DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What order are you turning everything on?

That's what I remember from DJI. Different from Phantoms where u are cautioned never to turn on Phantoms without controller switched on first. I thought it peculiar BUT that's the Mavic sequence.
Counter to Previous DJI's and Yuneec's
Weird BUT true
Really? Drone first huh?

I am 80 years old and have been known to have "false memories" BUT this was so counter intuitive that it stuck in my craw
Also I am not one of the lucky few who have a Mavic in hand [order not yet fulfilled] so take this with a GRAIN OF SALT.

Reactions: JoshuaCarlton
My RC flying habits die hard. Never run a machine without the transmitter on. I knowbthe mavic is differnt then a 100" gas aircraft but just dont feel right having it on with out something keeping positive control.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: halley
That's what I remember from DJI. Different from Phantoms where u are cautioned never to turn on Phantoms without controller switched on first. I thought it peculiar BUT that's the Mavic sequence.
Counter to Previous DJI's and Yuneec's
Weird BUT true

So I pulled up the Mavic Manual and a quick skim through showed the order to be controller, bird, app. See pages 36 and 52. Page 52 deals with this issue specifically.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

The issue isn't so much sequence of connectivity, but control signals, It is always good for the quad to have a control host available when it powers up, that way it won't be subject to outside signals so much, remember it is designed to fly up to RTH if it doesn't have a controller connected, and we wouldn't want any accidents. That is why I never mount props indoors for any reason, always turn the Mavic on last and off first. The only true safety on this thing is between the Pilots ears.

Reactions: jerryflah
You can find the recommended DJI takeoff/landing procedure on page 52 of the users manual. It recommends the following order:
  1. Turn on remote
  2. Turn on Mavic
  3. Open DJI Go 4 app
However as people have said, it seems to work in most combinations.

My RC flying habits die hard. Never run a machine without the transmitter on. I knowbthe mavic is differnt then a 100" gas aircraft but just dont feel right having it on with out something keeping positive control.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using MavicPilots mobile app
I'm the same way. I used to fly RC helis with dreams of one day having a DSLR set up, and learned early on the transmitter is the first thing you turn on. I never got my skills up enough to strap a huge cam on a helicopter though. All the hours I spend learning to fly heli's has greatly helped in getting up to speed on the Mavic. This thing is insanely stable.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: halley
Well I think this has been beaten to death already and it seems the recommended procedure is RC -> Mavic - App (which loads automatically for me) even though several methods seem to work. I will say though that the RC controllers on today's equipment is nothing like the RC equipment from probably 10+ years ago. Nowadays they are paired to each other but "back in the day" I remember it being frequency paired and 2 people on same frequency would cause issues and reason for a tag showing your frequency. Nowadays the spectrum is shared and the signal hops from channel to channel as needed, with paring being the connecting method between the radios.

Well, thanks for all the info, I found that I was just doing it to fast, I am sticking with what the manual says, and doing remote then bird then app. I just wait about 10 seconds between and let everything communicate with each other. Seems to be working well.

I'm the same way. I used to fly RC helis with dreams of one day having a DSLR set up, and learned early on the transmitter is the first thing you turn on. I never got my skills up enough to strap a huge cam on a helicopter though. All the hours I spend learning to fly heli's has greatly helped in getting up to speed on the Mavic. This thing is insanely stable.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MavicPilots mobile app

This is how it was always done, back in "my day". It was like rule #0 you never power the car (in my case way back when) without the transmitter on already sending the proper signals. Or what you just might get is a run away buggy. Then when all the 2.4ghz binding type radios came out, and I got into spectrum based helis, that same procedure never failed me. Now with the Phantoms and Mavic (yet to arrive), it is/will be the same way. Unless it just refuses to connect like that, that is what I'll do.

In DJI's case with the smartphone in the picture, I turn on the TX, pause, then power the drone, wait for it to startup, then connect the phone usb cable and it prompts me to start DJI GO, press "allow", done deal.

I'm always TX, APP then bird. It works pretty consistently. If it doesn't connect I disconnect the cable and reconnect..... bingo.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: Wacker2611
The issue isn't so much sequence of connectivity, but control signals, It is always good for the quad to have a control host available when it powers up, that way it won't be subject to outside signals so much, remember it is designed to fly up to RTH if it doesn't have a controller connected, and we wouldn't want any accidents. That is why I never mount props indoors for any reason, always turn the Mavic on last and off first. The only true safety on this thing is between the Pilots ears.
Well said. Sorry for any misinformation I may have fomented. I plan to follow Standard procedures. Happily corrected. Thank you.

1) Connect cable from controller to ipad or iphone
2) Open DJI GO 4 app
3) Turn on controller
4) Turn on Mavic

Side note: I've done, and still do, the same sequence with my P3P

My mavic pro is only 1 day old and I have everything updated and charged, However when I turn everything on in the order I always did with my phantoms ( Remote, Bird , and last the app on the phone) the DJi go 4 app comes up and shows disconnected. If I unplug the cable from the side of the remote and plug it back in, the camera view comes up. Any ideas?
Controller - App - Mavic. That way you are in control of your bird. Not that it would probably ever happen but, to turn on your Mavic first; you have no control of it if if wanted to fly away without you.

I second that order- Controller - App - Mavic.
It works consistently for me and is connected within 5-10 seconds.

Reactions: JustPlainJay
This works for me.

Start phone

Start Remote Control

Start Mavic

Tap Go Fly

Start video

Auto takeoff

Check home point on the map

Adjust exposure

Adjust Gimble

Focus on distant object (infinite)

It's standard procedure and right in the manual to power on the RC first and aircraft after. As others have mentioned, this is so the aircraft is not searching for a connection and potentially connecting with something other than the controller. With DSM and other spread spectrum RC aircraft, the Tx is always powered on first - so this is habit for most of us that came from flying other RC aircraft.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky