DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What object should i photograph ? first time being into photos

crucx

Reactions
Hey. I am doing the first time ever in my life photos and i really stuck at finding a "object" or perspective or however you wanna call it to shoot photos with.
I got recently a mavic air and i shot some random pictures (raw) and then i got lightroom to edit them and i have learned a lot and i am ready to get SERIOUS now which is the most issue for me.

Let's say i am outside somewhere in a park. Around me there is nothing except a road and at the left of the road we have a river. At the right of the road we have grass and at the right of the grass we have some colorly apartments.
I just fly the drone like 50-70 meters high and then i shoot just a photo without focusing on any object. Without even knowing what i should shoot or what perspective (like much should i tilt the gimbal ? should i stay at the middle front of the object ? or at the front left or front right ?).

I would like to sell also my photos soon or later(i got some apps and sites where i try my luck then, but for now i need help and reviews of my photos. Right now i need to know WHAT i should photograph or how i can tell what's the most worth object in my surrounding to take a photo of...) .
I have tried to check youtube or google for hours but i found just tips about how a photo should look like and not what the OBJECT should be... nobody talks about it and i really stuck. And don't tell me "take photos of beautiful stuff". I hate when people act like humans have to be beautiful because not everyone can be beautiful and ugly people will never find love (thats another story). The same thing counts when people say "this flower is beautiful" or "this tree" or "this park is beautiful".

When i was a child, i learned that appearance never should matter. I dont know who's ugly and who not. Or what object is ugly or beautiful... i really stuck at this. I hope you understand what i am talking about

Edit: I just uploaded some photos so you can see what i have shot already. At the first 3 photos i was keep changing the perspective / angle because i wasn't even sure if the location / area is any worth it to take a photo of it.

At the 4th Photo and above, i tried my best to be creative but i dont know.

Attachments

• Photo 1.jpg
    Photo 1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 65
  • Photo 2.jpg
    Photo 2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 64
  • Photo 3.jpg
    Photo 3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 59
  • Photo 4.jpg
    Photo 4.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 59
  • Photo 5.jpg
    Photo 5.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 61
  • Photo 6.jpg
    Photo 6.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 61
  • Photo 7.jpg
    Photo 7.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Hey. I am doing the first time ever in my life photos and i really stuck at finding a "object" or perspective or however you wanna call it to shoot photos with.
I got recently a mavic air and i shot some random pictures (raw) and then i got lightroom to edit them and i have learned a lot and i am ready to get SERIOUS now which is the most issue for me.

Let's say i am outside somewhere in a park. Around me there is nothing except a road and at the left of the road we have a river. At the right of the road we have grass and at the right of the grass we have some colorly apartments.
I just fly the drone like 50-70 meters high and then i shoot just a photo without focusing on any object. Without even knowing what i should shoot or what perspective (like much should i tilt the gimbal ? should i stay at the middle front of the object ? or at the front left or front right ?).

I would like to sell also my photos soon or later(i got some apps and sites where i try my luck then, but for now i need help and reviews of my photos. Right now i need to know WHAT i should photograph or how i can tell what's the most worth object in my surrounding to take a photo of...) .
I have tried to check youtube or google for hours but i found just tips about how a photo should look like and not what the OBJECT should be... nobody talks about it and i really stuck. And don't tell me "take photos of beautiful stuff". I hate when people act like humans have to be beautiful because not everyone can be beautiful and ugly people will never find love (thats another story). The same thing counts when people say "this flower is beautiful" or "this tree" or "this park is beautiful".

When i was a child, i learned that appearance never should matter. I dont know who's ugly and who not. Or what object is ugly or beautiful... i really stuck at this. I hope you understand what i am talking about

Edit: I just uploaded some photos so you can see what i have shot already. At the first 3 photos i was keep changing the perspective / angle because i wasn't even sure if the location / area is any worth it to take a photo of it.

If you see something you feel would be worth showing to others and you would like to see it again, share it! If it's one of those shots you never look for again in your library, I'd not bother. Just my opinion...

@crucx - Right up front I am not a photographer.

If you plan on selling your photos check with the people to see what they want photographed. What you may think is the most photogenic scene possible it may be something the prospect client has no interest in.

If you plan on just randomly selling your photos to whomever IMHO I think nice landscape/sunset type photos is where I would start. Maybe YouTube doesn't offer what you're looking for but have you checked your local library for books on photo composition, etc.

