DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is your go to app?

xAli3Nz

Reactions
I’m those who still get butterflies in their stomach when comes to flying. This is a big investment and I just can’t imagine anything happening to it. I hope I can overcome this fear soon.
To calm myself down I always check all of these apps to make sure everything is fine. I use UAV Forecast, Windy and Drone buddy. I check for the basics, wind, rain and even the kp just to make sure it’s not that higo
These last couple of days every one them has been giving me different answers, UAV says there’s 20 mph wind when Windy states only 10. Same with the kp index and precipitation percentages.
So my question is: do you guys even check these apps before flying, if you do which one do you trust more?
I apologize for my newbie question, but we all have to learn at some point. Happy flying!

Reactions: Bob Haven
So my question is: do you guys even check these apps before flying, if you do which one do you trust more?
I have not seen a disparity between apps as large as you mention, a few MPH but you had a larger variation. No good answer
IMHO I use UAV Forecast as my primary wind tool (on the deck and at elevations) and I also use Ventusky to see what the swirl pattern looks like. I use my weather tool Weather Bug Pro also. I look closely at wind speed and gust speed

I have not seen a disparity between apps as large as you mention, a few MPH but you had a larger variation. No good answer
IMHO I use UAV Forecast as my primary wind tool (on the deck and at elevations) and I also use Ventusky to see what the swirl pattern looks like. I use my weather tool Weather Bug Pro also. I look closely at wind speed and gust speed

I enjoy UAV aswell, its the only that provides me the speed at certain altitude.
I wonder what could it be that is affecting my answers. Maybe that I’m currently outside of US in a small country in South America, but I don’t see how that’s an issue. All of them use gps.

I have used UAV Forcast for over 3 years now. One of the most reliable apps if you know how to use it. If your missing updated info in your area, Try reupdating the app. Or pay for a subscription of the service.
Everyone should try Litchi. A proven app that keeps giving.

Last edited:
I use UAV Forecast, Windy and Drone buddy. I check for the basics, wind, rain and even the kp just to make sure it’s not that high
These last couple of days every one them has been giving me different answers, UAV says there’s 20 mph wind when Windy states only 10. Same with the kp index and precipitation percentages.
The new generation have supreme faith in something if it's showing on an app but if they understood how the app comes up with the data to display, you'd realise it's not all that reliable anyway.
1st up, forget the KP index. You aren't going to get anything useful from that.
No-one has ever had a drone incident that could be attributed to flying on a high KP index day.
It's a total myth.
2nd. Forecasts are just that.
They don't tell you what the wind is doing right where you want to fly and can't take into account localised terrain etc.
Just use them as a general indication of the bigger picture of what the weather might do.

Apps of more genuine use include weather radar to show you where it's raining.
And if you are flying in coastal areas, have a look at Marinetraffic.com
Click on ships where you are flying and you can check the actual wind speed they are recording live.
That's way better than a generic forecast.

Great advice from Meta4. I use UAV Forecast. As he stated these are forecasts you still need to make your own observations once you get to where you are going to fly. It may or may not be a good day.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones