DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is the last firmware without expiry date/mandatory online check-in?

timonoj

Reactions
Hi guys!

I have an old Mavic Pro I always kept for offline use. I never update it, as I believe the more up to date firmwares have "expiry" date after a while of being used offline, and require an online check from time to time. I don't want to have to do any online check at any time. So far so good, I think I'm in the ancient v1.04.0500, with the Android app in the v4.36. After the initial login, a couple of years ago, I never was requested to upgrade, and it has been kept offline since. It just checks for updates, fails, since it's offline, and that's it, I can fly.

My question would be...Which one would be the latest firmware I can update to, where all this remains the same? I don't want to be prompted a month after the update to check online, otherwise I won't be able to fly. I want to be able to just unpack the thing in the middle of nowhere, and just fly without prompts. Is this the last firmware version that allowed this?

Being discontinued the MP AC firmware is no longer being developed by DJI, what gets updated from time is the flysafe database, which might be useful if you don't want to fly in unauthorized airspace accidentally.

You'll only get prompted to update the flysafe database if your connected to the internet while using DJI Go4, so all you have to do is be offline as you already are.

With my MP1, I'm on an older firmware and have no intention of upgrading it. Everything works fine and I'm careful of no fly zones so I see no reason to upgrade her as there aren't any new features I can see that would be worth the risk.

Hello Timonoj. I do not know the answer to your specific question, but in general I agree with Malcx and would say if your FM/SW combo is working, don't mess with it. I'm still on 01.04.0000 and I have no intention to update it.

I have a Mavic Pro which has the most recent update for the AC, Controller and Go4 app. I keep my wifi off for all my flights and have never had an issue with it telling me I have to update to fly. As was said in an earlier post it will prompt you to update the flysafe data base. Last update I put on the AC was in early or mid 2019.

There can be a point though that the firmware will need to be updated to handle the newer database. It's not just the app that enforces NFZ.

Hi guys!

I have an old Mavic Pro I always kept for offline use. I never update it, as I believe the more up to date firmwares have "expiry" date after a while of being used offline, and require an online check from time to time. I don't want to have to do any online check at any time. So far so good, I think I'm in the ancient v1.04.0500, with the Android app in the v4.36. After the initial login, a couple of years ago, I never was requested to upgrade, and it has been kept offline since. It just checks for updates, fails, since it's offline, and that's it, I can fly.

My question would be...Which one would be the latest firmware I can update to, where all this remains the same? I don't want to be prompted a month after the update to check online, otherwise I won't be able to fly. I want to be able to just unpack the thing in the middle of nowhere, and just fly without prompts. Is this the last firmware version that allowed this?
v1.04.0500 is the latest firmware and it doesn’t require online check ins.

It may prompt you to update the Flysafe database but you can ignore this indefinitely.

My first ever Mavic Pro is inbound by UPS delivery at this time, and I will only ever use Litchi as the flight control software. My avoiding the use of DJI Go entirely, would I be correct in assuming that the need to update as a prerequisite of flight, goes away for me ?

I reside way out in the sticks, where no-fly zones are non existent, but in addition to that fact, I resent the thought of being chaperoned and monitored whenever I fly any drone, hence my resolve to avoid "mandatory" updates like the plague, until the cows come home.

That depends on the firmware and NFZ database already on the drone. Its not the app that stops flight, its the firmware.

Note that it wasn't until somewhere around 2018 that DJI went away from zones being just circles.

Here's hoping my "new" Mavic Pro's NFZs are woefully out of date ha ha. Then again, if the drone has been sitting unused for too long with the previous owner, the batteries might have petered out from lack of use. Keeping my fingers crossed,,

My first ever Mavic Pro is inbound by UPS delivery at this time, and I will only ever use Litchi as the flight control software. My avoiding the use of DJI Go entirely, would I be correct in assuming that the need to update as a prerequisite of flight, goes away for me ?

I reside way out in the sticks, where no-fly zones are non existent, but in addition to that fact, I resent the thought of being chaperoned and monitored whenever I fly any drone, hence my resolve to avoid "mandatory" updates like the plague, until the cows come home.
It never actually forces you to update. It strongly suggests and many people misunderstand that as being forced to update but you can ignore updates indefinitely no matter the firmware.

It will be hard to use Litchi exclusively. There are lots of settings and functions that are only controllable in DJI Go 4. You also have to use DJI Go 4 the very first time to activate the drone.

If you are out in the boonies with no airports around then you don’t have anything to worry about anyway.

Good to hear that those DJI updates are not mandatory, Brett. I had been under the impression that failure to update as commanded by DJI, meant banishment from the skies.

At least I know that my polite "Thank you, but no thank you" stance towards those ever restrictive DJI updates, will be accepted without adverse consequence to me.

Good to hear that those DJI updates are not mandatory, Brett. I had been under the impression that failure to update as commanded by DJI, meant banishment from the skies.

At least I know that my polite "Thank you, but no thank you" stance towards those ever restrictive DJI updates, will be accepted without adverse consequence to me.
They may bring those sorts of measures out in future drones, but the MP1 at least, flies with never needing a connection after activation. As long as you have batteries and don't crash it you'll be able to fly it for years!

Since you are getting a used drone it is already activated you should be able to go straight to flying Litchi.
Some of the drone's settings are not accessible from the Litchi App. As has been mentioned already. I think all of the critical ones are.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929