DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What if the mini becomes inverted in flight?

HeliFreak

Reactions
I tried hand catching and inverting the drone quickly to turn off the motors, it worked as planned.

Got me thinking though, and i apologize if already covered, but what happens if the mini hits a huge rogue wind gust, clips a branch, whatever, and becomes inverted in flight? Will the motors turn off and it fall, or can it recover?

Just do a Top gun Maverick
Roll inverted hit the brakes and he will fly right on by,!
seriously does the mini know if it’s inverted to kill the motors? It would make sense to minimise damage but can the mini do 360 flips?

LOL

"Because I was inverted!" :cool:

If you hand catch fast enough to avoid the ground sensors (so not in "landing" mode) and give it a quick turn upside down, the motors turn off immediately. It for sure know's its orientation, being the year 2020 and all ;)

By the way I'm not going to do that anymore because my girlfriend said it was mean HAHA

You were in a 6g negative dive?
Thats the ballsiest move I ever seen
I’m learning on a MPP And as far as I know it’s limited to quite tame angles of bank etc but tempted to see what happens if I hand catch and then invert....learning something new every day!

Reactions: HeliFreak
Platinum, nice choice. It's not going to bank over a certain "angle" in controlled flight, 3d helis and racing quads do that, another level of skill all together. but it most surely knows if bank angles are exceeded, if it's on it's back, etc.

Anyways I fly pretty fast and hard for a mavic mini IMO. I came from 3d helicopters so I'm definitely pushing this little mm hard sometimes and wishing it had more of course, but it satisfies. I'm concerned if I'm banking hard in sport mode I could be around 45 degrees bank or more in controlled flight. A gust hits and flips the quad, is it going to drop?

The mini is just so small. I have a mavic pros as well, and I'm way less concerned.

Last edited:
A gust hits and flips the quad, is it going to drop?
No. And if you hit a gust that is strong enough to flip the quad, you should probably second guess flying through tornadoes ;)

No. And if you hit a gust that is strong enough to flip the quad, you should probably second guess flying through tornadoes ;)
Fair enough. Appreciate the reply tyvm msinger.

Tornado huh? I might be tempted.... "Sorry Goose, but its time to buzz the tower";)

you don't need to grab it and flip it to hand recover, just let it land on your hand and it will stop naturally - forcing it over, you may notice, makes the prop speed increase, so you're putting unnecessary torque and strain on the motors.. there are plenty of videos out there showing the correct way to hand catch.

This is possible with the mavic pro but not the mavic mini unfortunately. You need to change the params for stop motors in flight, start motors in flight and auto motor disable. Mm is missing two of these params

Heli Freak, that is a cool thumbnail pic! I might have to make one of my own.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada