DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What happens if your phone crashes?

MarcusRaider

Reactions
Just a curious question for the Mavic Air 2 with the new remote control and Ocusync. If my iphone were to crash what steps would be needed and would the controller still provide communication with the drone?

Just a curious question for the Mavic Air 2 with the new remote control and Ocusync. If my iphone were to crash what steps would be needed and would the controller still provide communication with the drone?
What would happen?
Nothing much.
Your phone just shows the images, but the controller is what the drone connects to.
You could still fly manually or initiate RTH.
You could reboot the phone, start the app and see if it reconnects.
Or, worst case, switch off the controller which would also initiate RTH.

What would happen?
Nothing much.
Your phone just shows the images, but the controller is what the drone connects to.
You could still fly manually or initiate RTH.
You could reboot the phone, start the app and see if it reconnects.
Or, worst case, switch off the controller which would also initiate RTH.

Hi Meta,

Thanks for the information on this! Great to know!

Thanks for the information on this! Great to know!
Do a little test in a large open area with no obstacles.
Fly 30 metres out and pull the cable from your phone and watch what happens.
See how you still have full control.
Plug it back in and reconnect the phone.
Switch off the controller and see what happens.

Meta's advice is exactly right. I had never done any of those things. I had always used the RTH on the screen or just cancelled it when I regained the image on the screen. It's a new ball game when you lose the phone entirely..first you do all the thing's in the wrong order..try to get the phone reconnected etc..

The problem that I had was that I had no way of knowing what the drone was doing. I waited to hear it and I didn't, so I pushed the Return to home not really knowing if I was cancelling it or exactly what was going to happen. I had a sinking feeling that it was set to hover even though I know it defaults back to RTH when restarted. Then when I did finally hear the drone I did the bonehead act of switching from sport mode to normal...I stopped hearing the drone again.. God helps those that can't help themselves I guess cuz I finally pushed the right buttons..but as I said..Meta is right.. prepare!

Reactions: Jane Duff
I had this happen more than once (due to a bad USB cable) and the app crashed on my tablet. I was in Intel-Flght mode so instead of a panic I just left the craft to go (continue on) it's prescribed mission (POI). I rebooted the tablet, restarted the app, and it basically reconnected all on it's own once it recognized it was already running. I completed the mission, cancelled the POI mission and brought it home. Done. And then I replaced the cable once I determined what the problem was..

I've had my iPhone 6 crash a few times. Rebooting the app has worked and I've used RTH while rebooting the app too.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scottster03