DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What object should i photograph ? first time being into photos

Thank you guys. I have never shot any photos before and i never liked to watch at photos cuz i hate art etc. I am doing this just to learn something
Here's another site for you that has some interesting and useful things to think about:

Reactions: crucx
Thank you guys. I have never shot any photos before and i never liked to watch at photos cuz i hate art etc. I am doing this just to learn something and maybe get some income one day by it.

I just went out without reading your comment @CapitalSkyEye and i actually came on the same idea by my own. I did only 2 photos at different heights. But i think 3 would be better.
I think i am not able to share these 2 shots for now anyways since you can see people and their faces (they were looking straight at my drone hahaha and i didnt even realized that there are people in front of the camera since my phone is so small ... i was looking the whole time on the camera and i saw no people at all. I really need a better phone or something i think but i have no money for now)

I too am rubbish at art but would count myself pretty proficient at photography. Just get in lots of practice - you've no doubt got a camera on your phone, if you see a scene that looks interesting take a photo. Then review it on a full sized screen and see if it worked. If it did try and work out what you like about it and if not see if you can judge what went wrong.

Look at other people's photos on here and places like 500px (500px is a little bit like Instagram for semi-pros / pros) and again work out what you like and what you don't like.

As with any skill it takes time to develop your skills but the first lesson I would give you is about light. Light is 80% of a good photo - it is everything. Lot's of people talk about 'the golden hour' - that is the sweet spot just after sunrise and just before sunset (in particular) as this is considered the best light.

This is largely true but the differing light at different times of the year throughout the daylight hours all have an impact - positive or negative - on a scene.

Say hello to my biggest creation.
I shot this picture a few days ago and it looked very grayish and to "bright" and so on. I have edited it all manually, even the colors by my own. I finished my work on this picture just now and i feel like this is the best picture i made so far. Atleast i think the subject and the work on it made it so good but i could be wrong. For me it looks better than the old pictures that i had posted

Attachments

• Between rivers.jpg
    Between rivers.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 12
Reactions: Thomas B
Maybe i was too fast with that picture above ... i was flying just now my drone again, and i realized a green light or spot on the camera which was caused by the sun. I got the ideaa to gain some altitude and take a photo of the sun and once i got that picture, i started editing it in lightroom. The whole picture was bright and you couldn't see the sun at all and no clouds at all. The skies were completly gray. I tried the auto optimization but even that had no good results.

So i started adjusting it by my own. I was only focusing at the sun while changing the settings. And at some other settings i realized that the clouds get better visible or the sky gets more blue so i started focusing at the sun + skies and clouds. At the end, it looked really good and when i looked at the picture, i got another idea. Since i was focusing at the sun, skies and clouds while i was editing it, i got the idea to make the whole picture dark except the skies, sun and clouds. I dont know if that was a good idea but i think my theory was not a bad idea at all.
The sun was going down and funny thing is, it was 7PM and i even didn't know the sun is going down or that i could take a photo of the sun (and even if i would think to take a photo of the sun, i wouldn't do it probably because i would think that the subject / sun is not worth or any special at all) . I wasn't realizing all that since i was to focused on "finding a subject" till i saw this green light and there it started hahaha.

This is awesome. Well the picture could be too dark since i focused only at the complete sky at the end. But doesn't that makes the picture special ? Maybe i am just dumb and think everything that i shoot, is great...

Attachments

• Sunset.jpg
    Sunset.jpg
    909.9 KB · Views: 10
Maybe i was too fast with that picture above ... i was flying just now my drone again, and i realized a green light or spot on the camera which was caused by the sun. I got the ideaa to gain some altitude and take a photo of the sun and once i got that picture, i started editing it in lightroom. The whole picture was bright and you couldn't see the sun at all and no clouds at all. The skies were completly gray. I tried the auto optimization but even that had no good results.

