DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What (on Win10) does the "CacheClip" folder contain, do and how do I manage it?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
This morning I got a warning message noting that my C drive was almost full. I had upgraded drives within the last few weeks, moving the old 500GB drive to backup/storage and migrating everything that had been on that drive to the new 1TB C drive.

When I got the warning it had a "manage drive" (or some sort) option and I clicked it. It gook me to the Videos folder where, upon clicking on the properties menu it said that that individual folder had 1TB of data stored on it. Being in the middle of the project, I deleted the files that I though might have nothing to do with current projects, and so far no glitches. BUT WHAT EXACTLY IS THE CacheClip FOLDER, HOW DOES IT FUNCTION, and how can I keep from creating a problem for myself by not deleting needed data that lives there???? TIA

Do you use Resolve to edit video? Quick searching suggests that this directory is created by Resolve, and if you are not currently editing, can be safely deleted. Reference.

Resolve is not the only video editing program that can create large caches of temporary files in obscure locations--I've seen it with an old version of Premiere Pro. As part of routine drive maintenance, I use the free program WinDirStat to visualize the contents of my hard drives and help me see large files and directories, which can then be considered for possible deletion.

Do you use Resolve to edit video? Quick searching suggests that this directory is created by Resolve, and if you are not currently editing, can be safely deleted. Reference.

Resolve is not the only video editing program that can create large caches of temporary files in obscure locations--I've seen it with an old version of Premiere Pro. As part of routine drive maintenance, I use the free program WinDirStat to visualize the contents of my hard drives and help me see large files and directories, which can then be considered for possible deletion.
Thank you so much. Yeah... I use Davinci Resolve. When working on projects I tend to use the generate optimized media command for smoother playback, which I assume that's what a lot of that is. Between the earlier deletion and the one that's going on now, it's over 1TB of data that I'm ditching. I noticed some sluggishness on my computer today and and can only assume that the work I've done in the last few days has pushed the drive to the brink. Hopefully nothing that's needed will be deleted.

Thank you so much. Yeah... I use Davinci Resolve. When working on projects I tend to use the generate optimized media command for smoother playback, which I assume that's what a lot of that is. Between the earlier deletion and the one that's going on now, it's over 1TB of data that I'm ditching. I noticed some sluggishness on my computer today and and can only assume that the work I've done in the last few days has pushed the drive to the brink. Hopefully nothing that's needed will be deleted.

The timeline is always being rendered in the background whenever you’re making any changes through the Edit, Colour & Fusion pages. The rendered clips are saved to the cache for real-time playback.

You can delete the cache from the Playback menu -> Delete Render Cache -> All... or Unused. All will delete all cached rendered clips for the current project. Unused will only delete those no longer used in the currently open project. Once deleted if a clip needs to be rerendered it will happen in the background.

If you look in File -> Project Settings -> Master Settings you’ll see the ‘Working Folders’ that shows the path to your CacheClip folder.

Last edited:
Just giving the folder name doesn't help diagnose your Windows 10 problem.
Providing the full path of the folder would tell you what's responsible.

The timeline is always being rendered in the background whenever you’re making any changes through the Edit, Colour & Fusion pages. The rendered clips are saved to the cache for real-time playback.

You can delete the cache from the Playback menu -> Delete Render Cache -> All... or Unused. All will delete all cached rendered clips for the current project. Unused will only delete those no longer used in the currently open project. Once deleted if a clip needs to be rerendered it will happen in the background.

If you look in File -> Project Settings -> Master Settings you’ll see the ‘Working Folders’ that shows the path to your CacheClip folder.
Thanks. Davinci Resolve is a whole lotta program. So much to learn. I have a tutorial up playing on my other computer as we speak. I'm coming to realize that every program calls functions by slightly different names. So before you can hunt for whatever it is you need, you need to know what they call it first. As an example, something I just saw moments ago, you can create custom columns in the media pool or bins. So you right click to bring up a list of column attributes to select which you want and deselect unwanted columns. To me, logic would tell you that you would then SAVE the custom list. But in Davinci- no. The command at the top of the list is "Create Colmn Layout". But, isn't that what I've already done and now I'm wanting to save it? And that's just one of the minor differences that we get from program to program. What the world needs is a conference to create and mandate universal terms in software :). Sorry for the digression.

Reactions: SkyeHigh
Just giving the folder name doesn't help diagnose your Windows 10 problem.
Providing the full path of the folder would tell you what's responsible.
In most situations I would agree. But Jubjub Bird and SkyeHigh didn't seem to need any more information. I guess if you use Resolve its the first thing to assume as there are a lot of us who have adopted this NLE. I just freed up almost 700GB of space by deleting the sub folders in there without doing anything else.

There are certainly a few quirks. Wait until you start getting your head around Fusion!

There’s a logic to compositing in Fusion but it takes a while for it to sink in. It is immensely powerful but without the downloadable manual you’ll be going around in circles. It is very different to Adobe After Effects.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biggej