Good luck with your endeavor

Reactions: crucx
Right now i need to know WHAT i should photograph or how i can tell what's the most worth object in my surrounding to take a photo of...) .

i found just tips about how a photo should look like and not what the OBJECT should be... nobody talks about it
... don't tell me "take photos of beautiful stuff".
You are asking little questions about a really big topic.
It's not something you can just learn in a couple of weeks.
It's not something you can get from a few tips and pointers.
There's a whole world of composition, camera position, lighting, the technical aspects of exposure.
It could take years to master just the technical aspects.

It's not a matter of what to photograph.
If it was that simple, we'd all just shoot the magic subject that would make a great picture.
You can shoot the most interesting or attractive subject and still end up with a boring pic.
You still have to understand the difference between taking a photo and making a picture.

This topic is too big and too complicated and you should not expect to get the simple answers to make you a good photographer making good pictures.
About the best I can suggest is that you lower your expectations and start looking at lots of photographs (good and bad) and think about why they are good or bad.

Here's a site where you can see a lot of drone photos:
Lots are not very good, some are good and a few are great.

I like the answers here, specially the last one. Thanks :).

Note about selling: in most countries, specifically USA, you can't fly for the specific purpose of gathering photos/videos for commercial purposes. You need a commercial UAS certification for that.
Now if you were flying and gathering photos for fun and later someone was interested in it, that's different. Not trying to start a war, just pointing out what OP may be unaware since it was mentioned to take photos one would be willing to pay for.

Reactions: PoonDog and crucx
Wow i didn't know that either. But i think thats just a US law. I am living in germany so i think i should be fine. Really weird that people there need a certification lol.

Photos are all about light and shadow . youir pictures ar good, but you should work on diffrent angles and, possably getting a little closer. also, take a lot of pictures of the subject you choose then pick the best to edit. I personally try to compose the picture and try to edit as little as possable.

I just look for interesting patterns and terrains. One of my most interesting photos is attached. It's a shopping center parking lot from 400 feet above. I was actually getting ready to land and still had the video on. When I reviewed the footage I snipped out this photo. I have no idea why the cars were so oddly spaced. I always review all the footage I shot looking for accidental gems.

The pano spheres I have taken are also very popular on Facebook. See my gallery here: Capital Sky Eye on Kuula

Mavic 2 Pro. It's a camera.

Attachments

• Owings Mills Parking.jpg
    Owings Mills Parking.jpg
    9 MB · Views: 39

Photo 6 is the best.

Your question doesn’t really have a clear answer apart from finding subjects you are interested in and that you will want to go back to later and not file them away.

Attachments

• BA270A44-CC3E-4814-BA1F-8D47903B436F.jpeg
    BA270A44-CC3E-4814-BA1F-8D47903B436F.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 21
  • 99F32D8D-5645-4836-99B6-C65FBEF67DB9.jpeg
    99F32D8D-5645-4836-99B6-C65FBEF67DB9.jpeg
    194.7 KB · Views: 19
Wow thanks for all these useful tips.

Special thanks to @PoonDog and @CapitalSkyEye, thats what i was looking for. The most people basically tell me "its hard to tell what picture you should do. It's not really about the subject.." still i didn't know what they mean. But lights and shadows ? now where i look for lights and shadows on pictures made by others, i know what you all are talking about. Now i can see the differences between their and my pictures :).

Also i like the tip with looking for interesting patterns and terains. It will be still a bit hard for me but by time i should get some use to it. My biggest issue is, once i found a subject, i don't know how high i should fly and in most cases there are some other objects around the edge of the picture and i dont know should i change the drones position to get them out of the picture or to get them completly in the picture too ? or should i just take now the photo and ignore it ?

For example when you look at my 6th Photo. Look at the bottom left. You can see this one car. I was asking my self "should the car be completly in the picture or should i go closer so i dont see the car anymore ?" but i landed up with just ignoring it and the result was that you see the car half haha.

Also i use the grid function, but to be honest, i dont know how it works exactly. I guess the subject should be in the middle box.Should it fit the entire middle box ? or should the subjeect be smaller in middle of the box ? or more at left or right or what. So many questions.
The same counts for the car. Should it fit the bottom left box or should i go closer till i dont see the car anymore. But as i said, i will learn all that hopefully.

Wow thanks for all these useful tips.

Special thanks to @PoonDog and @CapitalSkyEye, thats what i was looking for. The most people basically tell me "its hard to tell what picture you should do. It's not really about the subject.." still i didn't know what they mean. But lights and shadows ? now where i look for lights and shadows on pictures made by others, i know what you all are talking about. Now i can see the differences between their and my pictures :).