So i started adjusting it by my own. I was only focusing at the sun while changing the settings. And at some other settings i realized that the clouds get better visible or the sky gets more blue so i started focusing at the sun + skies and clouds. At the end, it looked really good and when i looked at the picture, i got another idea. Since i was focusing at the sun, skies and clouds while i was editing it, i got the idea to make the whole picture dark except the skies, sun and clouds. I dont know if that was a good idea but i think my theory was not a bad idea at all.
The sun was going down and funny thing is, it was 7PM and i even didn't know the sun is going down or that i could take a photo of the sun (and even if i would think to take a photo of the sun, i wouldn't do it probably because i would think that the subject / sun is not worth or any special at all) . I wasn't realizing all that since i was to focused on "finding a subject" till i saw this green light and there it started hahaha.

This is awesome. Well the picture could be too dark since i focused only at the complete sky at the end. But doesn't that makes the picture special ? Maybe i am just dumb and think everything that i shoot, is great...
Maybe shoot pics in several different manual settings, then compare. Your idea was great, however fixing on the sun may have cost you a lot of rich colors in the sky.

Thanks for the comment. Now i know that i am on the right way.

Edit: Thanks for the tip by the way. I forgot about the color honestly. This is the new result. But now the river looks kinda like black white but i hope it is still fine haha. I like this picture more. It shows more yellow.

Attachments

• Sunset fixed.jpg
    Sunset fixed.jpg
    971.6 KB · Views: 8
I went out with my drone just now but when i arrived at my new location, it started to rain and i didnt try to fly the drone. I was scared to damage it and i heard that it is not recommended to fly in rain etc. so i wont risk it :).

Anyways. I got the idea to use my phone with a special app which shoots raw / dng files and since i learned a bit about photography, i really got inspired so i decided to do some photos with my phone. I went to a bench to sit down and set up my new app on my phone. After i was ready, a bee flew next to my right hand and sit down in front of my index finger. I moved my right hand away to grab the phone with two hands to take the shot without even thinking... and guess what... that bee got scared of that movement and flew away. Also in that moment i realized that i could make a photo of a squirrel on the roads because when i arrived at my location, i saw a squirrel trying to pass the road. So i went back to the road but the squirrel was gone. I went back to the bench and saw a sitting brown fly and took a photo of it :).

On the way back home, i took a stop under a tree and started taking a photo of the leafs above. Now i am home and edited the photos a bit and this is the result.

At the first photo i used the auto enhance function in lightroom. The second photo got manually edited by my own :).

Same counts for the next 2 pictures (now where i see the two last pictures side by side, i realized the too dark background on the last picture. I think i should make it blue / bright again hm).
I always wondered why these "nature" pictures on sites where you sell / buy photos, look more green than they usually are in real life. They all got edited. I even didn't know what will happen if i add a lot of green while the leafs are green already ... they got way brighter like those pictures you see in other sites and i figured all that out RANDOMLY by trying out all the different settings in lightroom. This is great.

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 7
  • Auto Enhanced.jpg
    Auto Enhanced.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • Self made.jpg
    Self made.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
I always wondered why these "nature" pictures on sites where you sell / buy photos, look more green than they usually are in real life. They all got edited. I even didn't know what will happen if i add a lot of green while the leafs are green already ... they got way brighter like those pictures you see in other sites and i figured all that out RANDOMLY by trying out all the different settings in lightroom. This is great.
The pictures you are thinking of look different because the photographers understand lighting and use it effectively.
Your photo doesn't look like that because you have leaves in dull light against a brighter sky.
Pumping them full of green doesn't make them look real.

Lighting is one of the most important aspects in photography.
Good lighting can make the difference between average images and great images.
Not understanding how lighting works can make a potentially great image just average.
But it can take a lot of experience to learn how to use the light to help create great pictures.

Thanks. Yeah i always have too low light when i edit my pictures by my own cuz i think its enough already haha. I have to work on that really

I like the answers here, specially the last one. Thanks :).
I have tried to check youtube or google for hours but i found just tips about how a photo should look like and not what the OBJECT should be... nobody talks about it and i really stuck. And don't tell me "take photos of beautiful stuff". I hate when people act like humans have to be beautiful because not everyone can be beautiful and ugly people will never find love (thats another story). The same thing counts when people say "this flower is beautiful" or "this tree" or "this park is beautiful".

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead