DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is your top takeoff altitude?

strider

Reactions
I guess I have a theme going here, see my sister thread: What is the lowest you have gone?

So what is your highest TAKEOFF altitude? This is not the highest you have gone from you home point (maximum being 500m), but rather the highest altitude at which you started flying. I had a chance to start flying at 9,400' a couple days ago. It was an interesting flight, it seemed the bird took longer to slow down to a stop but other than that, flight was smooth as silk! During the flight the top elevation of the bird was only about 9,800'.

I have an opportunity, MAYBE next week, to get to 10,000' pretty easily and later in the summer when the snow level has gone down I hope to hike up to 12K or 13K and give it a whirl!

So what have your experiences flying at high altitude been like?

IMG_9693.PNG

I've flown about 200' above Mount Evans, CO which is at 14,265'. That about 4409m.

I live at almost 8k feet and I always fly right out of my house. performs better than most people in the thinner air.

Am i missing a trick here? As my max altitude setting is 500m.....how are you getting above 4000m??

Id love to know as im off too Italy soon and theres some sweet mountains id like to get above :)

Am i missing a trick here? As my max altitude setting is 500m.....how are you getting above 4000m??

Id love to know as im off too Italy soon and theres some sweet mountains id like to get above :)

They are talking about the Altitude at the location you take off from. I know the language gap sometimes makes it hard to follow the conversation correctly.

The highest spot I have been to I think was about 6000ft up. I flew the Mavic up to 1600ft and surveyed other mountain peaks in the distance. When I got home and examined the video it was pretty hazy, hence why I am not an advocate for flying above 100-200ft. One time was enough to convince me the camera is just not good enough for that.

Rob

Reactions: ToonTonic
They are talking about the Altitude at the location you take off from. I know the language gap sometimes makes it hard to follow the conversation correctly.

The highest spot I have been to I think was about 6000ft up. I flew the Mavic up to 1600ft and surveyed other mountain peaks in the distance. When I got home and examined the video it was pretty hazy, hence why I am not an advocate for flying above 100-200ft. One time was enough to convince me the camera is just not good enough for that.

Rob
So is the altitude limit from the point i take off from or sea level?

Ex if i try take off from 600m above sea level on a mountain/hill, it wont just sit there laughing at me? Ill be able to fly up another 500m?

Or for example on a mountain 1000m up, take off right over cliff edge, will the mavic just drop to 500m below me?

Maybe daft questions, im just unsure ha ha

So is the altitude limit from the point i take off from or sea level?

Ex if i try take off from 600m above sea level on a mountain/hill, it wont just sit there laughing at me? Ill be able to fly up another 500m?

Or for example on a mountain 1000m up, take off right over cliff edge, will the mavic just drop to 500m below me?

Maybe daft questions, im just unsure ha ha
Max 500m from your take off position regardless of your current altitude to the sea
So if u took off from a mountain 3,000m height and ascend another 500m, u can proudly say "i ascend my drone to 3,500m ASL"
While actually u only ascend your drone to 500m from where u stand
AGL : above ground level
ASL : above sea level
I hope this clear your confusion

take off at 13 500 ft at Chamonix
Great video, I see by reading the comments you were having problems with the wind and the cold. You did a great job even though you were operating the joysticks with big gloves on. Music is relaxing for that video, allows one to soak in the scenery without being blasted. Well done, thank you for sharing

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54