DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is the bottom port of the controller really for?

projectarjun

Reactions
I thought I could use a longer USB-C cable and connect my iPhone from there. However, this doesn't trigger anything oddly

I thought I could use a longer USB-C cable and connect my iPhone from there. However, this doesn't trigger anything oddly
I assume you're referring to the USB-C cable at the bottom of the Air 2S type controller? In that case, that port is only for charging. If you want to attach a longer USB-C cable, you'd use the same port at the top of the controller.

I assume you're referring to the USB-C cable at the bottom of the Air 2S type controller? In that case, that port is only for charging. If you want to attach a longer USB-C cable, you'd use the same port at the top of the controller.
Thanks for confirming that. That confirms why the DJI Fly app was not recognizing my phone. 🤣

I moved to the original Smart Controller, but I remember there was a toggle switch in DJI Fly settings to trigger auto-phone charging when a phone is connected to the controller through the cradle holder. Wether or not that option is still there I’m not sure, but it certainly was an option in the past.

I moved to the original Smart Controller, but I remember there was a toggle switch in DJI Fly settings to trigger auto-phone charging when a phone is connected to the controller through the cradle holder. Wether or not that option is still there I’m not sure, but it certainly was an option in the past.
That too, but the main purpose is charging.

Reactions: projectarjun
Currently exclusive to iOS. Can't say the same about the SC though.

AFAIK, the bottom port is ONLY for charging the controller. Iphone users can toggle charging through the data port behind the cradle. Apple uses different signalling for charging through USP ports than android.

That's a waste of port for iPhone users 🤣

Like they say, don’t fix it if it ain’t broken

It can also be used as a video out, tested with a usbc to hdmi adapter and it outputs duplicate video of whats on the screen (no clean feed unfortunately from the usbc or the hdmi - all telemetry is shown). And charging of course.
Interesting, good to know!

For the Mavic Pro, at least, I have just run some tests: I connected my phone (Android) to the bottom port and the DJI app started up exactly the same as when the phone was connected to the side port. Everything seemed right. So I then connected my power bank (via USB micro) to the side port and it started charging the contoller. I then took the Mavic Pro outside and flew it as I normally do, and everything was perfect, with the controller being charged the whole time. I still have it connected this way as I write. I have just tested it again and it's working perfectly with the bottom port connected to the phone, and contolling the Mavic, while it is simultaneously being charged from my power bank connected via micro USB to the side port. This was a kind of revelation to me! It greatly enhances the way I can use the drone. It really does work.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661