DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What phone or qrysyalsky 5.5

Billpro

Reactions
Hi all
Could someone please advise me either to get a qrysytalsky 5.5 or Samsung note 8? Only new to this but loving it and my iPhone 6s is to small and battery doesn’t last very long anymore..
Both new items are going to cost around the same so some advice would be great
Cheers

Or could go with an iPad mini 4th generation. DJI says its built for Apple. And out of the 3 it's the biggest display. As for CrystalSky, if you go that route, I saw somewhere it can now run 3rd party apps such as Litchi. But to do that you must first download Amazon app store, not the Google play store.

Reactions: Paulf10
Or could go with an iPad mini 4th generation. DJI says its built for Apple. And out of the 3 it's the biggest display. As for CrystalSky, if you go that route, I saw somewhere it can now run 3rd party apps such as Litchi. But to do that you must first download Amazon app store, not the Google play store.
Cool thanks for your help

Reactions: freightshaker
I know in most cases it's a sponsor thing. Many cars for example will have X oil or Y gasoline recommended, electronics will have Z batteries recommended. And I'm sure the CrystalSky works flawlessly, I myself prefer Android, which is what CS runs but they like most alter Android for their device. DJI has pretty much left it pure without all those additional apps like Kindle, Smart Office, NFL etc. And to their credit they're finally allowing 3rd party app so now you can add Litchi for example. My thing was I tried my Galaxy S10+ & even in Airplane mode still had disturbances pop up. So I used my retired S7 edge after stripping everything off I could. And it worked fine having a dedicated device. Problems were the sun & glare, so a sunshade helped with that but the screen was too small for me, I'm not a youngster. So then I used a dedicated Galaxy Tab 2. Then that had the infamous connection issues. Found two fixes, the first was simply leave it off until last. IE power up drone & controller, have it connected & then turn on The Tab. That works fine but I worried if the Tab crashed or something. So solution 2, Developer mode USB 3 cable. That coupled with using the second port (which is not on the Spark controller) on my Air then MPP and it works except I started getting video breaking up. First I thought it was a transmission problem, but even happens at 20 feet. Turns out the Tab doesn't have enough horsepower to run the video cache. Turned it off & it works flawlessly. But I wasn't happy not having any cache. Got a 6th Generation iPad & it works flawlessly right from the get go.
Problem is on the MPP is that my Neewer mount (same as Mavmount) positions the iPad right over the display of the controller. So then got a different mount that holds it over the antennas which works great but makes it a little awkward after awhile. So now for the conclusion to this saga, I'm waiting on an iPad Mini 4. The IM4 fits perfectly on the controllers with no modifications needed, no mounts, pretty much like a regular phone.
My recommendations: If you want to spend the money for a 7" CrystalSky then that's a great choice, get the Amazon app store on it & download Litchi. If you want something for around $125 - $200 get a iPad Mini 4 with wifi+cellular (cellular has the GPS). If you want a large 9.7" Display get a iPad 6th generation with Wifi+cellular.
For the larger display a Mavmount or similar works great but for the MP, MPP, MP2 & MPZ it will visually block the controllers display.
Well that's my $1.02 opinion. I apologize for the length but thought I help others from my mistakes.
“Built for Apple” is an Apple logo that just means “will work with”.
I love my 7.85” CS.

Huawei MediaPad M5 for Android is a good from what others have said. iPad Mini 4 wifi+cellular is a great choice from what others are saying. I've been using a Galaxy Tab 2 with video cache turned off or the iPad 6th gen but with the MPP controller the 9.7 tablets are awkward for my personal tastes, I'm waiting on my iPad Mini 4 as we speak. It fits perfectly where you put the phone w/o modification & it's bigger than a Galaxy 7 edge, 8, 9 or 10.
Are those the only two options you're considering? If not, you can find some others here:

Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO (Updated Daily)

I have the CrystalSky 5.5, an iPhone 10R, and an iPad mini. In my opinion only, I prefer the iPhone mini. I base this mostly on the simplicity of use. To put that in perspective I’m really pretty lazy and like to keep things simple. Also I do like the bigger screen, but that is not my main consideration.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliassmith02