DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What happens if you loss connection with your mini 2 i. e gose behind trees etc?

Interesting but abnormal.
You cannot count on being able to do similar things.
The radio signal cannot pass through solid rock like that.
It must have been reflecting to keep signal that way.
What’s abnormal?
it simply kept the signal which is clearly normal for this latest tech. “How” the signal gets there is immaterial and not of concern to the user.

Abnormal is when it wouldn’t normally do that, surely? I think Ken was showing the new normals that used to be abnormal!
PS this is a lighthearted response ?

What’s abnormal?
Despite what the video guy suggests to his gullible viewers, radio waves in the frequencies used by the Mavic cannot pass through solid rock, particularly the amount of rock between him and the drone.
it simply kept the signal which is clearly normal for this latest tech. “How” the signal gets there is immaterial and not of concern to the user.

Abnormal is when it wouldn’t normally do that, surely?
He had a particular situation where the signal reflected off the back wall of the road cutting.

It might be worthwhile to remind our readers that loss of signal coupled with RTH to home point should bring your drone back to the initial home point.

Since the Mini 2 is easy to deploy from practically anywhere and it only raises up to 3 - 4 ft, it's tempting to launch from a location that does not give your returning drone a clear descent to your original home point.

I have both the M2Z and the Mini 2. I only launch the M2Z in clear open areas where there are no vertical obstructions and where the M2Z has a clear descent path in case of loss of signal.

The ease of use of the Mini 2 and the fact that it is far less expensive to replace has led me to take off from locations where there is no clear descent path.

If the drone executes the RTH function due to a controller error and cannot be re-acquired, it is programmed to descent to the initial RTH location.

Under such conditions, a loss of control plus the automatic RTH instructions would cause the drone to descent into an obstruction (tree branches, roof, etc) because you would not be able to steer the drone around these obstructions.

I have therefore ended any launches that do not have a clear and unobstructed ascent path, in case of a loss of control that cannot be regained. If I do have to launch from an undesirable location, at least I am aware of the risks that I am taking.

The take off window of the Mini 2 clearly states: "Avoid taking off in confined spaces or crowds".

GOOD ADVICE!

Reactions: The General
It might be worthwhile to remind our read.............
good point and often the case where I tend to fly from at the moment.
But it is also worth noting that in such circumstances both my M2P and my MM often do not get GPS lock until they are several metres up with a clear view of the sky, at which point the HP is either set or reset. In my case this can be a few metres away from the launch point.
That said I wonder how many people actually let their drone land automatically during an RTH? That I remember I have only done so when I wanted to see the accuracy of its return, inch perfect if the M2P has been able to set the 'high accuracy' HP, normally I cancel the RTH once the drone is overhead.

I often let my M2P land itself via RTH. Just a preference and laziness coupled with the desire to watch it.
My RTH is set to at least 50‘ above the highest obstacle in my field of flight unless there are objects such as trees in the area... which I try to avoid.

Btw, if you're flying low through trees (forest) and there is no open canopy overhead, setting it to hover in place is a good option for signal loss.

Absolutely....

The key is to image disaster before it happens and what to do to prevent it.

tw, if you're flying low through trees (forest) and there is no open canopy overhead, setting it to hover in place is a good option for signal loss
But bear in mind what happens if you do not get to it before the battery runs down.

Make sure your RTH is set above the highest structure or the drone will run into whatever is in the way on its return to home. (ex-tree height is 100 feet RTH should be set to 125 feet). Also, if you lose signal just go higher with drone and you will obtain the signal back most likely, avoiding RTH. The further away you go the higher the drone must be in order to have contiguous signal(unless you are over water or starting from a mountain top).
You mean if the signal appears to degrade, raise altitude. If he lost signal, he can't raise altitude unless he can at least briefly regain signal.

good point and often the case where I tend to fly from at the moment.
But it is also worth noting that in such circumstances both my M2P and my MM often do not get GPS lock until they are several metres up with a clear view of the sky, at which point the HP is either set or reset. In my case this can be a few metres away from the launch point.
That said I wonder how many people actually let their drone land automatically during an RTH? That I remember I have only done so when I wanted to see the accuracy of its return, inch perfect if the M2P has been able to set the 'high accuracy' HP, normally I cancel the RTH once the drone is overhead.
Unless you have obstruction to open sky, you should get a GPS lock before takeoff. That can take a minute or so though. Once you have lock before TO, HP will be set. You should then again get HP set right at TO.

If you don't have view to open sky for a good GPS lock, you probably don't have a good location for it to land straight down to TO point anyway.

It might be worthwhile to remind our readers that loss of signal coupled with RTH to home point should bring your drone back to the initial home point.

Since the Mini 2 is easy to deploy from practically anywhere and it only raises up to 3 - 4 ft, it's tempting to launch from a location that does not give your returning drone a clear descent to your original home point.

I have both the M2Z and the Mini 2. I only launch the M2Z in clear open areas where there are no vertical obstructions and where the M2Z has a clear descent path in case of loss of signal.

The ease of use of the Mini 2 and the fact that it is far less expensive to replace has led me to take off from locations where there is no clear descent path.

If the drone executes the RTH function due to a controller error and cannot be re-acquired, it is programmed to descent to the initial RTH location.

Under such conditions, a loss of control plus the automatic RTH instructions would cause the drone to descent into an obstruction (tree branches, roof, etc) because you would not be able to steer the drone around these obstructions.

I have therefore ended any launches that do not have a clear and unobstructed ascent path, in case of a loss of control that cannot be regained. If I do have to launch from an undesirable location, at least I am aware of the risks that I am taking.

The take off window of the Mini 2 clearly states: "Avoid taking off in confined spaces or crowds".

GOOD ADVICE!
MM2 only raises up 2-3ft?
Perhaps you meant auto takeoff not being as high on MM2 as is with M2?
One could just CSC to start motors, then manually take off. That's what I usually do.

RTH is similar between MM2 and M2. What might be different is distance from HP that determines if it just lands, returns at current altitude, or goes to set RTH altitude.

Failsafe RTH should ignore the HP distance rule, at least the range to fly at altitude. If you lost signal, you can't cancel or alter path/altitude when the current altitude is not ideal to beeline back.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman