DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What should be my next drone , need toir advice

Cuttack OB

Reactions
Hi All,
I have read many topics here and I find it is really useful .

I am using a mavic mini now.My use is mostly in urban areas and for recreation purpose.

I would like to have your advice to buy a new drone with good range and of course battery life, I was considering mavic 2 enterprise

I wouldn't recommend Enterprise for recreational use. It has some bells and whistles but also some items missing that you'd get with Zoom or Pro. It's also a lot more expensive.

I'd recommend Zoom or Pro, with the decision of which based on your wants and needs. If you're heavy into photography/videography with need for lots of control over it, particularly aperture, then Pro is what you want. If you just need a good general purpose camera, then Zoom will fit the bill, with the added function of zoom.

I figure if you have been happy with the Mini, then Zoom is probably your best bet for function over price.

Reactions: Gindra
I'd agree if you want a very good stable drone, that (for the $) takes the best photos of arguably the best consumer drone manufacturer, then the M2P is the way to go.

If you wanted to simply fly a great stable drone, and take very reasonable photos and video, grab a MPP (Mavic Pro Platinum), they are a fantastic piece of aircraft, and can be had for a very low price now . . . I'd recommend getting the flymore package with any DJI product.

Reactions: Jet skier
The M2P, M2Z, and MPP all use ocusyc, so best connection in urban versus your mini wifi.

The MPP doesn't have optical zoom, just digital, which in general isn't worth using . . . it's a drone though, most times you can get closer quite easily to bring something into frame better :)

Thanks for your advices, just wanted to know does zoom and platinum has the range ( in urban areas) as good as enterprise?
All of the M2s use the same body, with Enterprise having some variation to accommodate the top mount accessories and self-heating batteries. The transmission is the same, using Occusync 2 which is an improvement from Occusync 1 that MPP uses.

Then do you mean to say that the MPZ or MPE has better transmission than MPP?
Better protocol to punch through interference. Also has 5Ghz band to work with as well as 2.4Ghz. 2.4Ghz can penetrate better, but has less speed capability and much more crowded. 5Ghz has more channels, but more susceptible to attenuation.

Then do you mean to say that the MPZ or MPE has better transmission than MPP?

There isn't much in it (ocusync 1.0 and 2.0).
Here's a good article explaining differences . . .

The important thing here is you can fly a M1P or MPP for many km / miles, well beyond VLOS.
Generally 7 km / 4 miles is achievable with good LOS (flying from an elevated position), and seen in this forum in the long range record thread.
For sure, one should stick to the drone rules in general, but there is obviously a lot of interest from some pilots in long range flights.

So what is it you are concerned about ?
Your environment (urban, lots of tall trees around, terrain / hills, or other) ?

Is it just keeping signal as compared to the mini ?

I have seen quite a lot of videos showing the mini to drop out in urban surrounds at around 700m to 1km, but no one can tell for sure why from a video.
It could be a lot to do with how the pilot has antenna set up, height AGL, increasing ground interference, or increasing wifi interference.

The important thing here is you can fly a M1P or MPP for many km / miles, well beyond VLOS.
Generally 7 km / 4 miles is achievable with good LOS (flying from an elevated position), and seen in this forum in the long range record thread.
For sure, one should stick to the drone rules in general, but there is obviously a lot of interest from some pilots in long range flights.

Your environment (urban, lots of tall trees around, terrain / hills, or other) ?

I have seen quite a lot of videos showing the mini to drop out in urban surrounds at around 700m to 1km, but no one can tell for sure why from a video.
It could be a lot to do with how the pilot has antenna set up, height AGL, increasing ground interference, or increasing wifi interference.

I have tried my mini mainly in urban areas lots of buildings and cellular towers but I generally fly above them say 10-15 mtrs and the transmission is very unreliable . For instance I tried it once it went upto 1km and the next day in the same direction with everything remaining same like my antenna,wind , height,etc it couldn't go beyond 300mtrs with a warning signs like wireless interference, weak signal and then RC disconnected , hence making it unreliable with the distance.

And I read the article which you had suggested and it does say that occusync 2 is better.

Well, what to do .
Budget is not an issue ?

I have tried my mini mainly in urban areas lots of buildings and cellular towers but I generally fly above them say 10-15 mtrs and the transmission is very unreliable . For instance I tried it once it went upto 1km and the next day in the same direction with everything remaining same like my antenna,wind , height,etc it couldn't go beyond 300mtrs with a warning signs like wireless interference, weak signal and then RC disconnected , hence making it unreliable with the distance.

And I read the article which you had suggested and it does say that occusync 2 is better.

Well, what to do .
Budget is not an issue ?

All this info makes a clearer picture.

I'd avoid flying closer than say 30m any sort of high voltage power lines, cellular towers, large buildings with any drone.
It's simply dangerous to expect any signal to be totally reliable in all cases like this.

Ocusync 1.0 on the M1P / MPP on 2.4ghz still has the intelligent switching between 3 transmission channels, and picks the best one for the circumstances.
Even though the Ocusync 2.0 has 1080 over longer distances, I've never had a change in mine up to 1km, and shorter distances where there is any sort of tree or terrain coming into play.

Here's another good article re signal frequencies and pro cons, but this one also covers differences between DJI wifi, ocusync 1.0 and 2.0 and their Lightbridge (found in other various models).

Personally, I think you'd find a major improvement in flight capabilities (distance and resistance to interference) with the MPP, far and above the wifi mini, spark, air.

Whether the extra 5.8ghz channel in ocusync 2.0 would help if you really want to / have to fly closer to interference sources, I'm not sure about if that would assist at all there . . . I'm not sure, but assume again ocusync 2.0 would switch between 2.4 and 5.8 depending on best for the surroundings.

If you want the ocusync 2.0, and as stated no probs with the $ over the earlier MPP, then you can choose the better camera on the Pro (mostly better photos), or maybe the Zoom with it's relatively decent optical zoom, which means you can stay back from some places, and still get decent photos.

The zoom use in flight is not without some minor issues though, mostly exposure change if zooming in when taking video.
Best to get the zoom where needed, exposure right, then start and stay on that zoom level for the clip.

I know, it's hard to make a choice when presented with these sorts of options, and the best thing sometimes is to err on the side of caution, and go with what you think is better, even if you don't really need it.

Reactions: Platinum 4 ever
Then what's wrong with M2E ? I can also mount speakers to disturb the already disturbing neighborhood ??
Considering,here we do not have any rules for flying drones

Then what's wrong with M2E ? I can also mount speakers to disturb the already disturbing neighborhood ??
Considering,here we do not have any rules for flying drones

Nothing wrong with an M2E, it's usually a cost / need thing.
The M2E actually doesn't have some of the intelligent flight modes / Quickshots though I'm pretty sure, will just check . . .

Not sure if this has changed since the OP . . .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54