DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is the best practice in flying over the Sea?

That would have been 12-14 knots.

“How did you take off? The relative speed during take off would be the same of your ship’s speed away.” That’s challenging!

When the app shows a message about Weak GPS Signal, DJI really means No GPS Signal.
With Apple devices that message can show even when you have a GPS receiver that is enabled.

The main point is to reset during the flight to prevent the drone from trying to RTH to the launch point as the battery gets lower.
At sea I find that resetting to the current location of the aircraft is just as useful for that.

What mode did you set before took off with that speed?

You're welcome :)
Look forward to seeing some photos and videos over on that forum section, will certainly be different to the typical land based we normally see there.
I will and I really appreciate your feedback

One of the Best practices in flying Drone over the sea on board a ship.
The ship shouldn’t be moving or at anchor. This is what I do right now.
Plus information that I Got it on this forum!
Aircraft is in VLoS
Max Distance disabled :)
RTH on aircraft if the ship is drifting
Take off at 100 %
Land when battery is 50 %
Keep Calm
Wind Force to minimum
Plan before you take off

Thanks ? to this forum! 2CA85384-2293-4DF5-A99E-8155631FFAAD.jpeg

Reactions: hansinla and Meta4
I thought you took off from a moving ship of that Speed. It’s too risky!
When I've flown from a moving vessel, it has been slowed to 5-7 kts for the launch and recovery.
That's tricky enough.

When I've flown from a moving vessel, it has been slowed to 5-7 kts for the launch and recovery.
That's tricky enough.
One of the few situations where hand catch is recommended.
Depends on the size of your boat i guess.

Id put a "NO" post it over the RTH button

Hand Catch might be the best on a moving ship when landing. Taking off is quite a bit challenge. If you’re doing 5 kts or 2.5 m/secs that is 9kms/hour!
It’s not recommended for a newbie pilot like me :)

In p-mode,It take sometime before it compensate with the ships speed. It could even go faster once it gains momentum.
I think taking off on a dynamic home point is not yet a good idea unless you’re a real seasoned pilot:)

Drone pilots who are expert should have an inputs on this!
Thanks in advance

My Experience while still in the process in getting to know my MP. Don’t start the Drone motors out side from accommodation spaces I.E. Weather decks. When the ship has a slight roll and heave. It will take off automatically. The AC sense the downward motion of the ship, It will take off and Hover. Luckily the Ship was at anchor, There’s no relative speed. Imagine a drone taking off automatically from a 30 km/hour moving ship!

Reactions: Meta4
Luckily the Ship was at anchor, There’s no relative speed. Imagine a drone taking off automatically from a 30 km/hour moving ship!
The more I think about this, the more I see a big danger of taking off from a moving ship. If the ship is moving at 30 km/hr, the Mavic (on the deck) will also be traveling at 30 km/hr. If the pilot takes off just vertically, then the GPS in the Mavic will attempt to keep the Mavic in the same GPS horizontal position just after take off. In other words, the Mavic will attempt to quickly DECELERATE from 30 km/hr to 0 mph. In other words, from the standpoint of the pilot who is moving at 30 km/hr on the ship, the Mavic will immediately fly very quickly towards the back of the ship at 30 km/hr. In other words, if you dropped a buoy off the boat at the sametime the Mavic took off vertically (only left stick up), the drone will immediately chase after that buoy and hover over it. Can anyone confirm this behavior?

It might be better to take off in ATTI mode so that the GPS would not try and "correct" the drone's forward motion upon takeoff.

Reactions: AbUAVdC
77477Best practice: To protect the Gimbal Camera from direct hit on metal edges on deck during landing. I Just cut the cover, glued the rubber and MP have a new look ?.

776731BD1FF3A-B002-4640-83DA-E8C4942F3B02.jpeg
Just enough for take off and landing. 1.2 meters seems enough to keep away from magnetic interference. Landing is a little bit challenging when downward vision sensors are on!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike