked!!! Instead of canceling the RTH, I just sat there and watched it attempt to fly home.....and it went straight through a tree to get there. $947 later, it was repaired......

I have owned every drone made by DJI from the Phantom's all the way to the Inspire 2......I never went bigger or better than the Inspire 2........I have sold everything and currently have 2 Mavic P2's that I use on a daily basis in my business. They are amazing.......

And as info, I have crashed EVERY drone made by DJI......except for the Mavic and the Inspire 1......when they started putting the features in these drones that help you avoid accidents.....I suddenly stopped crashing!

:D

Kirk

And as info, I have crashed EVERY drone made by DJI......except for the Mavic and the Inspire 1......when they started putting the features in these drones that help you avoid accidents.....I suddenly stopped crashing!

:D

Kirk

I assume you meant Inspire 2. I1 didn't have OA, and you even said you crashed your I1 during RTH.

I just don't trust it.....I would rather fly it down.
RTH is very reliable but there's a lot to it, over three pages in the manual.
That's why you need to read it and try it out to understand what it does and how it does it.
Then you can avoid simple mistakes like not setting the RTH height appropriately or initiating RTH withing 60 feet.

Ok enough on reading the Manual and driving cars .
I think the OP has that now.

Agreed Dirkclod!

Almost 2 pages of bs, and only a couple of people actually answered the question seriously.
You lot should be ashamed! I see this behaviour more often on this forum, going way off topic

I hope that the person asking this question could find the answer between all that clutter.

Just to make sure: the H with the arrow down will initiate the automatic landing.
The app will ask you if you are sure with a slider on the screen, after you slide it to the right the drone will land, ofcourse only when the obstacle avoidance sensors deem the landing site safe.
My advice to you is not to fly indoors as the drone needs GPS lock for a safe and controlled flight.
without GPS lock the drone can drift in any direction without itself correcting it's position.

Ruud

I haven't try this but before you hit the RTH button, set your RTH altitude to 1.5m that's 5.2 feet. Your drone won't shoot up higher than the ceiling.

Agreed Dirkclod!

Almost 2 pages of bs, and only a couple of people actually answered the question seriously.
You lot should be ashamed! I see this behaviour more often on this forum, going way off topic

I hope that the person asking this question could find the answer between all that clutter.

Just to make sure: the H with the arrow down will initiate the automatic landing.
The app will ask you if you are sure with a slider on the screen, after you slide it to the right the drone will land, ofcourse only when the obstacle avoidance sensors deem the landing site safe.
My advice to you is not to fly indoors as the drone needs GPS lock for a safe and controlled flight.
without GPS lock the drone can drift in any direction without itself correcting it's position.

Ruud
Actually curved arrow to a circle with an H in the middle is RTH. Arrow to a circle without an H in the middle is landing. Not all models will have the landing icon.

Mavics can also stabilize using vision positioning which is suitable indoors, if there's enough light. However the GPS cutting in and out may cause issues, especially if RTH is accidentally triggered.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada