DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What should I wish for?

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
I recently read in the forum a question regarding the life expectancy of a Mavic 2 Pro. This question led me to start thinking about what would I actually wish for in order to sell my 2 year old Mavic 2 Pro and buy a new Mavic 3 Pro. Perhaps something like more sensors (thinking Skydio) especially on the sides. To my way of thinking, the M2P with its intelligent flight modes and excellent camera are already pretty special. So my question is , what would be the new stuff that DJI should add to prompt me to purchase a replacement for my already good M2P?

what would I actually wish for in order to sell my 2 year old Mavic 2 Pro and buy a new Mavic 3 Pro.
Good question. For me it would have to be pretty substantial and that's hard for me to qualify. I'm really pleased with the 2. Primary reasons for me to change would be industry standard change that would make my bird obsolete e.g. memory card standard, container standard (h.264.h.265,?????).

I recently read in the forum a question regarding the life expectancy of a Mavic 2 Pro. This question led me to start thinking about what would I actually wish for in order to sell my 2 year old Mavic 2 Pro and buy a new Mavic 3 Pro. Perhaps something like more sensors (thinking Skydio) especially on the sides. To my way of thinking, the M2P with its intelligent flight modes and excellent camera are already pretty special. So my question is , what would be the new stuff that DJI should add to prompt me to purchase a replacement for my already good M2P?
better stabilization for sunset hyperlapses? hehe

I don't have much here as im an Air 2 person.. i would trade up though for goggle support and some optical zoom functions for pictures.

Reactions: Hauptmann
Great question, Dale, one I've contemplated plenty. My wish list below, in no particular order:

1. Longer flight time--in the order of 45-50 min.(dependent on more advanced battery technology);
2. Optical zoom lens with 1" sensor;
3. Powerful built-in, remotely switchable strobes, to extend VLOS;
4. More sophisticated collision avoidance, ala Skydio, as you mentioned;
5. Built-in transponder, so ATC will KNOW who's flying where they ain't supposed to; This should help weed out the bad guys, and relieve pressure on the rest of us;
6. More open architecture to allow better integration with third-party vendors, such as Litchi.

I predict that whatever DJI does with MP3, upgrading will be a no-brainer, at least for those of us with the $$$.

Great question, Dale, one I've contemplated plenty. My wish list below, in no particular order:

1. Longer flight time--in the order of 45-50 min.(dependent on more advanced battery technology);
5. Built-in transponder, so ATC will KNOW who's flying where they ain't supposed to; This should help weed out the bad guys, and relieve pressure on the rest of us;
6. More open architecture to allow better integration with third-party vendors, such as Litchi.

I predict that whatever DJI does with MP3, upgrading will be a no-brainer, at least for those of us with the $$$.
For me, I'd add to your list the accessories for the Mavic Enterprise series either compatible with the Mavic 3, or a new set that would be compatible. Maybe even a new UPDATED smart controller that would come with it with a better price than the current smart controller.

You have a nice list there Hauptmann, all good. For me though, I would have to go for Door #3. I'm sure that the INTEGRATED strobes that DJI could come up with would be at the top of my list. I can't bring myself to attaching strobes disguised as BRICKS to my Mavic2!

My sad list:
  1. Lens mount. I know my Canon lenses aren't going to mount there, but it'd be nifty to be able to put a fisheye or telephoto on there. I know I know, not going to happen.
  2. PTO (power takeoff) for easy access to power for accessories.
  3. Parachute for loss of power or Oh Sheet! situations.
  4. Bombay doors (don't ask why, I've got some devious thoughts)

Here in Sweden, we have a dispensation to fly the current drone until 31/12 2022, so I can wait for Mavic 3 or a drone that has the above wishes and maybe a little more.

Flight path replication. More than a few waypoints. You select a previous flight record, and it executes the exact path in GPS, altitude, x,y,z speed, gimbal... everything in the txt file.

Built in strobes, optical zoom lens with the one inch sensor, and rain resistant, requiring no rain suit. Also batteries with even longer life and are safer from bulging and fire.

Flight path replication. More than a few waypoints. You select a previous flight record, and it executes the exact path in GPS, altitude, x,y,z speed, gimbal... everything in the txt file.
You can do this right now, with Litchi

How about multiple, simultaneous camera FPV views. The main camera, one down, one back, and one on each side. Ok, and one up. The RC would display the main front camera as large and default. The other views could be smaller on the bottom of the screen, and switchable, like we do with the map. How to get this done is not my problem. But if they make it, I'll throw a pile of money at it.

You can do this right now, with Litchi
You mean you can fly any path, land, and repeat it? Or do you have to design it first on a computer, then fly it?

Built in strobes, optical zoom lens with the one inch sensor, and rain resistant, requiring no rain suit. Also batteries with even longer life and are safer from bulging and fire.
Well...this simple question is providing us all with a nice wish list. Let's hope that the "deciders" at DJI will be reading these posts and take our suggestions into consideration as they design the new M3P.

Reactions: TTP and Hauptmann

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan