DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What portable power back specification do I need to charge MM batteries while hiking?

TDZHDTV

Reactions
For those of you familiar with the UK I plan do do some winter wild camping in the Lake District soon. What spec do I need to look for in order to charge 1/ 2 or even 3 batteries? Any suggestions or recommendations? Many thanks

QC compatible charger or power bank that can output at least 18W preferably but regular 5V charger would work, though slower.

Reactions: Odde
I'd personally go with my RavPower 20100mAh QC charger. They are often £30 or so on Amazon and you'd charge your phone, the remote and three batteries with this.
Remember the remote WILL charge your phone so you'll need to charge the remote too.

Annoyingly its more expensive now but this would do what you're after

Reactions: TDZHDTV
There aren’t many small portable power banks out there that have more power than the MM batteries you’re carrying. An auto jump starter with a USB outlet, or a small motorcycle battery with an AC inverter. Most inverters have USB onboard. Then you could use the DJI charger. Sorry, that’s still heavy but all I can think of. Good luck.

Jump starter USB wouldn't likely be QC though.
Only Androids drain RC. App is able to block that with iOS.

Jump starter USB wouldn't likely be QC though.
Only Androids drain RC. App is able to block that with iOS.

Good point. Either way you'll still need power to charge the remote and your phone. You'll get a little bit less loss but you'll need need to charge stuff up.

We used AC inverters running off of our ship batteries on all vessels. The USB ports on the inverters were used to charge all portable electronics. So I know the motorcycle batt, inverter combo, would work. Never tried the USB on a jump starter before but it’s got to be the same but with a big lipo batt/ inverter inside. IMO
Good luck and have fun on your trip. Bring back vids.

After a quick 100% -> 3% battery test I checked how much power it took to charge the battery and it was just shy of 19Wh
The Ravpower 20100mAh packs are rated at 72Wh. This means you could charge all three batteries but you'd not have enough juice left to charge your phone or remote.
I honestly reckon if you had a 20100mAh pack you'd get a full run through your pre-charged three cells, your remote would need charging and soon enough so would your phone. That'd probably knock you down to half a battery left. You might then charge another two cells so you'd get a full 5 flights at a guess.

Reactions: TDZHDTV and Capt KO
I'd personally go with my RavPower 20100mAh QC charger. They are often £30 or so on Amazon and you'd charge your phone, the remote and three batteries with this.
Remember the remote WILL charge your phone so you'll need to charge the remote too.

Annoyingly its more expensive now but this would do what you're after
Hi Chris, would this power back do the job?

Attachments

• E01890E8-039E-4625-91C0-AE5E226F6EEB.png
    E01890E8-039E-4625-91C0-AE5E226F6EEB.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
Technically yes it should be fine but I don't know the brand. I've used Anker and RavPower for years and trust them completely. Saying that you could currently buy two of the poweradd ones for not much more than one RavPower and in your situation I'd do that. They'll also charge up nice and quickly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803