Also i like the tip with looking for interesting patterns and terains. It will be still a bit hard for me but by time i should get some use to it. My biggest issue is, once i found a subject, i don't know how high i should fly and in most cases there are some other objects around the edge of the picture and i dont know should i change the drones position to get them out of the picture or to get them completly in the picture too ? or should i just take now the photo and ignore it ?

For example when you look at my 6th Photo. Look at the bottom left. You can see this one car. I was asking my self "should the car be completly in the picture or should i go closer so i dont see the car anymore ?" but i landed up with just ignoring it and the result was that you see the car half haha.

Also i use the grid function, but to be honest, i dont know how it works exactly. I guess the subject should be in the middle box.Should it fit the entire middle box ? or should the subjeect be smaller in middle of the box ? or more at left or right or what. So many questions.
The same counts for the car. Should it fit the bottom left box or should i go closer till i dont see the car anymore. But as i said, i will learn all that hopefully.

You can crop your photos to improve the composition. In photo 6 I would have cropped the top and the bottom slightly to remove the half cars. Your photo 6 is a good picture, it just needed a little help after the camera. Post production is an integral part of photography. I use Power Director 17 for video and Photo Director 10 for photos along with an old version of Photoshop.

When I do my spherical photos I take three of them at each location... at 200 feet, 300 feet, and 400 feet. Then I look at all 3 and decide which one shows the right amount of detail or the right amount area view. I did one last night and used a traffic circle as the focal point. If there were two traffic circles I might have positioned the drone between them as the focal point. I selected the 300 foot level to publish.

My advice is only of marginal value since I have never been a professional photographer. In my experience its been... take a lot of pictures, some will come out great. It is rare that I will set up for a photo that I know is going to come out great. Instead its nearly always wow! look at what the camera saw

Mavic 2 Pro. It's a camera.

I guess the subject should be in the middle box. Should it fit the entire middle box ? or should the subjeect be smaller in middle of the box ? or more at left or right or what.
You can find plenty of resources online to start learning the basics of photography including composition.
Composition is just one of many important things that can go towards making a good picture.
You probably won't get the best image composition by putting your main subject in the centre and the image might look rather uninteresting.
Here's a starter to get you thinking of some basic composition ideas to make your photos better to look at.

I think that photography is like any art. We all see different things around us, and the great artists are the ones that can paint, draw, compose or photograph something that really captures a moment and that others find appealing.
So I think you question is like asking what song I should write or what should I paint. There is no real answer I think. I think the most mundane thing can be photographed to look fantastic while the most amazing scene could be photographed to look plain. Not sure it’s something you can really learn from just reading and watching YouTube. Get out and photograph what you like. Play with it and put it out there (like the great pics you have already posted) and see what critiques you get.

The uploaded examples would be interesting if you knew the area, otherwise there's limited appeal.
Having said that commercial premises might appreciate a good aerial shot showing their site to best advantage - usually from the front rather than something messy or boring behind!

If just starting out in a more serious way as someone mentioned you gain a lot from looking at the work of others - and your own - in a critical way. What could be better, what works well what do you like.
It's not about copying so much as developing your own style.

After spending some time trying to make worthwhile shots of your local area you would likely find travelling to somewhere new, armed with your experience very stimulating. One of the best things about photography is seeing places in a different and more appreciative way.

How experienced are you as a photographer? If you're completely new to it all then as @Meta4 for suggests in the post above you need to learn the basics and they're the same regardless as to whether it is terrestrial or aerial photography.

No camera, whether attached to a drone or not, takes a good or bad photo. The photographer does that bit - the camera is just a tool.

Once you have an eye for an interesting photo you'll be able to spot one when flying however the great thing about digital photography is that there is no cost to experimenting. So keep flying and keep shooting and the technical ability will come.

Thank you guys. I have never shot any photos before and i never liked to watch at photos cuz i hate art etc. I am doing this just to learn something and maybe get some income one day by it.

I just went out without reading your comment @CapitalSkyEye and i actually came on the same idea by my own. I did only 2 photos at different heights. But i think 3 would be better.
I think i am not able to share these 2 shots for now anyways since you can see people and their faces (they were looking straight at my drone hahaha and i didnt even realized that there are people in front of the camera since my phone is so small ... i was looking the whole time on the camera and i saw no people at all. I really need a better phone or something i think but i have no money for now)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead