DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What Should I Do Signal Loss?

Ray&Paula

Reactions
As a newbie, I would like to know what to do if I have a signal loss with my MA? Can I try to reconnect to the DJI Go4 app and/or restart the RC without effecting the MA during flight? Please correct me if I'm wrong, I believe that the RC is operable even if I lose connection other than having a battery issue. I always have all the RTH features enabled and I understand that the MA will RTH after a signal loss. I normally use Precision Takeoff RTH on land. I do plan on flying from my boat in which case I would change it to Hover along with continuous RTH to remote location. Please, let me know how to safely reconnect if I ever have that issue? I'd like to add, I changed my USB / Lightning cable to a much better Anker cable between my RC and iPad Air 2. Thanks, Ray :)

Ray, there is loads of information on this subject on this site, you just need to search for it. However, as a "newbie" I would highly recommend that you stay well away from flying from your boat until your are completely & totally confident that you can fly your MA unaided by any of the automatic flight functions. There are also loads of horror stories of drones lost when flying off a boat - it is far from easy!!

Within my first few flights I lost signal and it was doing a rth.. Only it thought my roof was home...
Panic set in, I rebooted the remote and was able to regain control while the unit was hovering there. So in that case yes you can.
I've read that pressing the rth button will cancel the rth process. But I'm untested, I plan on doing rth testing soon to feel more confident with it.

I wouldn't risk it from boat just yet. Takes alot of nerve to even fly over water (at least for me)

I have refresh and don't ever want to use it!

My first loss of full video & I flipped to the map view to see the aircraft orientation which I was able to point towards me and fly back. Video came back pretty quick as I flew within a better range.

I haven’t had the RC fully disconnect but when it does the shut down and start up process is just something that’ll have to be done without panic

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
I have 1st hand experience of killing my Mavic Air by flying from a boat and the subsequent heartache and the repair costs is just not enough to take the risk. Don't do it.

Reactions: mad monkey
On a boat, a lot of different factors come to play that for a beginner are bound to cause trouble.
Not too long ago, there was a topic where a Mavic Air took off by itself and flew into the pilot because the props were idling on a rocking boat, making the quad think it needed to lift off.

Not to mention magnetic interference which is more likely to occur on a boat with metal in it. Plenty of pilots who calibrated their quad within a field of magnetic distortion, only to see it fly away once it flew out of it.

Then there's the constant moving of the home point. The deck the drone took off from may very well be water by the time it returns to home because you drifted a few feet away.

So as mentioned above, I'd highly recommend not to attempt flying from a boat yet until you fully master the quad and have a complete understanding of its systems and features.

A disconnect can be quite stressful by itself. So it's best to keep any distractions at a minimum at first.

Thanks goes out to all of you! I will certainly take your advice. I have been flying a lot manually and have been hand launching/catching with success. I'll keep practicing......... so far, so good. My confidence grows each time I fly. Thanks again for the help. Ray Thumbswayup:)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121