DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What software to use for editing my Mavic Air 2 footage

chswong

Reactions
I recently upgraded my drone from Mavic Air to Mavic Air 2. I used the same setting for taking video for the 2 drones. I found that the resulting video from Mavic Air 2 is much softer, duller and much less contrast. I used to edit in iMovie in my MacBook Pro to adjust the colour and contrast apart from stabilising the image. I pre-set sharpness in the drone. However sharpness cannot be pre-set in Mavic Air 2. Now I am faced with replacing my video editor that has sharpening tool as iMovie does not have it. What are your recommendations? I just need a basic software that can do the job.

I recently upgraded my drone from Mavic Air to Mavic Air 2. I used the same setting for taking video for the 2 drones. I found that the resulting video from Mavic Air 2 is much softer, duller and much less contrast. I used to edit in iMovie in my MacBook Pro to adjust the colour and contrast apart from stabilising the image. I pre-set sharpness in the drone. However sharpness cannot be pre-set in Mavic Air 2. Now I am faced with replacing my video editor that has sharpening tool as iMovie does not have it. What are your recommendations? I just need a basic software that can do the job.

in your use case I would suggest DaVinci Resolve. It is great!!

Are you using DCine-like setting for video. If yes, then your images will look a little flat in color like shooting RAW. But you will have more color correction capabilities.
Walkmnn

Thanks for your suggestion. I noticed that DaVinci Resolve require 16 GB of memory whereas my MacBook Pro only has 8 GB. How is it running on your laptop?

Are you using DCine-like setting for video. If yes, then your images will look a little flat in color like shooting RAW. But you will have more color correction capabilities.
Walkmnn

Yes I use D-Cinelike setting for both my Mavic Air and Mavic Air 2. But the latter give a much duller video. That does not matter as I use iMovie to edit the colour. But iMovie does not have sharpening tool.

I use Filmora and I am quite happy with it. It runs smoothly even on laptops with limited resources and the final result is very nice. The editing is not complicated, import and export of files is without too much hassle as is for example with Adobe Premiere.
One big minus - the Pro version doesn't support H265, while the standard version does, which is very strange. But the standard version is OK, this is what I am using.

I use Final Cut Pro X and although it can be used for any sort of editing, I find all the options to do things that I’ve never dreamed of pretty freaking cool. There is not a lot that I can’t edit. It’s a bit over the top but man can I get some great post work. There are a lot out there but this works for me as I’m a semi professional videographer and just got in to editing 4K drone footage. I’ll post some drone footage I edited later today when I get home. There are a lot of good software options out there so Good luck finding the right software that works for your particular situation.

Thanks for your suggestion. I noticed that DaVinci Resolve require 16 GB of memory whereas my MacBook Pro only has 8 GB. How is it running on your laptop?

Works on my 8Gig PC, but takes a LONG time to switch tabs. I need to get more ram.

Update: I am using DaVinci Resolve in the past 6 months and it is definitely the best editing and color grading software I have used so far. The free version is perfect. BUT you need a serious hardware to get it going smoothly :(
I bought a new PC for this purpose.

Update: I am using DaVinci Resolve in the past 6 months and it is definitely the best editing and color grading software I have used so far. The free version is perfect. BUT you need a serious hardware to get it going smoothly :(
I bought a new PC for this purpose.

I run it on my HP laptop and it does fine once I upgraded the memory to 16GB. It ran on 8GB, but you had to be VERY patient.

I ran both Resolve and Filmora on my six year old MacBook Pro with 8GB RAM, and Filmora worked like a champ, while Resolve moved pretty slowly.

My new MacBook Pro has 32GB RAM, so I’m back to using Resolve, for its outstanding color grading. The various LUTs available seem to know all about the sharpness of DJI cameras, and typically make the right adjustments for me.

If you have an iPad and want to keep costs down you should look at LumaFusion. In the past I have used Adobe Premier, Final Cut Pro which are expensive and have lots of functionality that I never used.
Last year I moved onto LumaFusion at £29 in the UK and found it gave me all I needed.
Recently I changed my old 2012 iMac for the new MacMini with the M1 chip which is now going into all Apples new machines and was surprised to learn that the M1 chip is the same as IOS and LumaFusion works on both which is a game changer. When out with my drones I can upload the footage onto my iPad and then when back home send it with a single command from within LumaFusion across to my Mac and it opens up automatically into a LumaFusion project for working on. All for a single £29 payment, regular upgrades and enough editing functionality for the average leisure flyer.
Sorry it’s a bit long winded but maybe a consideration for the future as more and more iPhone/iPad apps will also work on the future maca

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MacPilot55