DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

what kind of voodoo magic stuff is in this thing?

DJimages.BiZ

Reactions
I come from the DSLR side of things. I can not wrap my brain around 1 second photos looking sharp?? I am talking about the non-moving things like a building or rocks on a beech are in relatively good focus @ 1 second shutter?? Please know I am VERY experienced in regular photographer I know aperture vs shutter vs iso better than most. I am not looking for an education on how to take a photo.

I just can't wrap my brain around how a flying object with a camera can hold itself still enough to get a relatively sharp image at a 1 second shutter??? With my DSLR I can lock my camera down on a tripod to take a 1 second photo and the wind blows just a tad and things are out of focus.
Here is a flying object and it is able to do it.

My question I guess is more technical, so it brings me to my point of... what kind of voodoo magic sh ... stuff is in this thing?

I hope this has not been discussed and feel I put this in proper place as a discussion point.

Looking forward to adding drone photography.

The gimbal does an excellent job at keeping the camera steady. You can tell by watching a video taken from it. If you fast forward/scrub a video, then you notice a bit of jitter, but not so much at normal speed.

The image processing may also be cleaning up some of the jitter.

Raven hair and ruby lips
Sparks fly from her fingertips
Echoed voices in the night
She's a restless spirit on an endless flight
Woo hoo, witchy woman
See how high she flies
Woo hoo, witchy woman
She got the moon in her eye

I come from the DSLR side of things. I can not wrap my brain around 1 second photos looking sharp?? I am talking about the non-moving things like a building or rocks on a beech are in relatively good focus @ 1 second shutter?? Please know I am VERY experienced in regular photographer I know aperture vs shutter vs iso better than most. I am not looking for an education on how to take a photo.

I just can't wrap my brain around how a flying object with a camera can hold itself still enough to get a relatively sharp image at a 1 second shutter??? With my DSLR I can lock my camera down on a tripod to take a 1 second photo and the wind blows just a tad and things are out of focus.

My question I guess is more technical, so it brings me to my point of... what kind of voodoo magic sh ... stuff is in this thing?

I hope this has not been discussed and feel I put this in proper place as a discussion point.

Between holding position at hover and the shutter you already understand, it just does. I shoot a lot of night photos at up to 8 second exposure. Most look fine even on my 80” TV.
Just use manual controls and you’ll be fine after a bit of experimentation.
Does seem best pics are with f4.0 to f5.5. Seems to be a sweet spot for the camera.

You obviously don't use Canon L lenses with image stabilisation. ;)

Between holding position at hover and the shutter you already understand, it just does. I shoot a lot of night photos at up to 8 second exposure. Most look fine even on my 80” TV.
Just use manual controls and you’ll be fine after a bit of experimentation.
Does seem best pics are with f4.0 to f5.5. Seems to be a sweet spot for the camera.

Thank you I guess I should just keep the faith that it works ... I like it!

You obviously don't use Canon L lenses with image stabilisation. ;)

All I own are L series lens :) and to get technical... if you are locked down on tripod you need to turn off the image stabilizer!! The lens will create movement while it searches for movement and in turn the photo will not be tack sharp... feel free to google that one :) but thank you!

All I own are L series lens :) and to get technical... if you are locked down on tripod you need to turn off the image stabilizer!! The lens will create movement while it searches for movement and in turn the photo will not be tack sharp... feel free to google that one :) but thank you!

I never use auto focus or stabilisation when using a tripod - L Series lenses too.

One of the reasons for the sharp image is the wide angle lens and its very short focal length. It has an enormous depth of field much like iPhones.

Shame the lens is nowhere near as good as a DSLR lens.

Reactions: DJimages.BiZ
... what kind of voodoo magic sh ... stuff is in this thing?
It's actually more logic than magic. I bet if you frame the same 1 sec exposure with Mavic hovering next to your DSLR + 24mm lens on a tripod, some parts of the drone image will be blurred badly. However, in aerial photography with 24 mm lens, 1 sec motion blur is buried (camouflaged?) by the lack of detailed subjects. It is there, you just don't see it until you zoom way in. What you see is the background in infinity, most of the time containing nothing in particular. It may be beautiful as a whole, but the noise will keep you away from zooming more in to examine the sharpness. You're fooled by the beauty of a long exposure twilight picture, or a night city scape, where super sharp details are less relevant ...

That being said, Mavic is really good in steady hover, assuming Mother Nature willingness to cooperate ...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder (i made that up) My friends photo of the Eiffel Tower's nightly light show that was hand held with a point and shoot is far more interesting than my rock steady..tripod mounted shot of the very same event.

It helps that your subject matter is fairly far away and you're using a wide angle lens. That gives it a little bit of a margin of error, I wouldn't expect as much from a closer subject even with a "normal" lens. The subject distance gives some leeway. That being said, these are amazing machines that hold rock steady.

Reactions: Emanáku

Can I put you straight, it is not voodoo magic, everybody on this forum knows it is witchcraft.

The gimbal and a very wide angle lens. I think if you look close it's not as sharp as you think

Reactions: Emanáku
Microprocessors, advanced optics and sophisticated algorithms.
No, none of these tricks are involved in capturing the frame and baking a single JPEG or DNG file. Image stabilization (either digital or optical) may help in video, but not in still photography. Definitely not in this class of the camera ...

Last edited:
I was thinking more of Ko Ko. Same era ?

They call me the voodoo woman
I look through water and spy dry land
I tell all you men if your woman got another man

Raven hair and ruby lips
Woo hoo, witchy woman
See how high she flies
Woo hoo, witchy woman

Reactions: SmilingOgre
I have a Mavic Mini and when I did my first night shot (and there was some wind, too), I thought exactly the same thing: How can something useful come out of this with 1/2 or 1 sec exposure?
I was very surprised to see pretty good results.
This guy here even makes a panorama of a city sky line at night with a MM and HDR and 2 secs exposure
youtube.com/watch?v=9KTLyuhP_BI
As mentioned the combination of gimbal, distance and wide angle seems to do the trick :)
Good luck and lots of fun!

I was thinking more of Ko Ko. Same era ?

I tell all you men if your woman got another man
Bravo!!

Raven hair and ruby lips
Woo hoo, witchy woman
See how high she flies
Woo hoo, witchy woman
That’s weird! I was just humming Hotel C and Take it Easy and then I read your post ....... there is some hoodoo woodoo going on here .... ? ? ? ..... She’s a Black Magic Woman ...... ??? ? ? ? ?

Last edited:
Reactions: SmilingOgre
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31